Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

On 8/7/2021 at 1:02 PM, Forge said:

The alternative is that you walk away. That's always the alternative. That's what Carolina did with Dougie. They felt he wasn't worth it, they offered a contract that they felt he was worth and he moved on. Honestly, for Edmonton, that's an easier pill to digest because they could have traded him similar to what Columbus did with Seth Jones. If they are comparable players and he would have generated a comparable return, that's a pretty nice one. 

Just because you don't sign one player you developed doesn't mean that you aren't signing all players you develop. It's okay to let some people go. The devils are going to have this problem in a year when Severson comes up. If he's looking for a deal at that 7 - 8 range, I hope that they walk away. I like Severson just fine but I don't think I like him that much and he'll be hard to replace, and he's a lifelong devil that they developed...but sometimes you have to do it. 

I'm not going to argue that this the market for top tier defensemen. It certainly is. So I understand why they felt that they had to pay him that. But like Severson, I just don't like Nurse that much. The Seth Jones deal really butchered the market in my opinion because I think he's trending downward and isn't as great as we are led to believe, but that opens the door to a much wider range of players getting similar 

Carolina did what they think was best for Carolina. I understand everyone’s trepidation I just feel one size doesn’t fit all. Edmonton is in a different situation and Holland is under tremendous pressure to win over the next four years.

Edmonton lost Larson and Klefbom (He likely won’t play again) and as a team that’s, “going for it,” I don’t see a method of replacing Nurse either through trade or free agency. Losing your top three defence men in one season presents a massive problem. Those player losses as much as Nurse determine the contract. You can let a player walk but when the defence has been decimated by losing your #1 and #3 defencemen I feel you have to hold onto number 2. If a million dollar a year overpayment is required so be it.

I don’t know how you feel about team construction but it seems the most sought after pieces are #1 centre, #1 dman and #1Goaltender so unless you have a replacement player in the pipeline or are able to trade for a player of similar skill you need to manage your roster around those pieces. I won’t assume Holland tried to trade Nurse. I doubt he did but obviously we don’t know. It’s also easy to speculate on trades but unless you find a willing partner, willing to give up the required assets it’s  a moot point. I guess what I’m trying to say is trading Nurse would require the Oilers to get a number one defencemen back and that’s not likely. Draft picks won’t cut it nor would wingers given what Holland did in free agency and the 

I agree about the market being set to high. The Makar contract to an RFA changed the outlook and the Jones, Hamilton and Werenski contracts through everything out of balance.

Personally I am not a fan of 7 and 8 year contracts but it seems to be what’s handed out to the top free agents. 

On 8/7/2021 at 12:55 PM, Forge said:

I mean, every defender has that issue, but Nurse's numbers are third line pairing awful without Connor last year. 

Not to mention that not everyone has Drai on a secondary line, and he was still not great with Drai. A lot of puck luck there (97% save percentage over 200 minutes ) but they gave up more scoring chances than they had and were basically dead even on high danger chances. 

He's also coming off a year where his shooting percentage as a whole doubled over his career. So Edmonton bought him high for sure in that regard. 

His shooting percentage increased however his points per 60 are pretty consistent. I found this to be an interesting article.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/now-established-as-oilers-1-d-man-darnell-nurse-in-strong-position-as-contract-talks-heat-up

My only real issue with the Nurse contract is the structure. It’s buyout proof which isn’t good.

I watch every game the Oilers play and his play is certainly not third line defender away from McDavid. What has been a problem is team depth beyond the first two lines. 

5 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

Personally I am not a fan of 7 and 8 year contracts but it seems to be what’s handed out to the top free agents. 

Same. This is a much bigger sticking point to me than the AAV on most contracts.