WaPo article expected Thursday detailing major issues inside Redskins Park

18 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Given how crazy the environment was here, I can't say I blame Swearinger for speaking out though.  

It is exactly why he has played for so many other teams and can't stick because he is very opinionated.  

You can say those things in house, you can’t say them to the media multiple times and except to keep your job, anywhere. He didn't think Jay was tough enough to stand up to him, and Jay showed him when he cut him.

Just now, turtle28 said:

You can say those things in house, you can’t say them to the media multiple times and except to keep your job, anywhere. He didn't think Jay was tough enough to stand up to him, and Jay showed him when he cut him.

I mean, Gruden should have been terminated for trying to play the tough guy, too.  

The one thing that is a struggle to compare professional sports and our jobs is the media.  So I get what you are saying, but the culture here was really bad.  If a player thinks that is the only way people are going to listen to him, well, I can't fault that line of thinking when things were the way they were with the club at the time.  

The closest comparison I have is that I was getting dumped on at work when I was starting out as an assistant manager.  My GM had broken his leg, and was only in the store for a little bit and everything fell on me.  He was not pulling his weight working at home, and everything was left to me.  I was frustrated.  Instead of talking to him, I went to the GM of the other location and we basically commiserated.  I complained, she never told me to go talk to him and took it to the owner because she did not have a great relationship with my GM.  The owner was not happy with me.  I went outside the chain of command, which even he wasn't necessarily upset with, but that myself and the other GM did nothing to solve the problem and just let it fester.  

I ended up going back and apologizing to my GM.  We were close then, and I should have talked to him about it.  We worked through it and are still close today, even though he no longer works with us.  I ended up moving up in the company and still there today.  

If communication is breaking down, sometimes you don't have a choice in speaking out if you think you are going to get heard.  The fact that Gruden responded the way he did indicates a toxic culture, so I can understand where Swearinger is coming from.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I mean, Gruden should have been terminated for trying to play the tough guy, too.  

The one thing that is a struggle to compare professional sports and our jobs is the media.  So I get what you are saying, but the culture here was really bad.  If a player thinks that is the only way people are going to listen to him, well, I can't fault that line of thinking when things were the way they were with the club at the time.  

The closest comparison I have is that I was getting dumped on at work when I was starting out as an assistant manager.  My GM had broken his leg, and was only in the store for a little bit and everything fell on me.  He was not pulling his weight working at home, and everything was left to me.  I was frustrated.  Instead of talking to him, I went to the GM of the other location and we basically commiserated.  I complained, she never told me to go talk to him and took it to the owner because she did not have a great relationship with my GM.  The owner was not happy with me.  I went outside the chain of command, which even he wasn't necessarily upset with, but that myself and the other GM did nothing to solve the problem and just let it fester.  

I ended up going back and apologizing to my GM.  We were close then, and I should have talked to him about it.  We worked through it and are still close today, even though he no longer works with us.  I ended up moving up in the company and still there today.  

If communication is breaking down, sometimes you don't have a choice in speaking out if you think you are going to get heard.  The fact that Gruden responded the way he did indicates a toxic culture, so I can understand where Swearinger is coming from.  

Yes, but I only heard Swearinger do this. Other players didn't. That points to him being more of the problem when 52 other guys don't agree with him.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Yes, but I only heard Swearinger do this. Other players didn't. That points to him being more of the problem when 52 other guys don't agree with him.

With how many leaks the organization has, how you can you so sure?  Swearinger put his name on it, I kinda admire that given how everything else happens around here. 

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

With how many leaks the organization has, how you can you so sure?  Swearinger put his name on it, I kinda admire that given how everything else happens around here. 

I can't be sure, but I can be sure that Swearinger got what was coming to him and now look at him, yeah he's on the Saints - the team where he whiffed on multiple tackles at NO in 2017 - but he’s a minimum contract player making $1.1 million bc no one wants to put up with his crap. Arizona decided not to keep him for the 2nd time after signing him last year. He also played on 3 teams last year bc no one wanted to keep him, not only Az, but also NO & Oakland.

Meanwhile, it didn't take Jay long to get an offensive coordinator job at all - what he's best at anyways.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I promise you if you go to the media and bad mouth the company you work for it’s not going to turn out in your favor. 

It did because he got the opportunity to play for another team. While you can point to how many teams he has been on, the Main Point is he is still in the league. Now playing for a real Super Bowl contender in the New Orleans Saints. Same in reality when you win a Unemployment Case. The former Employee is still receiving until they find new Employment. 

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The reason it was ok to let Swearinger go was because you can't have players airing internal grievances all the time to reporters. Some stuff should stay in house and be dealt with in house.

Bottom line, Swearinger wasn't wrong in what he said but how he handled it was wrong. He had been told multiple times to quit going to the press and doing interviews with reporters about how players weren't practicing as hard as they should be, how players weren't doing extra remedies to keep their bodies healthy throughout the year outside of just what they did at practice with the trainers and he wasn't wrong abtout the team not being prepared, but you can't have guys doing what he did in the media. Just imagine in 53 guys did that, you can't have it.

He's putting his body and life on the line. He has no time doing that and withholding information that may be the cause of why the Team is losing. Remember the Player's are asked question's. He clearly answered a question Honestly. The Coaching Staff wasn't putting the Team in position to Win Games. Those are Facts. 

Gruden than took those Facts and used them against DJ instead of Properly learning from the player for the Purpose of Winning Football Games. 

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

What you're not seeing in Swearinger’s texts is what Swearinger said about Manusky or Gruden before that text exchange. If he cursed them both out and said I wana fight you to them personally or to his defensive teammates then, that's what prompted Gruden’s response.

This is exactly the reason that DJSwearinger can not stick with any organization more than a season or two. He’s conceited, and always thinks he's knows better than everyone else, meanwhile he's missing tackles and blowing coverages on the field at the same time.

I think your giving Manusky way too much credit when it's clear he was a Terrible DC. Sweariger on the other hand was having a Pro Bowl season before being released. 

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The reason it was ok to let Swearinger go was because you can't have players airing internal grievances all the time to reporters. Some stuff should stay in house and be dealt with in house.

Bottom line, Swearinger wasn't wrong in what he said but how he handled it was wrong. He had been told multiple times to quit going to the press and doing interviews with reporters about how players weren't practicing as hard as they should be, how players weren't doing extra remedies to keep their bodies healthy throughout the year outside of just what they did at practice with the trainers and he wasn't wrong abtout the team not being prepared, but you can't have guys doing what he did in the media. Just imagine in 53 guys did that, you can't have it.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Like 1

12 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Completely understand. But you didn't go outside the company. You went to a new location and talked to the GM there (so different coach or going to the Execs in the Front Office) but you didn't go outside the company.

Think of what Swearinger did a different way.

You can't be the Coca-Cola delivery guy and badmouth the company every time someone asks about it. Or badmouth your bosses within earshot.

Should Gruden have been fired? Yeah. For a great many things.

But Swearinger had options that didn't include airing his grievances in the press (re: outside the organization or the NFLPA). He chose not to exercise those options. 

All this being said, I do admire that he didn't become one of the guys leaking stuff who remained "Anonymous". 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When I'm putting my body/life on the line to do my Job and part of my job is to answer Questions, what do you want me to do? Also I have a sh××× Coach in Gruden disrespecting Me/Teammates plus the Game of Football over a freaking Female. What are you doing about that other than Firing Me? Nothing, Dan kept Bruce and Gruden. That's why their having the off-season they're having now. You want DJ to pull the Marshawn Lynch "I'm just here to play football" route

Your Position of Power should make you a Leader and able to handle situations with Professionalism. This situation and many other's weren't. Once again I can't blame DJ for the positions he took with the Inappropriate behavior that was going on with those in positions of Power above him. 

You yourself have called them out and know their behavior is cause of DJ and other players True comments/complaints.

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I can't be sure, but I can be sure that Swearinger got what was coming to him and now look at him, yeah he's on the Saints - the team where he whiffed on multiple tackles at NO in 2017 - but he’s a minimum contract player making $1.1 million bc no one wants to put up with his crap. Arizona decided not to keep him for the 2nd time after signing him last year. He also played on 3 teams last year bc no one wanted to keep him, not only Az, but also NO & Oakland.

Meanwhile, it didn't take Jay long to get an offensive coordinator job at all - what he's best at anyways.

This mindset is why they "Sucked" for so long. You wanna cheer for the Coach winning no Championships. As you said he's a Coordinator! DJ on the other hand actually is risking body harm, he doesn't have time for a coach of Gruden's personality type of BS. 

Edited by Skins212689

12 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

I think your giving Manusky way too much credit when it's clear he was a Terrible DC. Sweariger on the other hand was having a Pro Bowl season before being released. 

I’m not giving Manusky any credit, what I’m saying is you can not undermine the organization & the coaching staff as a player and expect to remain there. None of us could do this at our jobs, we’d be canned, same as Swearinger.

I always thought he was a fake leader anyways. I liked his tenacity but he was a fake leader who talked a lot of ish and for the most part didn’t back it up on the field. He had a lot of missed tackles and while he has capable in coverage, he and Norman both blew a lot of coverage assignments to the point where Norman was benched vs the Saints in 2018 after putting his headphones on at halftime while Gruden was addressing the team and Swearinger’s play didn’t back up his mouth and truthfully it never has, that’s why he doesn’t stay anywhere very long. The guy has been in the NFL for 6 seasons and has been 7 teams - and he’s had two stints in Arizona, where neither time they kept him long term.

Thats all you need to know about Swearinger, Period.

Im not defending Jay or Manusky, but I for sure wouldn’t be trying to defend a malcontent average player either who’s mouth is bigger than his bite.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

This mindset is why they "Sucked" for so long. You wanna cheer for the Coach winning no Championships. As you said he's a Coordinator! DJ on the other hand actually is risking body harm, he doesn't have time for a coach of Gruden's personality type of BS. 

Every player risks bodily harm and most of them are paid millions to do it, so am I going to feel sorry for someone like Swearinger who’s getting paid millions for dollars to play a game that any of us would love to get paid a million dollars for a year or w/ the Redskins he got paid $4 million a year?

No, I don’t feel sorry for Swearinger. That guy is trouble. He’s been trouble since he came into the league. He creates problems in locker rooms and with every coaching staff he’s been with.

He didn’t just have a problem in DC. He was drafted by the Texans - a much better organization than ours since they were an expansion team in 2000 - and, they cut him after two years in his rookie deal. He went to Tampa who also didn’t keep him. He then went to Arizona and played for them in 2016 and, they didn’t want to re-sign him and we signed him in 2017. 

He was in the league for 3 years and was on 3 teams (signed and cut in Az & then brought back). Then he was with us and created problems in the lockeroom and with coaches in 2017 and 2018 and was finally cut. Then, he went back to Arizona to finish out the 2018 season.

Last year he was on 3 teams, 3 teams in one season (Az, Oakland & New Orleans).

And someone else is the problem and not him?

Come on dude! People can’t stand him! 

Look at how many teams he’s been on?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SweaDJ00.htm

There’s a saying that goes sometimes when you keep having problems everywhere you go for a job or something else, everyone else isn’t the problem! You’re the Problem! And that’s DJ Swearinger in a nutshell! He is a talented player and a good safety, but he’s a problem!

Edited by turtle28