2021 Draft order if 2020 season cancelled

sammymvpknight

5 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

Outside the Bucs which non-playoff team is gonna break through. The Colts maybe? But Rivers looked washed. Sooooo

Using the system that I outlined in the OP (the system used by the 2004 NHL)...the Bucs stand the most to gain and the Jaguars stand the most to lose.

Whichever way results in Philly getting Micah Parsons, Hamsah Nasirildeen, Caleb Farley, and Shi Smith should be the way. Oh, and Chazz Surratt too.

Everyone else should be free to sign with whichever team they want as free agents.

Edited by Jeezla

On 8/10/2020 at 3:56 AM, Killashaw said:

Anything other than a completely random draw would be unfair. 

I'd be weary about that. The NHL screwed up their draft lottery and I'd hate to see the NFL doing the same. The fact Alexis Lafrenière could have landed in a Pittsburgh, Toronto, Edmonton, etc would have been a mess for so many reasons.

On 8/10/2020 at 5:56 AM, Killashaw said:

Anything other than a completely random draw would be unfair. 

2 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

KC having the same chance at a #1 pick as JAX is fair?

IMO, you randomize it completely, within 3 ranges.

1-10 from 2020 are randomized. 11-20 Are randomized, and 21-32 are randomized.

17 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

KC having the same chance at a #1 pick as JAX is fair?

Yes, because normally the draft order is based on the season ranking. If there's no season, you can't just say let's use the season before for any kind of measurement (whether that's 1-10 11-20 21-32 in draws, or exact the same order as 2020). You should not get punished because you were good in 2020. Maybe KC would go 1-16 in the new season, you just don't know. 

No season = Not 1 objective measurement for the draft order = completely random. That's just the only way that's fair.

18 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'd be weary about that. The NHL screwed up their draft lottery and I'd hate to see the NFL doing the same. The fact Alexis Lafrenière could have landed in a Pittsburgh, Toronto, Edmonton, etc would have been a mess for so many reasons.

I get the concerns, but it's just an unique situation and would only be for one year. You can't award a tanking team with 2x a top pick.  And you can't punish a team that went all out last season and now turns into rebuild mode to give them a ****ty pick again, while there team now is probably bottom 16 instead of top 16. 

31 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

You use the last time they actually played games as one tool of measurement, the 2019 season.

You have already used that one tool. If you wanna use a tool you have already used, you have to do a draw to decide which tool you're gonna use twice. So put in 2010 till 2019 in a bowl, draw and the draft order from the year that's picked is the draft order.

Otherwise, you can't just use a tool twice, since it's simply not fair to give teams a top pick twice, just bc they were bad 2 years ago. 

Edited by Killashaw

14 minutes ago, Killashaw said:

You have already used that one tool. If you wanna use a tool you have already used, you have to do a draw to decide which tool you're gonna use twice. So put in 2010 till 2019 in a bowl, draw and the draft order from the year that's picked is the draft order.

Otherwise, you can't just use a tool twice, since it's simply not fair to give teams a top pick twice, just bc they were bad 2 years ago. 

Or since it has a chance of giving the Bills the #32 overall pick.

In reality, if I'm the NFL, I'm splitting it into the three proposed groups: 1-10, 11-20, and 21-32. Then I'm not only randomizing the teams within their groups, I'm randomizing that draft order EACH round. 

Another variation would be to randomize within those groups and then offer a snake draft. That way, teams that finished really poorly in 2019 and are likely to be not good in 2020 will still get their premium player, but teams that barely made the playoffs, like the Bills and Texans, will be able to pick a player twice before the - let's say Bengals - get a chance at another player.

18 minutes ago, Killashaw said:

You'd use the 2020 records as a basis for some type a lottery.