CFB Misc News Thread

naptownskinsfan

11 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Interesting

Now they're ex-Disney people so if South Park is right, and they usually are, not sure we want this.

https://x.com/On3sports/status/1843643841653682548?t=d0K8nczCwTbEVJnS6rCtvw&s=19

So we’re going to split this into something that the NCAA doesn’t have any oversight on.  

This is gonna be weird, and a rollercoaster.  

• Like 1

On 10/10/2024 at 8:29 AM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Interesting

Now they're ex-Disney people so if South Park is right, and they usually are, not sure we want this.

https://x.com/On3sports/status/1843643841653682548?t=d0K8nczCwTbEVJnS6rCtvw&s=19

lol of course it's the only entity more needlessly litigious than the NCAA that wants to take over

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I have no issue with what Dan Lanning did whatsoever. It was smart and within the rules. It was an obvious loophole and now it will get corrected but good on them for taking advantage.

Absolutely agreed. It's just ****ty to see OSU be the reason multiple rule revisions (assuming) happen. 

39 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I have no issue with what Dan Lanning did whatsoever. It was smart and within the rules. It was an obvious loophole and now it will get corrected but good on them for taking advantage.

One coach practices situational football, another has teams who seemingly consistently make mistakes and shoot themselves in the foot in those same situations, while having a defensive coordinator blitz 2 linebackers and drop all 4 DL on game altering 3rd and 9 opportunities.

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

LOL That was quick.....

IMO, they should do what the NFL does and make it a 15 yard penalty and automatic first down. IIRC, it’s that for playing with 12, whereas 5 if your guy is trying/guys are trying to get off the field and not participating.

Do we believe that he intentionally sent a 12 man on the field to milk 4 seconds off the clock? I'm not sure I do, but I don't know if I understand the angles well.

Wouldn't the flag negate a sac or turnover and actually stop the clock on a sac? If time had run out on the play OSU would have gotten a free play with zeroes on the clock? Trading 5 yards for 4 seconds when the team is on the verge of FG range, leaving them with plenty of time and a timeout? Only saved because Howard took too long on the scramble and they didn't get the timeout in by 1/2 a second?

I might be very, very, very wrong but it seems insane to make that move on purpose.

10 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

Do we believe that he intentionally sent a 12 man on the field to milk 4 seconds off the clock? I'm not sure I do, but I don't know if I understand the angles well.

Wouldn't the flag negate a sac or turnover and actually stop the clock on a sac? If time had run out on the play OSU would have gotten a free play with zeroes on the clock? Trading 5 yards for 4 seconds when the team is on the verge of FG range, leaving them with plenty of time and a timeout? Only saved because Howard took too long on the scramble and they didn't get the timeout in by 1/2 a second?

I might be very, very, very wrong but it seems insane to make that move on purpose.

He said he did so yeah, kinda. The fact that guy came out on the field very, very late in the play clock suggests that to be true as well

He's likely fine w/ the sack or TO b/c there wasn't much time left and milking clock was more important in that situation.

Fastest rule revision in NCAA history??

https://www.on3.com/news/ncaa-closes-loophole-for-illegal-substitution-after-oregon-12-man-penalty-vs-ohio-state/

“After the Two-Minute Timeout in either half, if the defense commits a substitution foul and 12 or more players are on the field and participate in a down, officials will penalize the defense for the foul and at the option of the offended team, reset the game clock back to the time displayed at the snap.

“The game clock will then restart on the next snap. If the 12th defender was attempting to exit but was still on the field at the snap and had no influence on the play, then the normal substitution penalty would be enforced with no clock adjustment.”

15 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

that is so ******* lame

The last sentence doesn't help anything. Dude can literally run out there, then turn around and start walking back to the sidelines like he's trying to get off the field but taking his happy *** time. This would lead to "well he was coming off the field" arguments and if the offense notices and waits, they get hit w/ a delay of game penalty.

On 10/16/2024 at 4:41 PM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

The last sentence doesn't help anything. Dude can literally run out there, then turn around and start walking back to the sidelines like he's trying to get off the field but taking his happy *** time. This would lead to "well he was coming off the field" arguments and if the offense notices and waits, they get hit w/ a delay of game penalty.

But doing that defeats the purpose of having an extra man. If he isn't participating then the team isn't getting the benefit it wanted