CFB Misc News Thread

naptownskinsfan

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Call me when your kids can pass the SAT

I'd have to make some kids first. And I don't have your number.

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

@jrry32 I think you have me confused with another person.

I am NOT oblivious to certain programs getting special treatment. I want that gone. I want computer making decisions.

See, I don't want that gone. Bama, OSU, Clemson, etc. get special treatment because their teams are generally stacked with NFL talent.

Edited by jrry32

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

It’s like when people bring up “OSU cheats.” I know they do, I was friends and knew some 4 and 5 star kids they recruited.

I want the BS gone even though it would be a death penalty for OSU.

I don't really want the cheating gone either (as long as the players aren't being fairly compensated). Kids might as well get paid by somebody if they're going to get exploited.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

See, I don't want that gone. Bama, OSU, Clemson, etc. get special treatment because their teams are generally stacked with NFL talent.

What does that have to do with college football? We might as well just make the final 4 or 8 based on recruiting rankings then and call college football the minor leagues.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I don't really want the cheating gone either (as long as the players aren't being fairly compensated). Kids might as well get paid by somebody if they're going to get exploited.

I think ultimately this is why my passion for college football has died down dramatically. I might be getting soft as I get older, but these kids need compensated.

Like, I always knew how college football was, but as I see how awful economically this country has become, I’ve become more angry.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

What does that have to do with college football? We might as well just make the final 4 or 8 based on recruiting rankings then and call college football the minor leagues.

What I'm saying is the Committee should take the quality of the games into account. Alabama has stomped teams left and right. Florida is likely going to get stomped on Saturday. But if by some miracle they beat Bama, I'd rather see Florida get in than watch TAMU get stomped 52-24 again by Bama. We can bicker over resumes and what not. I want to watch good football. 

What bearing does NFL talent have on making sure that team gets in the tournament? Vanderbilt doesn't automatically get consideration for the CWS because they have the most MLB talent on their team. North Carolina doesn't automatically get a bid to the NCAA tournament's 68 because they have 6 McDonald's All-Americans that wouldn't gone top 20 out of high school. That's such a narrowminded viewpoint and takes any type of fun out of collegiate sports.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

What I'm saying is the Committee should take the quality of the games into account. Alabama has stomped teams left and right. Florida is likely going to get stomped on Saturday. But if by some miracle they beat Bama, I'd rather see Florida get in than watch TAMU get stomped 52-24 again by Bama. We can bicker over resumes and what not. I want to watch good football. 

Yes because the "quality of football" with the perception of NFL talent has stopped Ohio State, Notre Dame, Clemson, Oklahoma and the like from getting beat down on the national stage. The simple fact is, we're not guaranteed good football regardless of what program gets the bid. 

The only way to get around this stupid narrative is to expand the playoff to 8, 12 or 16. 

Edited by beekay414

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Yes because the "quality of football" with the perception of NFL talent has stopped Ohio State, Notre Dame, Clemson, Oklahoma and the like from getting beat down on the national stage. The simple fact is, we're not guaranteed good football regardless of what program gets the bid. 

The only way to get around this stupid narrative is to expand the playoff to 8, 12 or 16. 

I've already supported expanding the playoffs multiple times in this thread.

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

What bearing does NFL talent have on making sure that team gets in the tournament? Vanderbilt doesn't automatically get consideration for the CWS because they have the most MLB talent on their team. North Carolina doesn't automatically get a bid to the NCAA tournament's 68 because they have 6 McDonald's All-Americans that wouldn't gone top 20 out of high school. That's such a narrowminded viewpoint and takes any type of fun out of collegiate sports.

How do they pick seeds for March Madness? I've never actually looked into that. Is it all CPU driven?

Just now, jrry32 said:

How do they pick seeds for March Madness? I've never actually looked into that. Is it all CPU driven?

Yes, the basketball committee uses quadrant level wins and resumes. In the recent past they used computer rankings as a way to seed teams before they switched to quadrants which are also based on certain computer formula ranks.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

That's what we get for letting Michigan State into the party.

Yeah, that's not even remotely the issue. That's all 12 games averages. So, LIS, spare me the "quality football" narrative. 6 of the 12 games have been decided by 20 or more. Three of them have been 1 score games. 9 of the 12 have been 10+ point wins.

Edited by beekay414