Julie Donaldson replaces Larry Michael

RSkinGM

4 hours ago, offbyone said:

Oh I thought she would be the play by play, that was Larry's job.  Will she take cooley's role?

I thought Larry Michael was decent at times, but that booth was always confusing for years as sonny/sam were transitioning away.  I thought they found some stability at the end that was decent.  

Most people here complained about Larry Michaels (as a broadcaster).  Now people are complaining that they hired someone else?  I will judge the product, once I hear it.  

Larry Michael was boring and arrogant and apparently also a womanizer. Snyder also fired Frank Herzog - Redskins broadcaster during all 3 Super Bowls - while Frank was still in the later years of his prime to hire his yes man Larry. 

So most fans who had been fans for decades didn’t like Larry to begin with, but he did himself no favors with his arrogance and how boring he was.

I think that Cooley does a great job as the color guy, but I wish they’d put Doc Walker in the box next to Cooley or bring in a former defender like Lorenzo Alexander or Kedric Golston. It’s nice to have both perspectives from both sides of the ball the way they Sonny & Sam did.

I'm happy for Julie, but not happy that they didn’t hire someone with experience in play by play for this huge role. Steve Buckhantz, Chick Hernandez or Pete Medhurst - who does Navy games would have been better choices Imo.

Edited by turtle28

2 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

thing about julia is that she's very good about staying professional about not judging the team if we are good or bad. So its probably what snyder wants.

Yeah, that’s true and I’m sure his wife had an influence in this decision and it’s not a bad thing, I just worry bc she has no experience doing play by play but, she’s obviously smart and can learn it and do well.

Have nothing against Julie or a women getting the Job,but it happening so soon after the Wapo article feels like it a good will hiring and not something best person for the job getting the job.

But also know we're getting closer to on the field stuff happening so prob had to look within the area to hire close to the team so she does make a lot of sense.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I feel Chick Hernandez, Steve Buckhantz or Pete Medhurst should have gotten this job, instead they are turning the play by play over to someone who is inexperienced in that area.

Why does she need PBP experience? She's hiring someone for that. Read the article out there or the posts. She's apparently not doing PBP.

55 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Why does she need PBP experience? She's hiring someone for that. Read the article out there or the posts. She's apparently not doing PBP.

I had heard differently on the news, if that’s not the case then good. I like her and think she does a great job, she’s much more enjoyable than Larry Michael.

I hope she hires Chick or Buckhantz, from I can tell she always had a good relationship with both.

20 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I had heard differently on the news, if that’s not the case then good. I like her and think she does a great job, she’s much more enjoyable than Larry Michael.

I hope she hires Chick or Buckhantz, from I can tell she always had a good relationship with both.

How about B Mitch and Cooley with the PBP person  ?

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

It's funny too. You can make the jokes about when women do it, but I honestly don't care when Beth Mowins does a game. It's a part of it like the rest of them and you get used to it. I think Doris Burke is fantastic. Mendoza is okay too. 

Suzyn Waldman is great on Yankees broadcasts.  When I was going to Orioles games, I would be coming home listening to MLB Network Radio and they had a lot of Yankees games on and I got to hear her quite a bit.  

Pete Medhurst lives a community over from me and I have plenty of experience with his Navy calls, I would have liked to see him get a chance with this.  

That being said, the only time I would hear Larry Michael was on the pre-game show in the parking lot, or if I happened to be on the road during a game.  And that would normally be one time a year with my work Christmas party, or the Thursday night game coming back from vacation (I got home during the beginning of the second quarter.  But I might listen to it more over the TV if it was worthwhile listening to. 

46 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Also it seems that this is just related to radio and content for the team's broadcast platforms.  Larry Michael did more than that, and this is not attempting to replace him in all of those roles.  

Yes, @MikeT14 was correct about that. She's being put in a place of replacing Larry Michael in that role, but not play by play. As Mikey said, she's either going to be hiring the next play by play person or likely be involved in that hiring in some way.

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yes, @MikeT14 was correct about that. She's being put in a place of replacing Larry Michael in that role, but not play by play. As Mikey said, she's either going to be hiring the next play by play person or likely be involved in that hiring in some way.

I’m not referring to that, I’m referring to behind the scenes things for the organization, nothing related to on the air 

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Suzyn Waldman is great on Yankees broadcasts.  When I was going to Orioles games, I would be coming home listening to MLB Network Radio and they had a lot of Yankees games on and I got to hear her quite a bit.  

Pete Medhurst lives a community over from me and I have plenty of experience with his Navy calls, I would have liked to see him get a chance with this.  

That being said, the only time I would hear Larry Michael was on the pre-game show in the parking lot, or if I happened to be on the road during a game.  And that would normally be one time a year with my work Christmas party, or the Thursday night game coming back from vacation (I got home during the beginning of the second quarter.  But I might listen to it more over the TV if it was worthwhile listening to. 

Please watch you language.  No slurs in the "Washington" forum :)

6 hours ago, e16bball said:

Were you anyway?

That’s a serious question, I’ve always been curious how everybody on the forum follows the team’s games, whether they’ve got Sunday Ticket or get all the games on TV locally or listen on the radio (or some combo of both) or have some sneaky internet way to watch. 

I had to get Sunday Ticket once I moved back to Westminster, where the Ravens games get home market priority and the Redskins are only on the local channels about 5-6 times a year. I couldn’t do the radio though — mostly the only time I listen on the radio now is when I’m in the car and running late to somewhere I’m going to watch the game. I used to listen on the radio when I was a kid, but Larry Michael on PBP was never the same for me — nothing that isn’t Sonny, Sam, and Frank will probably be the same. 

Apparently she’s not doing the PBP, that’s probably a plus.

Per 1st bolded - I was on some broadcasts because I couldn't stand Joe Buck and some others.I'd have the game on TV, but sound down and listening to the radio instead.

Per 2nd bolded - Just found out in the last 15 minutes that she's not doing PBP, so that's good.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I like Julie Donaldson, I still hate that NBCSportsWashington didn’t re-sign Chick Hernandez and downgraded to Julie. Again Julie does a good job, but much like what NBCSPORTS/Monumental did with getting rid of Phil Chenier and then the following year, Steve Buckhantz, I have serious problems with what they are doing and what a damn joke they have turned Comcast Sports Net into. 

It used to be a professional company with professional broadcasts where people wore suits and conducted themselves in such a way on air and in the way that they presented themselves that it rivaled that of ESPN and in a lot of ways I fell it was better than ESPN, especially bc they focused on DC sports.

I feel Chick Hernandez, Steve Buckhantz or Pete Medhurst should have gotten this job, instead they are turning the play by play over to someone who is inexperienced in that area.

I like Julie a lot and I hope she does a good job, bc if she screws up on air she’ll never hear the end of it and neither will the organization for giving that huge job to someone who doesn’t have 5-10-20 years of play by play experience.

Chicks a weirdo. I liked him a lot but I think his twitter kinda alludes to the reason he wasn’t brought back. 

Julie Donaldson is pretty awesome. Does an extremely good job with her reporting and she’s easy on the eyes as well. I like the hire and think she’ll flourish.