Packers should trade Rodgers in 2021

VonKarman

2 hours ago, VonKarman said:

If you listen to the Packers podcast he made a few weeks after that article, he says that the more he thinks about it, the more sense it makes to trade him in 2021.

Except there isn't going to really be a 2020

9 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Realistic thinking.  Favre got a third round pick and a no Vikings clause from the Jets and he had whaffled on retirement for four years.

The jersey sales alone for a crap team might push it to a first round pick. Trades aren’t always about player talentz

Depends on how far the evolution of the Lamar Jackson prototypical quarterback goes....Whether it's a passing fancy or not, has yet to be seen...A few years ago, Rodgers was still a decent runner with the ball, but he's been more tentative since his injuries....It may take a team with a strong line/effective running game, in need of a game managing quarterback in his 40's, for this to come to fruition.... 

1 hour ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Depends on how far the evolution of the Lamar Jackson prototypical quarterback goes....Whether it's a passing fancy or not, has yet to be seen...A few years ago, Rodgers was still a decent runner with the ball, but he's been more tentative since his injuries....It may take a team with a strong line/effective running game, in need of a game managing quarterback in his 40's, for this to come to fruition.... 

Lamar Jackson has a shelf life.  It's the unfortunate truth.  I don't care how gifted you are, you keep taking hits the way he will take hits by running and you will not last long. 

176 rushing attempts last year.  176.  For comparison, that's 53 more attempts than Michael Vick ever had on a season. 

Lamar Jackson has one and two for first and second most rushing attempts by a QB in an NFL season. 

Cam Newton has the next 4. 

Now think of Cam Newton.  Cam Newton is 31 years old, but is that as old as you'd guess he is based on the state of his body? 

I don't care how athletically gifted you are, if you put yourself at risk that many times as a QB, you're not making it much past 30 in the NFL.

6 hours ago, spilltray said:

Except there isn't going to really be a 2020

I see Rodgers with the Packers for 2 years and realistically 3 years as long as they are a top tier team.  Love is young and he will get his chance but no sooner than 2022.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Lamar Jackson has a shelf life.  It's the unfortunate truth.  I don't care how gifted you are, you keep taking hits the way he will take hits by running and you will not last long. 

176 rushing attempts last year.  176.  For comparison, that's 53 more attempts than Michael Vick ever had on a season. 

Lamar Jackson has one and two for first and second most rushing attempts by a QB in an NFL season. 

Now think of Cam Newton.  Cam Newton is 31 years old, but is that as old as you'd guess he is based on the state of his body? 

I don't care how athletically gifted you are, if you put yourself at risk that many times as a QB, you're not making it much past 30 in the NFL.

No arguments here...Agree on both accounts....

To put this into perspective, Russell Wilson has averaged 90 rushing attempts per season. He's rushing less now than he did earlier in his career. Also, Wilson at 5-11, 215 is built like a running back, better suited to take the punishment. Jackson is 6-2, 212. Jackson might be able to continue this for a while, but he'll need to adjust if he wants to have a long career.  

Cam's 31?  Wow.  Time flies.  I would have pegged him at 28-29.  Did not know that.  (And that isn't his "state of body" age.)

Concerning Rodgers, now, he is not more "tentative" since the injuries, he simply doesn't have the speed anymore.  He's right at the point where he can still run a little, but knows he can't do what he once did.  Almost like his eyes are telling him he can move, but those feet are saying "No way, bro."

And honestly, the way he can still throw it and the way he can see defenses, he could be the best pocket passer in the league if he delivered the ball on time and worked the middle of the field more.  He has all the arm and all the brain needed to be an elite QB in the pocket.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

This looks like the worst of all worlds.

It is so hard to find a good QB that if Love is good enough to flash, he should be kept for two years and then (assuming he has the talent) take over from AR. Getting rid of your young QB who is showing signs of improving and keeping one so close to the end of his career, is madness.

I laughed out loud and ridiculed NE for dumping Garoppolo and keeping Brady.

Given the failure rate for drafting QBs the chances are rather better than 50/50 that anything you get from trading Love, is a wasted pick on another QB who fails to replace Rodgers. 

If Love looks like he can be starter-level quality, you look at the fates of teams that have chased a QB for decades without much luck (hello Bears) and you keep him.

Since that trade, New England have won more super bowls than the 49ers

Its way too early to be discussing this. At this point we don't know if Love can play in the NFL let alone be a legit starter, another year in the system and Rodgers could easily be a big comeback player next season - he's had a real wakeup call that he might not have long left. 

After Rodgers, we may not ever see a good QB again (wave back to Chicago fans) in our lifetime so I think very carefully before doing this. 2021 seems to early but if Rodgers does have another down year then you have to consider it. If you let go of Rodgers too early and Love busts then you have a made a monumental error. 

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Concerning Rodgers, now, he is not more "tentative" since the injuries, he simply doesn't have the speed anymore.  He's right at the point where he can still run a little, but knows he can't do what he once did.  Almost like his eyes are telling him he can move, but those feet are saying "No way, bro."

I'm talking about when the pocket is collapsing and Rodgers starts jigging around.....In the NFCCG last year, we had more first downs, total yards and led in time of possession....Rodgers' two interceptions certainly didn't help....

Edited by 40Year Pack Fan