Official Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

Week one should be interesting, my guess is we run alot fo 21 and 22 personal if Reed stays healthy. At this point KB, Pettis, and Taylor get alot of playing time early on as our starters. I wish Deebo, and aiyuk where healthy, Would love to see this offense with McKinnon, Mostert, and juszczyk.  

Edited by 49erurtaza
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Once again, I'm going to state my piqued interest in Hokit. Really want to get him on the PS and maybe see about taking over for Juice next season. 

Also, while Pettis got all that love a couple of days ago, my understanding from Barrows is that he's otherwise been somewhat meh. He's basically had one great practice is my impression. 

52 minutes ago, Forge said:

Once again, I'm going to state my piqued interest in Hokit. Really want to get him on the PS and maybe see about taking over for Juice next season. 

Also, while Pettis got all that love a couple of days ago, my understanding from Barrows is that he's otherwise been somewhat meh. He's basically had one great practice is my impression. 

Rooting for Hokit as well. Talented dude...And no, I'm not biased...sort of lol. 

9 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

I'm starting to think Jason Verrett might win the starting job from Mosley. So Mosley will be week 2 starter. 

Doubt it. Moseley by all reports has been great and Spoon has come on as of late and has been taking starter reps. I think they wanted to see what they had in Verrett but Moseley will be the guy week 1. Now, if Williams cannot go? I would not be surprised if they move Moseley to the slot and then I guess Verrett and Spoon can battle for the RCB spot. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Doubt it. Moseley by all reports has been great and Spoon has come on as of late and has been taking starter reps. I think they wanted to see what they had in Verrett but Moseley will be the guy week 1. Now, if Williams cannot go? I would not be surprised if they move Moseley to the slot and then I guess Verrett and Spoon can battle for the RCB spot. 

My thinking is that Moseley starts outside and just moves inside to the nickel and Spoon is on the outside, opposite Sherm in those instances.

But they've been saying Moore has looked pretty good at nickelback also so that may be another wrinkle they roll out. 3 safeties on the field to could be intriguing...

The thing about the playing the slot in this scheme is that you have to be a good and willing tackler. Williams and Moseley fit the bill there. Haven't seen enough of Moore to gauge him there but Verrett isn't the greatest versus the run. Jamar Taylor has taken the most reps at camp at nickel so if he makes the roster, they may give him a shot there early. But I'd be mildly surprises if it wasn't Moseley initially though. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

My thinking is that Moseley starts outside and just moves inside to the nickel and Spoon is on the outside, opposite Sherm in those instances.

But they've been saying Moore has looked pretty good at nickelback also so that may be another wrinkle they roll out. 3 safeties on the field to could be intriguing...

The thing about the playing the slot in this scheme is that you have to be a good and willing tackler. Williams and Moseley fit the bill there. Haven't seen enough of Moore to gauge him there but Verrett isn't the greatest versus the run. Jamar Taylor has taken the most reps at camp at nickel so if he makes the roster, they may give him a shot there early. But I'd be mildly surprises if it wasn't Moseley initially though. 

Moore is just a good player period. He's going to get time one way or another. We saw it in the SB in how Saleh was using him on the three safety look. Moore was at times playing single high and then other times pressing Kelce at the LOS. 

Either way, Moseley will be the starter and he deserves to be the starter from his performance last season. Spoon is better than him when he is on his game, but he hasn't shown in three years he could be consistent from beginning to the end. Good to hear he has been dominating the last few practices though. As for Verrett? All the talk from Sherm and Saleh is good and all, but we know better than to rely on someone so injury prone who doesn't have the same speed anymore. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Moore is just a good player period. He's going to get time one way or another. We saw it in the SB in how Saleh was using him on the three safety look. Moore was at times playing single high and then other times pressing Kelce at the LOS. 

Either way, Moseley will be the starter and he deserves to be the starter from his performance last season. Spoon is better than him when he is on his game, but he hasn't shown in three years he could be consistent from beginning to the end. Good to hear he has been dominating the last few practices though. As for Verrett? All the talk from Sherm and Saleh is good and all, but we know better than to rely on someone so injury prone who doesn't have the same speed anymore. 

I agree with almost everything in here. The last bit about Verrett not having the speed anymore I will disagree with. I read something earlier in the off-season saying they clocked him at around 22 mph in practice. I think he’s finally regained his explosion. I’ll see if I can find it again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Barrows thinks that we would keep Moseley on the outside and the slot job would go to Taylor

29 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I agree with almost everything in here. The last bit about Verrett not having the speed anymore I will disagree with. I read something earlier in the off-season saying they clocked him at around 22 mph in practice. I think he’s finally regained his explosion. I’ll see if I can find it again.

I did read that as well. Good for him if he got it back but he definitely needs his quickness/speed to be effective with his style and size. 

29 minutes ago, Forge said:

Barrows thinks that we would keep Moseley on the outside and the slot job would go to Taylor

Meh, Taylor isn't good. But whatever I guess. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Meh, Taylor isn't good. But whatever I guess. 

But his best season as a pro came from the slot, so that's something I guess. 

I do believe that it makes sense to prep for life after Williams (I don't think that the team can bring him back next year; slot corners are too easily replaced to be paying him 9 million per year, which is what the top of the slot cornerback market is). Moseley a guy you want to keep on the outside, unfortunately I don't know who we have that we would want to put in the slot long term (it's not Taylor lol). 

58 minutes ago, Forge said:

But his best season as a pro came from the slot, so that's something I guess. 

I do believe that it makes sense to prep for life after Williams (I don't think that the team can bring him back next year; slot corners are too easily replaced to be paying him 9 million per year, which is what the top of the slot cornerback market is). Moseley a guy you want to keep on the outside, unfortunately I don't know who we have that we would want to put in the slot long term (it's not Taylor lol). 

That's why I was so pissed about losing Reed. We don't know if he would have been as effective as Williams has been in the new scheme but it was obvious he was being groomed to get a at least a one year audition for the 2021 season. 

3 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I really hope these reports about Pettis aren't just hot air. If he could return to the level of play he was exhibiting during the end of his rookie year he could be huge for us, especially with all the injuries we've had at receiver. Sounds like we're going to sign Cracraft BTW. 

2 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I really hope these reports about Pettis aren't just hot air. If he could return to the level of play he was exhibiting during the end of his rookie year he could be huge for us, especially with all the injuries we've had at receiver. Sounds like we're going to sign Cracraft BTW. 

Meh camp body, seems like they wanted someone who some what new the offense. Since he worked with our old QB coach last year. 

• Like 1