Official Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I don't buy it for a second; I quoted NCFinest in the other thread about. I think it's just a requirement that we be mentioned as a possible suitor for every big name that comes available lol

Really is, any player that becomes available and we are linked to them. Could be that we just do a bunch of solids to agents around the league or this team truly inquires about every big name player. But don't worry, when Thomas signs with the Cowboys, Grant Cohn will surely report the 49ers were out bid for him lol. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You guys will put respect on this man's name soon enough!!! 

I'm going to miss him when he's gone. 

Ward just needs to come down with some INTs and he can make the Pro Bowl. 

100%. It's nice to see him finally living up to the actual talent. Hoping the body holds up again (well, mostly...he did miss the start of the season) 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm going to miss him when he's gone. 

100%. It's nice to see him finally living up to the actual talent. Hoping the body holds up again (well, mostly...he did miss the start of the season) 

Agreed! His biggest concern were his injuries. I hope he’s able to stay healthy because he played at a high level for us last year. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Solly is definitely making the team. Only one of Givens/Daniels. 

But should it be that way??

Long term thinking here but if Solly isn't going stick around past this year, why potentially lose a young, developing stud DT just to give Solly another shot?

All reports out of TC have said that Solly has looked good...but so have Daniels and Givens. They're both substantially cheaper than Solly and with the cap going down next year, why risk losing a young, dirt cheap DT with promise?

You're right though. They'll probably try to cut Daniels in hopes of sneaking him on the practice squad. But I'm with Forge in that I would trade him and take that money off the books for next year.

I'd trade him straight up for a young center with potential right now....wouldn't think twice.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

But should it be that way??

Long term thinking here but if Solly isn't going stick around past this year, why potentially lose a young, developing stud DT just to give Solly another shot?

All reports out of TC have said that Solly has looked good...but so have Daniels and Givens. They're both substantially cheaper than Solly and with the cap going down next year, why risk losing a young, dirt cheap DT with promise?

You're right though. They'll probably try to cut Daniels in hopes of sneaking him on the practice squad. But I'm with Forge in that I would trade him and take that money off the books for next year.

I'd trade him straight up for a young center with potential right now....wouldn't think twice.

We SURE Solly doesn't have a future on the team? Maiocco said a few months ago that he thinks there is a good chance Solly is re-signed since he won't be too expensive. Practice is practice and our interior OL is far from great, but it seems like Solly has really been disruptive behind the LOS. 

• Like 1

We SURE Solly doesn't have a future on the team? Maiocco said a few months ago that he thinks there is a good chance Solly is re-signed since he won't be too expensive. Practice is practice and our interior OL is far from great, but it seems like Solly has really been disruptive behind the LOS. 

I mean what's "not too expensive" though?

5 per?

7?

That's still expensive for a team who need to try to re-sign others like DJ Jones, Moseley and probably Brunskill after this year. Not to mention McG and Warner will be due up after 2021. We have to trim the fat somewhere. 

It's not like I want to trade Solly just because. I'm looking at roster management and how we definitely will have to spend money on the interior O-Line and CB just to keep our window open next year. It would be foolish to rely solely on the draft to plug those holes.

10 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I mean what's "not too expensive" though?

5 per?

7?

This is likely about right. Quinton Jefferson got 2 years, 12 million this off season from the Bills. He's had 3 sacks each of the last two years. Doesn't take much to get the salaries up there. Paying 5-7 million for a guy that may generate a couple of sacks a year in a limited role is just not something we can do this year. Someone may give him a 1 year, 5 million dollar deal just to see if anything is there and that's a drop in the bucket for a lot of team. I mean, thats basically the same deal we gave Cooper (think it was 4 million) to never play a down for us on the offensive line. 

• Like 1

The problem is that it really doesn't help that Kinlaw has not been good in camp. He's likely not ready to play anything more than a highly limited role on defense, which means that Solly may end up getting something like a 60-70% snap share. Like, we may actually have to rely on him this year and that kind of sucks for a few different reasons. Word is that Kinlaw struggled again today. 

Also, Coleman still needs to go as well, tbh. Reviews on Hasty have been super positive. Still can't believe we kept coleman to let that 2 million vest, but we can still get back that 2.5 by cutting him and use that for next season. 

• Like 1