Official Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

23 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

#33 in slot? Anyway we can get Moore on the field, I am a fan of. Seems like our Safeties are having a darn good camp and that our defense will once again be carrying this offense until it is healthy. Just need Kinlaw to pick up the learning curve a little faster and I will have no doubts about us being a potential top 3 Defense.

With Williams out for a few weeks, looks like they are trying different bodies at the slot. Moore in the SB was used as a safety in dime looks but a few times he came up to the LOS and matched up with Kelce. He did have the DPI on a crucial 3rd down that got the Chiefs back in the game. But he definitely looks like a promising player and needs more time on the field. Our trio of safeties may he top 5-7 in the league. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Good news about McKivitz & Givens...not good news for Kinlaw. Seems like an underwhelming camp so far for him

And the talk on mckivitz has been that he's largely underwhelmed this camp similar to Skule last year (though apparently he looks much better this year). That's not a good look for kinlaw at all in my opinion

1 hour ago, Forge said:

And the talk on mckivitz has been that he's largely underwhelmed this camp similar to Skule last year (though apparently he looks much better this year). That's not a good look for kinlaw at all in my opinion

Meh, not too worried. I've heard he's looked much better in the team portions than during the 1-on-1's. 

Kinlaw is raw and I knew he would have to develop a lot more technique. I saw some ppl saying he could have a similar impact like Bosa and be in contention for DPOY and I just laughed. He's no where near as developed as Bosa was.

He got away with simply bullying ppl in college. Can't do that at this level so his technique in terms of being a penetrator is going to need work. He can contribute as a rookie just by simply being a gap plugger against the run. But he needs to develop as a pass-rusher and weed out the bad habits. 

Edited by 757-NINER

Just now, 757-NINER said:

Kinlaw is raw and I knew he would have to develop a lot more technique. I saw some ppl saying he could have a similar impact like Bosa and be in contention for DPOY and I just laughed. He's no where near as developed as Bosa was.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I said that during the Brown v Kinlaw debate predraft as well. He's going to take some time. 

My one and only concern for Kinlaw is the exact same as it was for Bosa...staying healthy. Nothing benefited Nick more than playing a complete season against seasoned pros, taking his lumps(which were seldom) and knowing what to work on during the off-season. The best thing for Kinlaw this season would be to remain completely healthy, while playing and learning as a rookie. And then beng able to work on his craft in the off-season instead of rehabbing some rookie injury. Staying healthy is the quickest way for young players to develop from one season to the next.

So Solly supposedly has been playing really well the last few days playing in the interior. Good to hear. Also really good to hear that Jones doesn't have a serious shoulder injury, though concussions can be tricky. 

Jennings is making the team isn't he?

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So Solly supposedly has been playing really well the last few days playing in the interior. Good to hear. Also really good to hear that Jones doesn't have a serious shoulder injury, though concussions can be tricky. 

Will be horrible if they are really thinking of playing him at the nose tackle spot though. That's kind of a joke. He played their very briefly last year and we got wrecked in the run game. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Will be horrible if they are really thinking of playing him at the nose tackle spot though. That's kind of a joke. He played their very briefly last year and we got wrecked in the run game. 

He was ~20 lbs lighter last year though. Not saying putting on weight will make all the difference but it’ll certainly benefit him. It’s crazy to me that it’s taken us this long to figure out he’s not an edge player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Meh, our base defense will have Kinlaw and Jones. But Thomas is bigger and stronger than last season and Saleh has mentioned he likes smaller, quicker NTs for this defense. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I think so, yes. 

May not be be active much, but good to see him flashing in practice every day. 

Overall though, it seems like the corners are getting the best out of WRs thus far. 

17 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

He was ~20 lbs lighter last year though. Not saying putting on weight will make all the difference but it’ll certainly benefit him. It’s crazy to me that it’s taken us this long to figure out he’s not an edge player.

He's still barely 280 pounds. Buck couldn't handle double teams at 290 in the run gameand some lighter nts can't do it at 300. DJ Jones struggled with it, for example

I don't even think the fact that we don't play a true 0 tech helps (we typically have our NT on the inside shoulder if the guard, which makes him more of a 1 tech)

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Meh, our base defense will have Kinlaw and Jones. But Thomas is bigger and stronger than last season and Saleh has mentioned he likes smaller, quicker NTs for this defense.

Yes, but Jones is hurt and Taylor won't be ready until the season's half over. If the plan is to play Thomas in the middle as an NT in the event that Jones is hurt, that's going to be a problem imo. 

If he wants smaller, quicker NTs, I think this team made a weird choice in Kinlaw lol.