Official Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

49 minutes ago, Forge said:

Problem is that we are already thin there as is, and a guy like Spoon is good to have in the back pocket. Not many teams can throw out a 4th string outside corner who's actually flashed the ability to shut down a receiver 

If Spoon is you're third or fourth CB, you're doing pretty damn good on the backend. 

The talent is there. Spoon could start for alot of teams around the league. Before he got hurt last year, he was playing terrific ball. This is also a contract year so the urgency should be there. If he can't put it all together this year, it will never happen for him here. 

I just don't think you just trade him if he's not a starter. Depth in secondary is very hard to come by in this league. You add a healthy Verrett to the mix and suddenly this is a defense that can trot out four quailty CBs against any offense and a great nickel in Williams. That's an extremely rare luxury to have.

• Like 1

Speaking of Spoon:

15. Cornerback Ahkello Witherspoon.

Struggled against Pettis during one-on-ones, but got to play with the first-string defense in team drills for the first time in training camp and played well. Gave up no catches during that portion of practice. Defensive coordinator Robert Saleh says there’s an open competition for the No. 2 cornerback job between Witherspoon, Emmanuel Moseley and Jason Verrett. Seems obvious the coaches want Witherspoon to win the job. Today was a step in the right direction for him.

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/the-good-and-not-so-good-from-day-4-of-49ers-training-camp

Classic Cohn here. Yesterday he put him in the bad section due to him not getting any first team reps and now says the coaches want him to win the starting gig LOL.

43 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Pettis hype szn

One issue with Pettis is that he is best playing the slot where he has an option of going both ways. Almost impossible to cover.........But then the other issue is that he isn't going to fight for many balls in the middle of the field which is a MUST for a slot WR. But good to hear he is looking good and playing with more urgency. On one on one drills, this guy is as good as it gets and can give any CB a run for their money.

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Speaking of Spoon:

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/the-good-and-not-so-good-from-day-4-of-49ers-training-camp

Classic Cohn here. Yesterday he put him in the bad section due to him not getting any first team reps and now says the coaches want him to win the starting gig LOL.

One issue with Pettis is that he is best playing the slot where he has an option of going both ways. Almost impossible to cover.........But then the other issue is that he isn't going to fight for many balls in the middle of the field which is a MUST for a slot WR. But good to hear he is looking good and playing with more urgency. On one on one drills, this guy is as good as it gets and can give any CB a run for their money.

Here is qoute which actually shows he's fighting for the ball.

One play in particular reflected that. On Sunday, Pettis bobbled a short pass from C.J. Beathard, and as linebacker Fred Warner subsequently bobbled a potential interception, Pettis fought back and captured the ball for a completion. Not sure the 2018-19 Pettis would have been so successful at that.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/08/18/49ers-jimmy-garoppolo-regaining-trust-with-dante-pettis-amid-injury-riddled-receiving-corps/

Jarron Brown got signed. LIke that we've attacked the WR groups with signings. JJ Nelson and Jarron Brown are more than competent receivers. Maybe not guys you want receiving a lions share of snaps, but I honestly don't think Kendrick Bourne is better than either of them, just maybe more familiar with the system. 

1 hour ago, John232 said:

Jarron Brown got signed. LIke that we've attacked the WR groups with signings. JJ Nelson and Jarron Brown are more than competent receivers. Maybe not guys you want receiving a lions share of snaps, but I honestly don't think Kendrick Bourne is better than either of them, just maybe more familiar with the system. 

I disagree with the bolded. KB isn't a stud number 1 by any means, but he's just the type of role player receiver any team would love. He excels at moving the chains and is good in the redzone. I for one am very happy we have KB this year and hope we can bring him back next offseason. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John232 said:

Meh, they're both more physically gifted than Bourne, I'll give you that. But neither guy is a sure fire upgrade imo. They both have  been in the league for a minute and have had very little impact at their previous stops. Nelson had his moments his first 3 years in AZ but he's done very little since. And much like Benjamin, he's a deep threat with suspects hands. Brown checks all the boxes from a physical standpoint but again, has not done much in some years.

Not drinking the Kool-Aid with either guy.  There's a reason they're still on the market this time of the year. I think they could help as depth while we get some guys healthy. But not expecting much from either. 

Its ashame James is injured. This could have been a great opportunity to make a case for himself in the WR rotation. 

1 minute ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I disagree with the bolded. KB isn't a stud number 1 by any means, but he's just the type of role player receiver any team would love. He excels at moving the chains and is good in the redzone. I for one am very happy we have KB this year and hope we can bring him back next offseason. 

I think a case can be made for KB being slightly better and to his credit, he's made improvements over his career. He consistently drops open balls and he's not particularly dynamic in any way. He's also had the opportunity to step and up and really become a primary receiver and it's never happened. Now, these other guys haven't either, but thats why i think of them as being more or less on the same level. KB  is a role player, whose young and familiar with the system. He will and should be ahead of them on any depth chart. 

JJ Nelson has speed, but his career seems to be on the outs (not sure if he's been injured). Jarron Brown is sort of a big slot who will probably be an insurance body..but not a bad guy to have in that role. 

21 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Im gonna agree here, and this is coming from a guy (me) that wanted Bourne cut multiple times. Last season, he really stepped up in a big way in multiple games, I left impressed. Not a #1 by any means, but he is a SOLID #2/#3

3 minutes ago, John232 said:

I could see it happening. Notoriously hard offense to pickup and he's a rookie with a weird off-season. 

I expect a heavy platoon. 

Yeah, I could see Bourne and Taylor getting the lions share with Aiyuk, Pettis and co. rotating in. I expect big things from Taylor this year, pick up where he left off his rookie year.

Also, I would like to see Aiyuk get a little more time than the rest (outside of Taylor/Bourne) simply because I want him to adapt to the game early on and, when Deebo comes back, see what we have with those main 4 wr's

9 minutes ago, John232 said:

I could see it happening. Notoriously hard offense to pickup and he's a rookie with a weird off-season. 

I expect a heavy platoon. 

Yup. It would be hard enough for a rookie WR with a normal off-season. This pandemic-filled off-season has really put both Aiyuk and Kinlaw behind the 8-Ball in terms of game readiness. I think Aiyuk will have a specified role this year and may be eased into more volume as he progresses with the playbook. But if Taylor can remain healthy, picking up where he left off last training camp and Pettis has truly turned a corner in his development, we should be just fine until Deebo returns.

Edited by 757-NINER