Tre Roberson waived

JAF-N72EX

Former Bears CB Tre Roberson suffered broken foot training this offseason

usatsi_13371208.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

The Chicago Bears parted ways with former CFL standout cornerback Tre Roberson with a non-football injury designation on Tuesday.

Bears general manager Ryan Pace told reporters Wednesday that Roberson suffered a broken foot while training ahead of the start of the season, which he called disappointing as the team was high on him heading into training camp.

#Bears GM Ryan Pace said CB Tre Roberson suffered a broken foot training for the start of the season. Called it disappointing as they liked him. He was waived with a non-football injury on Tuesday.

Following the release of Prince Amukamara earlier this offseason, Roberson was expected to compete for the starting cornerback job opposite Kyle Fuller.

With Roberson’s release, that leaves rookie Jaylon Johnson and veterans Kevin Toliver and Artie Burns as the contenders for the starting job. While the Bears are high on Johnson, the lack of reps this offseason and in preseason could make it difficult to beat someone like Toliver, who saw his share of action last season in place of an injured Amukamara.

Chicago’s roster now stands at 83. The Bears need to make three more cuts ahead of the Aug. 16 deadline. Pace said that he expects to have it narrowed to 80 most likely by Sunday.

Edited by soulman

Ooof, hope they still pay him a little something, broken foot means he's not playing football for anybody this year.

As far as football, I'm telling you guys, Burns will compete. With Johnson we are pretty good at CB

Edited by MonserinNC
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

Ooof, hope they still pay him a little something, broken foot means he's not playing football for anybody this year.

As far as football, I'm telling you guys, Burns will compete. With Johnson we are pretty good at CB

Burns will compete but I don't think he'll be anything more than what Tolliver was last year. He's faster, but softer than Amukamara.

I believe JJ will take that #2 spot even if he struggles a bit early on.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

Roberson had like $75K guaranteed, so pennies for NFL players but still more than enough to get by. Hopefully he heals up and gets another swing next season. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 7:48 PM, MonserinNC said:

He did get a $75k signing bonus which is the second largest ever given a CFL player.  Based on that I'd say they still want him back.

Oops, didn't see Shane's post before I posted.....sorry.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 2:21 AM, RJ_11 said:

He cleared waivers so he's back on the Bears reserve/non-Football injury list at least. Hopefully get to see what he's got next season.

this was my question. we signed him to a 2 year deal, so does that mean he's on our IR for the season?

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

this was my question. we signed him to a 2 year deal, so does that mean he's on our IR for the season?

No.  He was waived injured so he's not on IR.  He can't return this season.  The reserve/future list is to retain the right to a player whose cleared waivers for next season.