Way Too Early 2021 Draft Wish List

xrade

5 hours ago, xrade said:

And what, if like JA, he want to be on a contender which the Jets are not?  The Colts have a lot of cap next year as do the Patriots and Ravens.  They are a bit closer to contending than us and may outbid us.  Next question, why has no other team swooped in a traded for this "great" player?

Most teams don't have the cap space. And the ones that do aren't as bad at edge as we are.

On 8/24/2020 at 7:13 AM, Bobby816 said:

That certainly is a risk. But the odds of signing him after already being here, making friends and liking Williams' defense is IMO A LOT better than not being here and an UFA.

So your plan is to trade a premium pick to up our chances at signing a FA next season?

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

So your plan is to trade a premium pick to up our chances at signing a FA next season?

That's part of it yes... but what about this season where the division is wide open and we're a defense that is a good edge away from possibly being a great defense. Making the load on our offense not as hard. To make us contend possibly. And yes it ups our chances of probably signing him long term. With the talent we have already on D, the good young players we are starting to draft and Williams as DC... I think resigning Yannik if traded for wouldn't be that difficult tbh. It appears you think we will trade for him and he will leave in a year. Where I think if we trade for him there's a 90% chance he resigns with us. As I stated... the odds of who that 2nd rounder would be being as good as Yannik is slim to none.

37 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

That's part of it yes... but what about this season where the division is wide open and we're a defense that is a good edge away from possibly being a great defense. Making the load on our offense not as hard. To make us contend possibly. And yes it ups our chances of probably signing him long term. With the talent we have already on D, the good young players we are starting to draft and Williams as DC... I think resigning Yannik if traded for wouldn't be that difficult tbh. It appears you think we will trade for him and he will leave in a year. Where I think if we trade for him there's a 90% chance he resigns with us. As I stated... the odds of who that 2nd rounder would be being as good as Yannik is slim to none.

I actually think we would keep him if we traded for him because if we didn't it would be embarrassing.  I also wouldn't touch him in FA at his 20M asking price either.  So I definitely don't want to lose a 2nd and be forced to overpay him or get into another contact situation.  

I would love to make a run at the division because it is open but I'm not making bad decisions to do it. Glad JD feels the same.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

I actually think we would keep him if we traded for him because if we didn't it would be embarrassing.  I also wouldn't touch him in FA at his 20M asking price either.  So I definitely don't want to lose a 2nd and be forced to overpay him or get into another contact situation.  

I would love to make a run at the division because it is open but I'm not making bad decisions to do it. Glad JD feels the same.

I'm not saying we will do it. I'm just saying I think it would be smart if we did. I think Yannik with our defense would be a 10+ sack guy every year for 5+ years. Therefor I dont think paying a premium price for him is bad. He is a great pass rushers and I believe edge is a position JD values. So he wouldn't mind spending on a guy he thinks is worth it.

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I'm not saying we will do it. I'm just saying I think it would be smart if we did. I think Yannik with our defense would be a 10+ sack guy every year for 5+ years. Therefor I dont think paying a premium price for him is bad. He is a great pass rushers and I believe edge is a position JD values. So he wouldn't mind spending on a guy he thinks is worth it.

Agree to disagree I guess then.  I don't think he's that great a pass rusher.  Is he good no question is he one of the elites no.  I can't justify giving up picks and paying a premium for a non elite player.  Even if they play a premium like edge rusher.  Much rather draft one early.  I'll take my chances there.

• Like 1

I still think the jets end top with Chase as one of their picks. He is sitting out this year and I think hat will lower his draft stock because the only tape they will be over a year old. You will have some WR that will tear it up and push Chase down a few spots. I think he will not be a top 5 but a top 10 and that is where we will pick in the 6-10 spot. We could have two top 10 picks if Seattle tanks which could happen if Wilson misses time. The 49ers and Rams could be a challenge to them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jets are desperate in three areas, all three need to be addressed in the draft and in this order, DE/OLB, CB, WR,.

First things, DE has more priority than CB or WR with the first pick, CB should come with the other first round pick, than 

having a top 2nd rounder grab yourself a WR.

1. Joe Tryon or Rousseau DE  for my money I like Tryon .

2. Shawn Wade CB or Caleb Farley

3. FA/ Draft, if FA Then best RB available with the 2nd rounder. Which for me would be Travis Etinene.

4. Here is where we become deep S/CB

Elijah Moulden CB and Caden Sterns S

Note: Look for Bell either to be traded or next year released, Jenkins probably will move on, the other running backs are over the hill or 

just minor role players.

The Jets need to address this need in the draft again, and perhaps in FA as well.

I often wonder what was our best year for the Jets drafting so I looked it up and the two best years were 1977 & 2000. In 1977 we drafted Marvin Powell, Wesley Walker. Joe Klecko, & Dan Alexandera, all four were long time starters for the Jets and outstanding players. Then there was the famous 2000 Jet draft when we had FOUR first round picks and took Shawn Ellis, John Abraham, Chad Pennington, Anthony Becht. & Laveranues Coles, in a later round. Some people would say the draft when we got Joe Namath and they won't be wrong because Namath changed every thing, not only for the Jets, but the entire pro football era. I just can't imagine the people on this board  doing their mock drafts with four first round picks, I think that would really drive me over the edge. One more game like Darnold had Sunday and I will be over the edge, 

For me its no question that WR and EDGE need to be drafted Round 1. In what order I don't know., Depends on where we are drafting tbh. But those 2 spots need to be hit on. We will have to big time overpay in FA to get players here after what looks like might be a very rough season. So I don't expect any HUGE names coming to us.

Give me Rousseau or Chase with our 1st and then give me the BA of whatever position we didnt take with SEA 1st.

My way too early draft predictions are this...

We are drafting 4th overall and we get the 29th overall with SEA 1st.

1st: Greg Rousseau (Edge/Miami)

1st (from SEA): Jaylen Waddle (WR/Alabama)

2nd: Paulson Adebo (CB/Stanford)

3rd: Chubba Hubbard (RB/Oklahoma State)

3rd: Tamorrian Terry (WR/Florida State)