Way Too Early 2021 Draft Wish List

xrade

Do you realize we haven't drafted a productive WR since Jerricho Cotchery in 2004, Rob Anderson was pickup off the street & Enumwa, was hurt most of the time. All our productive WR's came from other teams, Braylon Edwards, Marshall, Decker, Crowder,. And please don't tell me about Kelsey he did next to nothing for us. This has all got to change in the next draft. What i wouldn't give to have another WAYNE CHREBET on the 2021 jets.

If anyone is interested here are a bunch of big boards from around the web. Most are between 25-50 deep so there might be some players missing from the 150 listed in their consensus. The only one I noticed was wide receiver Damonte Coxie from Memphis, probably my favorite late 2nd early 3rd round receiver 

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/big-boards/2021

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Obviously super early but WR Chase with Davis or Adams at OG would be a great start in round 1.

Would be amazing if Chase is around where Ruggs/Lamb/Jeudy went. I think the trenches and "unicorns"(Simmons) will dominate the top of the draft along with QBs. Skill guys start coming off the board mid to late first round.

8 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Would be amazing if Chase is around where Ruggs/Lamb/Jeudy went. I think the trenches and "unicorns"(Simmons) will dominate the top of the draft along with QBs. Skill guys start coming off the board mid to late first round.

Agree to an extent, I think the 2020 WR talent was relatively close and I would include Jefferson with the other three.  2021 has Chase/Smith/ Waddle as the current consensus top three and I think Chase is a better prospect than the other two.  Point being, he may come off earlier than we expect while the other two may be had in the 10-20 range.

However, we will most likely be picking top 5 so he is certainly in play.  Sigh.

I still believe in Mims & Cager showing up at some point in the year, but I'm still looking at drafting Chase unless Darnold proves he has to go. If that happens, I really like Justin Fields. As of right now, we'll be in the top-5 in cap space. We could get Juju and use the picks in the other positions. The #1 thing we really need is for Sam to prove he is good enough to hold the job so we can use the picks every where else. 

My favorite targets so far J.Chase, J.Fields, Ben Cleveland, Zaire White, and Patrick Jones II. 

13 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

If that's how things are slotting out pre draft then I'm on board with Rosseau and doing whatever it takes to move up for Chase.

On 9/16/2020 at 11:04 AM, jetfuel34 said:

Call me crazy but I think we are the worse team this year and will be picking #1. I wish I was joking but I don't see us winning 1 AFC East game. We all know how bad the AFC East is too this year. The number 1 pick should be Trevor Lawrence but I think we end up trading that pick to the Bears, Browns or even the Saints if Brees calls it a career. 

I'm gonna be honest with you, I've been scrolling thru this thread to see how long it would take to find this take. This is what I was coming in to say. Our schedule is truly brutal and we honestly are a poor team all around. I really would not be shocked if this is the year we finally got the #1 overall pick. Sam may or may not be the guy, but he is still making unacceptable mistakes in year 3 that are completely on him. His interception was terrible, and honestly, if we are in the unique position where we have the #1 overall pick and another first rounder in the 20's, this is going to be a very attractive head coaching vacancy where the new HC be able to build around Trevor Lawrence, arguably the best QB prospect ever.

We have been so bad for so long, we have withstood so many horrible coaches and horrible offenses, that we deserve a QB-HC combo that makes the rest of the league jealous, and that's exactly what we'll have if the season plays out like I think it will. Trade Darnold to a team like the Saints or Steelers, or maybe even the Bucs if Brady retires, while you still can. I just don't see anything good coming from this season and I would rather let JD and a new HC start from scratch with Lawrence. We deserve it.

The great debate is about whether it’s better to build the team then draft the QB or vice versa. Recent history shows that quarterbacks taken later (Mahomes, Watson,Jackson) by more established teams and better organizations are the only ones flourish. Right now only Josh Allen breaks the trend. 
Personally, If I was a gm I’d build the foundation and then bring in my possible franchise QB. Darnold was a Hail Mary pick by Macc trying to save his job. Desperate picks early on quarterbacks when the team is devoid of talent never seems to work. 
JD started last off-season with the o-line, but felt cap space was more important than further improving the team. We will have to see if that works. Not if but when Gase is fired, hopefully our available money and draft picks make us a desirable location for solid coaching candidates. 
Lawrence is going to cost a lot more than a few second round picks to move up to get. Unless we’re picking 1 or 2, we might be better off loading up the roster and playing it out with Darnold. I do think JD is different from Idzik and Macc. Gonna be a long season I think, and probably a much more interesting off season. But unfortunately, I think we’re all used to that by now. 
Hang in there boys!!!

1 hour ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

The great debate is about whether it’s better to build the team then draft the QB or vice versa. Recent history shows that quarterbacks taken later (Mahomes, Watson,Jackson) by more established teams and better organizations are the only ones flourish. Right now only Josh Allen breaks the trend. 
Personally, If I was a gm I’d build the foundation and then bring in my possible franchise QB. Darnold was a Hail Mary pick by Macc trying to save his job. Desperate picks early on quarterbacks when the team is devoid of talent never seems to work. 
JD started last off-season with the o-line, but felt cap space was more important than further improving the team. We will have to see if that works. Not if but when Gase is fired, hopefully our available money and draft picks make us a desirable location for solid coaching candidates. 
Lawrence is going to cost a lot more than a few second round picks to move up to get. Unless we’re picking 1 or 2, we might be better off loading up the roster and playing it out with Darnold. I do think JD is different from Idzik and Macc. Gonna be a long season I think, and probably a much more interesting off season. But unfortunately, I think we’re all used to that by now. 
Hang in there boys!!!

I would normally agree with this process but 2021 has an elite QB you can't pass on if we have the option.  Perhaps some of the other posters can enlighten us to the potential of the 2022 QB class (King an I you have pretty good insight on this stuff).  My philosophy is too build from the inside out.  Get the OL and DL, then WR and CB, then QB, RB S etc.

I am not as concerned about our OL next year.  Out OT look good (Fant is surprising me), C is OK, assuming we get Thuney or another OG in FA next year, we are set at OL.  We can pick up a WR in FA and still draft one later later in the 1st or our early 2nd and hopefully Mims pans out.  I like Crowder or Berrios in the slot assuming we keep Crowder.  That would be a better O for our new HC.

As for QB, draft Lawrence.  Trade Darnold for whatever you can get. Sign a vet (Fitz?) and have him start.  Hell, start White.  Lets see what the OL and WR can do then introduce Lawrence.  I think that approach will pay off.  If we are confident Sam is the guy (I am not at the moment), use our draft capital to get Rosseau or Chase.  Use a high pick on a CB that can press and play man.  The point of all this, I would not pass on Lawrence for an unknown QB in 2022.