Alcohol Thread!

Glen

17 minutes ago, bigjohnson2009 said:

Been messing with some bourbon lately. Where should a beginner start? I had a bottle of Larceny that went quickly. Saving for a wedding so can't currently buy anything too fancy.

If you want a nice bottle that’s $30 or under I highly recommend Wellers or Wellers antique.

@LETSGOBROWNIES @mistakey @Malfatron I liked the Woodford wheat! It was an up front honey apple with a spicy finish.

JMHO

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, bigjohnson2009 said:

Been messing with some bourbon lately. Where should a beginner start? I had a bottle of Larceny that went quickly. Saving for a wedding so can't currently buy anything too fancy.

Maker's 46. Maker's Mark is one of the best values in bourbon, and the 46 is a little smoother with a little more flavor. I've seen the 46 for $30-$35 a bottle, and regular Maker's for as low as $20.

Four Roses Single Barrel, and Knob Creek 100 proof are good for the under $40 class. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

This time of the year is the best. I am a HUGE Mad Elf fan and live like a half an hour away from Troegs so its fresh and its amazing. Anyone else a fan?

Not a Mad Elf fan but I do love Blizzard of Hops. I'm also about an hour and a half away from Treogs, you ever been to the taproom? 

10 hours ago, bigjohnson2009 said:

I feel like Bourbon is one of the best forms of Whiskey for not needing to get really "fancy" and "expensive" to get into it.

A lot of the best mid-level sort of stuff is really really good.

9 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

My favorite cheap stuff is Buffalo Trace.

Buffalo Trace has always confused me, because it's basically as expensive or sometimes even more so than things like Bulleit and Woodford Reserve here, but much much less pleasant imo.  It's fine and drinkable, but i'll never buy a bottle of it again.  It's more harsh and has an odd sweetness to it that i just didn't like.  But i can see how some might like that i guess.  Just feels cheaper and less refined to me.  Closer to a Wild Turkey or Jim Beam thing.

9 hours ago, MrDrew said:

Maker's 46. Maker's Mark is one of the best values in bourbon, and the 46 is a little smoother with a little more flavor. I've seen the 46 for $30-$35 a bottle, and regular Maker's for as low as $20.

Four Roses Single Barrel, and Knob Creek 100 proof are good for the under $40 class. 

Makers is definitely a really perfect "introductory" Bourbon.  It's just a perfectly "standard" item, it'll give you the idea in a very easy to get into way.  It's like...really nice, drinkable, extra medium Bourbon imo.  If you like it...and i bet you will, you can start to kinda branch out from there based on budget and preference.  But Makers is like the introductory sipping Bourbon, even if it is kinda slightly overpriced.

• Like 1

On 21/11/2019 at 3:09 PM, mistakey said:

Never had.  Most ryes are bad and flavorless but the good ones are spicy and the best.  Bulleit, willet, pikesville are my fav 

I've never really found Ryes to be flavourless...just...i don't like the flavour as much as other Whiskeys.  There are Ryes i like, but i prefer pretty much any other form of Whiskey in general.  

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Buffalo Trace has always confused me, because it's basically as expensive or sometimes even more so than things like Bulleit and Woodford Reserve here, but much much less pleasant imo.  It's fine and drinkable, but i'll never buy a bottle of it again.  It's more harsh and has an odd sweetness to it that i just didn't like.  But i can see how some might like that i guess.  Just feels cheaper and less refined to me.  Closer to a Wild Turkey or Jim Beam thing.

It’s pretty cheap in Ohio, sub $20.

Bulliet is &23.

Woodford is around $30 iirc (don’t buy it often).

I don’t mind Wild Turkey either (some of their stuff is pretty good actually), but Beam is terrible imo.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s pretty cheap in Ohio, sub $20.

Bulliet is &23.

Woodford is around $30 iirc (don’t buy it often).

I don’t mind Wild Turkey either (some of their stuff is pretty good actually), but Beam is terrible imo.

I feel like everything gets muddled in Canada.

You can add a 10 to each of those prices.  Except Buffalo Trace, where it becomes more expensive than Bulleit somehow.  It makes no sense.

But on the positive...Woodford is basically the same price as 12 year Glenfiddich, if not slightly more.  Is that positive?  I don't know.

Edited by Tugboat
  • Like 1

Just now, Tugboat said:

I feel like everything gets muddled in Canada.

You can add a 10 to each of those prices.  Except Buffalo Trace, where it becomes more expensive than Bulleit somehow.  It makes no sense.

But on the positive...Woodford is basically the same price as 12 year Glenfiddich.  Is that positive?  I don't know.

Yeah I’d imagine import taxes play a role.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah I’d imagine import taxes play a role.

It definitely makes it confusing.

I'm a big fan of a Glenmorangie 12, but it's usually like 20-30 bucks more than a standard 12 year single malt.  I have no idea how pricing works, but i wish i was a big Canadian rye fan probably.

Edited by Tugboat
  • Like 1