Alcohol Thread!

Glen

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

In Richmond yes.  They make liquor?  I’ve heard of Dogfish head beer but not liquor.

Yup. The distillery is with the brewery in Rehoboth Beach, DE. I finally got to try it when I visited friends in Maryland. Everything I tried was good. I only got a real small taste of the whiskey though. 

17 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

Yup. The distillery is with the brewery in Rehoboth Beach, DE. I finally got to try it when I visited friends in Maryland. Everything I tried was good. I only got a real small taste of the whiskey though. 

I'll see if they have any at the ABC store.

real talk young guns

dont make the mistake i did and brush off cocktails for the entirety of my 20s.  invest in some dolin vermouth and angostura bitters and you can jazz up cheaper whiskey into amazing drinks

rye manhattans is the jaaaam

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mistakey said:

real talk young guns

dont make the mistake i did and brush off cocktails for the entirety of my 20s.  invest in some dolin vermouth and angostura bitters and you can jazz up cheaper whiskey into amazing drinks

I mostly agree with this. Good cocktails are a great way to go. 

I disagree with the Dolin though. Lustau Vermouth is where it’s at. Their sweet vermouth is great in its own.

Learn to make some classic cocktails, and the history behind them. Most prohibition era cocktails come out really good because they were made to hide some of the harshness of the spirits from the day, and they work even better with high quality stuff from today. The history of most of that era of drinks is pretty interesting, and is a cool topic of conversation. Makes you look smart too.

24 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

I mostly agree with this. Good cocktails are a great way to go. 

I disagree with the Dolin though. Lustau Vermouth is where it’s at. Their sweet vermouth is great in its own.

Learn to make some classic cocktails, and the history behind them. Most prohibition era cocktails come out really good because they were made to hide some of the harshness of the spirits from the day, and they work even better with high quality stuff from today. The history of most of that era of drinks is pretty interesting, and is a cool topic of conversation. Makes you look smart too.

I’ll try some lustau next good look

3 hours ago, mistakey said:

real talk young guns

Absolutely, these drinks haven’t hung around for decades because they suck.

For me there are only two drinks that matter. A bitters-based cocktail (Old Fashioned) and a lemon/lime-based cocktail (Daiquiri). The majority of other popular cocktails are just variations on those two. 

Old Fashioned = alcohol, bitters, simple syrup

--- Manhattan, replace syrup with vermouth

--- Sazerac, replace syrup with absinthe

--- Negroni, replace syrup with campari

Daiquiri = alcohol, lemon/lime juice, simple syrup

--- Margarita, replace simple syrup with triple sec (also known as Sidecar)

--- Mojito, add mint

--- Cosmopolitan, add cranberry juice

--- Sour, add egg white

--- Fizz, add soda water

Personally my two favorite cocktails are a gin Old Fashioned and a rye Sidecar