Raiders sign RB Theo Riddick

RaidersAreOne

15 hours ago, Superduperman said:

They probably want someone who can do something in the passing game. No Raiders RB had a receiving touchdown or more than 36 receptions last year.

Riddick ain't much taking handoffs but I bet he can still contribute as a pass catcher.

Richard is regarded as a pretty good receiving option and has played well in that role, Booker has had his moments and Jacobs figures to be at least decent though under used as a pass catcher. Bowden played some WR in college so he projects to be a very useful receiving back also.

Pass catchers out of the backfield are not going to be an issue for us, what we really need is a between the tackles guy to take some wear and tear off Jacobs and that quite clearly isn't Riddick. Seems Gruden is desperate to find his Charlie Garner still while neglecting to protect one of our best assets from excessive wear. Strange.

Edited by Darbsk

14 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Richard is regarded as a pretty good receiving option and has played well in that role, Booker has had his moments and Jacobs figures to be at least decent though under used as a pass catcher. Bowden played some WR in college so he projects to be a very useful receiving back also.

Pass catchers out of the backfield are not going to be an issue for us

I mean you're welcome to your opinion but "No Raiders RB had a receiving touchdown or more than 36 receptions last year" is pretty clear to me.

Riddick in his last 4 seasons with the Lions had 80, 50, 50, 60 receptions. I don't know what he's got left now and I'm not guaranteeing he makes the team, but he was one of the best pass catching backs in the league for a couple seasons and that's obviously what the Raiders want out of him

6 hours ago, Superduperman said:

I mean you're welcome to your opinion but "No Raiders RB had a receiving touchdown or more than 36 receptions last year" is pretty clear to me.

Riddick in his last 4 seasons with the Lions had 80, 50, 50, 60 receptions. I don't know what he's got left now and I'm not guaranteeing he makes the team, but he was one of the best pass catching backs in the league for a couple seasons and that's obviously what the Raiders want out of him

Did you watch the games though? The load was spread out quite well and we're not short of receiving backs nor lack talent there. Riddick has been a very good receiving back as you rightly say and he probably is viewed as such by Gruden hence my Charlie Garner reference but that really isn't a big issue in this offense. In order to get 60 or 70 receptions he would have to be on the field relatively often and take a lot of snaps off Jacobs and that clearly isn't happening. With regard the red zone targets and TDs we really dont tend to target RBs there, look out for the TE group though and Moreau and Witten so that's not a major issue to me.

Jacobs will be the feature back and his passing workload will increase. Richard is a good 3rd down/receiving back and he'll dig into the receptions, Ingold is supposed to have a bigger role and we also have former receiver Bowden who should get a decent amount of targets and Booker who's a good receiver too. Riddick may well be the best receiver of the bunch but the point I was making was its just overkill and what we really need is a between the tackles runner to alleviate some of Jacobs workload and extend his playing life.