Did Ravens make a mistake replacing Ozzie?

DontTazeMeBro

2 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Based on what was 2019 a strong draft?

1 - Marquise Brown WR, starter.

2 - Jaylon Furgeson LB, backup to Pernell McPhee, will likely takeover for the 31 year old linebacker.

3 - Miles Boykin WR#2 - odds on favorite to be starting wide receiver.

4 - Justice Hill RB - change of pace back/3rd down, who is likely behind Mark Ingram and rookie JK Dobbins as rumor has Gus Edwards is being shopped.

5 - Ben Powers RG - in the mix for starting right guard with competition from free agent DJ Fluker to replace all world Marshall Yanda.

6 - Iman Marshall, Corner, IR two years in a row.

7 - Daylon Mack NT,  IR 2019 then cut in 2020 due to Covid-19 restrictions and the depth at the line.

8 - Trace McSorley QB, 3rd sting QB.

6/8 Contributors, strong in my opinion.

So... this is based on Earl Thomas, in essence? I'd say it's too early to make an assessment on DeCosta as GM. 

I've always felt that Ozzie was close to retirement, and this was always viewed as a "successor" move. Nothing has really changed my mind on that.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Silver said:

1 - Marquise Brown WR, starter.

2 - Jaylon Furgeson LB, backup to Pernell McPhee, will likely takeover for the 31 year old linebacker.

3 - Miles Boykin WR#2 - odds on favorite to be starting wide receiver.

4 - Justice Hill RB - change of pace back/3rd down, who is likely behind Mark Ingram and rookie JK Dobbins as rumor has Gus Edwards is being shopped.

5 - Ben Powers RG - in the mix for starting right guard with competition from free agent DJ Fluker to replace all world Marshall Yanda.

6 - Iman Marshall, Corner, IR two years in a row.

7 - Daylon Mack NT,  IR 2019 then cut in 2020 due to Covid-19 restrictions and the depth at the line.

8 - Trace McSorley QB, 3rd sting QB.

6/8 Contributors, strong in my opinion.

Three starters, two key backup/rotation guys within the first five rounds. 

That's a fantastic draft.

• Like 1

You can add UDFA Patrick Mekari, who took over center as a rookie and startet several games.

It was also EDC who suggested to Ozzie Newsome that the Ravens traded back into the 1. round to select that Louisville WR and play him at quarterback

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Danand said:

Is this some Devils-advocate type of thing?

If its not, then its just dumb.

Dude you’re a sheep. They’ve been saying DeCosta is a genius forever and no one ever questions it. The best thing anyone can point to with his name on it is Marcus Peters and fleecing some less fortunate teams out of some mid round draft picks.

1 hour ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Dude you’re a sheep. 

C'mon, man.

They’ve been saying DeCosta is a genius forever and no one ever questions it. The best thing anyone can point to with his name on it is Marcus Peters and fleecing some less fortunate teams out of some mid round draft picks.

If you can walk away from a draft with two starting WR, a starting G, a rotational LB and rotational RB, you've done a great job. Most teams are lucky to land a single starter and a rotation guy.

Not all drafts are Jonathan Ogden/Ray Lewis...

Dude you’re a sheep. They’ve been saying DeCosta is a genius forever and no one ever questions it. The best thing anyone can point to with his name on it is Marcus Peters and fleecing some less fortunate teams out of some mid round draft picks.

I mean he's been GM for all of 2 offseasons it's just not really logistically feasible that he would already have a million obvious wins. The fact that he already has something in the win column as immediately obviously successful as the Peters trade is impressive in its own right. Lot of other things that we'll need at least till the end of the season to start evaluating on. You've got Hollywood healthy and not a rookie anymore, you've got the Calais Campbell addition, you've got turning Hayden Hurst into JK Dobbins. It's literally too early to say anything definitive but lots of reasons to be optimistic about each of those based on where we sit right now.

Yeah, EDC overreacted to the OBJ/Browns trade and whiffed hard on Earl Thomas without seemingly doing his homework on it. Certainly something you'd hope he'll learn from. But extrapolating that to mean everything else he's done also sucks? Just seems like a reach. 

I am not a sheep. I am just not reactionary and I actually try to think for myself. I was skeptic about the Marcus Peters signing, as such a talented player shouldn't be dealt for Peanuts, so something must be wrong, but so far it has been a good deal.

What you are doing is focusing on one example and jump to conclusions and try to force an issue which is not there.

On 8/23/2020 at 12:11 PM, DontTazeMeBro said:

Ozzie Newsome considered one of the best GMs ever built two Super Bowl champions and in his final draft selected Lamar Jackson. And then he was demoted and Eric DeCosta was promoted to GM. 

I never considered Newsome to be one of the best GMs ever tbh

31 minutes ago, ET80 said:

C'mon, man.

If you can walk away from a draft with two starting WR, a starting G, a rotational LB and rotational RB, you've done a great job. Most teams are lucky to land a single starter and a rotation guy.

Not all drafts are Jonathan Ogden/Ray Lewis...

I believe he is just mad that he made a statement and so far everyone disagrees with it and points towards the stuff where he is wrong, so he doesn't really have an argument to be made other than namecalling.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Danand said:

I believe he is just mad that he made a statement and so far everyone disagrees with it and points towards the stuff where he is wrong, so he doesn't really have an argument to be made other than namecalling.

Lol. You were the one being a fake tough guy on a message board. Now here you are. Talking about me to someone else when I’m right tf here.

And I didn’t expect anyone to agree with me. I did expect someone would actually read the OP because I made several points. And no one has disputed a single one of them.

7 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Lol. You were the one being a fake tough guy on a message board. Now here you are. Talking about me to someone else when I’m right tf here.

And I didn’t expect anyone to agree with me. I did expect someone would actually read the OP because I made several points. And no one has disputed a single one of them.

People have disputed several of your takes. Most just know that some evaluations takes time, an insight you don't have apparently.

Zardarius Smith priced himself out of Baltimore and had a career year no one had anticipated. We went into the season with Tyus Bowser and Tim Williams, cut ties with one and brought in a veteran trying to solidify the unit. Then brought in Jihad Ward many had forgotten about and he worked out well.

EDC and the coaching staff realized they had to make changes after 4 games so they did, and the team went on to win 12 games straight, with some of the rookies you don't like seeing expanded roles.

The points you made are just bad, hasty and reactionary to one aquisition.

I can write to you, but based of your previous response to me and this one, I doubt anything will come from it as you just seem angry and seek a confrontation.

7 minutes ago, Danand said:

People have disputed several of your takes. Most just know that some evaluations takes time, an insight you don't have apparently.

Zardarius Smith priced himself out of Baltimore and had a career year no one had anticipated. We went into the season with Tyus Bowser and Tim Williams, cut ties with one and brought in a veteran trying to solidify the unit. Then brought in Jihad Ward many had forgotten about and he worked out well.

EDC and the coaching staff realized they had to make changes after 4 games so they did, and the team went on to win 12 games straight, with some of the rookies you don't like seeing expanded roles.

The points you made are just bad, hasty and reactionary to one aquisition.

I can write to you, but based of your previous response to me and this one, I doubt anything will come from it as you just seem angry and seek a confrontation.

Green Bay must’ve anticipated Smith’s success. 

You’re just recapping what we did with the front seven. Not disputing that what we entered the season with was a failure. Which isn’t even a hot take and not at all reactionary. Most of us knew that front seven was going to be terrible.

And expanded role doesn’t mean success. It still hasn’t been disputed that no one from that draft other than Hollywood has made an impact.