Cardinals make S Budda Baker highest-paid Safety in history

RaidersAreOne

32 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I’ve followed his career very closely. Once again he was on my dynasty team in which I had to write game plans to schematically incorporate him into them. So I had to watch and see his skill set and observe how he was used in the Cardinals scheme to have any justification on how I was going to deploy him in my defense within what he has actually shown from a skill and performance standpoint and what he has been asked to do within the system that was being ran. 

So you know how important he is.

With Adams and James, etc on the brink of a new contract, if Cards had waited they would have had to pay him more.    Either one of those could happen at any time.  His deal was hardly groundbreaking.  He just gets to have highest paid safety for his 15 minutes.

You claim he's not worth it.  But if we wait, then his pricetag will surely go up.  If he's not worth it now, then he's not worth it then. So, cut or trade him then?  Otherwise, gotta pay.

Edited by Zalixar
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zalixar said:

So you know how important he is.

With Adams and James, etc on the brink of a new contract, if Cards had waited they would have had to pay him more.    Either one of those could happen at any time.  His deal was hardly groundbreaking.  He just gets to have highest paid safety for his 15 minutes.

You claim he's not worth it.  But if we wait, then his pricetag will surely go up.  If he's not worth it now, then he's not worth it then. So, cut or trade him then?  Otherwise, gotta pay.

I never said he wasn’t valuable if you go back and read my post. I understand the importance of the timing of the deal. I just don’t think he is worth that amount of money. We can agree to disagree. 

13 hours ago, Counselor said:

I never said he wasn’t valuable if you go back and read my post. I understand the importance of the timing of the deal. I just don’t think he is worth that amount of money. We can agree to disagree. 

Yes, it has everything to do with cost.  You are inadvertently saying he should be cut/traded/let contract expire since he isn't worth the money.  He has to get paid one way or another to stay in the league.  It's either cheaper now, expensive later, or no longer on the team after this year because his worth isn't what he is going to be paid.  Very smart to lock up him before record breaking safety deals are made soon and he has more leverage/things to base it on.  Cardinals clearly do not want to give him up because the value he brings is much more than what you can see.

Unless you are advocating he should be cut/traded/contract expire and then let another team overpay him, in which they probably would if he hit FA which inflates things already (and going be a lot higher than his 14.6 mil a year.  Maybe, just maybe he is worth that much?  It's going to look like a pretty big discount for a real good up and coming safety that has had solid years since coming in the league.  Unless he completely s**s the bed, but that can be true about any player and contract extension.  Jamal Adams had the farm traded for him and he's going to get paid very well soon enough - yikes, only 2 interceptions in his career?  Terrible!  Baker only has 33 mil guaranteed.  He is pretty respected by the players and definitely has a lot of heart, a factor in his worth.

Edited by Zalixar

On 8/25/2020 at 9:57 AM, SteelKing728 said:

Anthony Harris is going to be very happy someday.

On 8/25/2020 at 10:49 AM, Deadpulse said:

Jamal Adams is probably happy to see this.

2 hours ago, DerbyRam said:

John Johnson just got more expensive 😪

I think this sort of spells out what's next - there's a list of guys due a contract, ones who will get more than Baker.

At the absolute least, Baker is in the discussion with these guys as one of the best S in the NFL. So, it makes sense that the first guy sets the market, then one of these names resets it, then the next guy after that resets it...

It's how this works.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think this sort of spells out what's next - there's a list of guys due a contract, ones who will get more than Baker.

At the absolute least, Baker is in the discussion with these guys as one of the best S in the NFL. So, it makes sense that the first guy sets the market, then one of these names resets it, then the next guy after that resets it...

It's how this works.

John Johnson was always going to be a long shot to stay on after his rookie deal. I think that's partly the reason why we've drafted three safeties in the last two drafts: Taylor Rapp, Terrell Burgess and Jordan Fuller. 

We have Ramsey and Kupp to lockdown and Johnson was always behind those two in terms of priority. 

On 8/27/2020 at 1:35 AM, Counselor said:

I’ve followed his career very closely. Once again he was on my dynasty team in which I had to write game plans to schematically incorporate him into them. So I had to watch and see his skill set and observe how he was used in the Cardinals scheme to have any justification on how I was going to deploy him in my defense within what he has actually shown from a skill and performance standpoint and what he has been asked to do within the system that was being ran. 

Now hes on my dynasty team and has 2 INTs including a pick 6 against Tom Brady

Safeties that can get 100-130 tackle but no int’s don’t generally get deals like this.  Heck Eric Reid had 130 tackles and 4 sacks but couldn’t get a contract til TC.

i don’t get this, but I don’t watch many Az games. Any time I casually watched it seemed like he was given little coverage responsibility and allowed to freelance and make plays.... which allows him to bad his stats.  I saw a guy who was a force as a tackler but wasn’t making plays often in coverage.

On 8/27/2020 at 10:41 PM, Chargers said:

Loved this guys draft film at Washington. He has tenacity every time he hits a player. Good signing and I'm sure Derwin James contract will happen next off-season. 

Not a few days later and James gets hurt again.... idk if I’d give James a huge contract.  He’s an exceptional player but availability is the greatest ability and he lacks any of that.  You could end up with 1 great year and then a massive dead cap hit cuz he gets injured for the last time.