Cardinals make S Budda Baker highest-paid Safety in history

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

What?

How can you do this? This is outrageous. It’s unfair. How can you have the biggest contract and not have any interceptions? 

Paying for INTs is also a risky proposition (remember Jairus Byrd? Neither do I, but the Saints want to forget him).

When you play S, INTs can be scheme specific - if you're playing a scheme that is heavy Cover 3, you're going to be able to track and attack the ball to either hash, INT opportunities are going to be there for the taking. Doesn't mean it's a great S playing the spot, just means th player and scheme match up pretty well.

It seems like Budda is one of those swiss army guys - can drop into the slot and cover guys, can drop in the box to cover TEs, can drop in the box and play run support, can play the shallow S spot on a Cover 3, can play the deep CF spot on a Cover 3, can play halves and converge on a Cover 2, can be the last line of defense on a Cover 1... He's not limited by scheme, he's able to thrive in all situations. That's worth something.

I agree this is an overpay... but not by much. Someone else will top this very soon.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Paying for INTs is also a risky proposition (remember Jairus Byrd? Neither do I, but the Saints want to forget him).

This is a good point, paying for stats vs paying for play. But I'm sure Byrd wants to forget the Saints just as much as they want to forget him. Sure they paid him a lot of money but they also mismanaged him and ended his contract early when there was still a lot of money left on the table. 

Jairus Byrd's failures in New Orleans were almost completely due to Payton deciding he would just scheme the defense as well as the offense. Byrd wasn't a generational player that could've overcome a poor scheme and a poor game-plan, and the position he was put in (30 yards off the LOS) was never going to work out for him unless we were in high-stakes shootouts (Final Score: 45 to 48 type games) every single week.

That was 100% a Sean Payton screw up. Rob Ryan paid out the nose for it too. (This isn't to say Rob Ryan was doing good things with our defense [sometimes he was] but that Sean Payton more or less took control of the defense and fired Rob Ryan when it failed.)

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

I will never understand why interceptions is the baseline stat for DBs. Obviously creating turnovers is a good thing, however the best DBs wont even get the ball thrown in their direction because their coverage is so good. Completion percentage and number of balls thrown is what really measures a good DB. 7 INTs and 15 TDs given up does not make a DB good. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I will never understand why interceptions is the baseline stat for DBs. Obviously creating turnovers is a good thing, however the best DBs wont even get the ball thrown in their direction because their coverage is so good. Completion percentage and number of balls thrown is what really measures a good DB. 7 INTs and 15 TDs given up does not make a DB good. 

But you’d like to see at least one interception in a 3 year career. If just by sheer luck lol. The ability to attack the ball in the air and cause a turnover should never be discounted. 

Edited by Chiefer

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

But you’d like to see at least one interception in a 3 year career. If just by sheer luck lol. The ability to attack the ball in the air and cause a turnover should never be discounted. 

A bonus to good DB play, not an indicator IMO

5 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Very odd he doesn’t have at least one. Is it stone hands?

Dunno why he has no INT's but USA Today said his 2019 was versatile: : 544 snaps as high safety, 340 in the box, 182 in slot, 36 on the D-line, 18 as boundary. 

Top 8 total tackles in the NFL last year was like this: LB LB LB LB  S  LB LB LB. 

S = Budda

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 10:08 AM, Counselor said:

No interceptions in his career. He’s versatile and a tackle machine but he isn’t worth this. Coming from the guy who drafted him in BDL before he hit the league. 

On 8/25/2020 at 12:53 PM, RamblinMan99 said:

Dumbest contract extension I've seen in a long time.  

He doesn't have one interception after 3 years in the league.  

He hasn't done near enough to deserve that kind of money, and Arizona's only digging themselves deeper into a hole.  

How many interceptions does Adams have?  How highly regarded is he?  It's best you don't talk if you don't understand his role.

This didn't even reset the market.  They want to get him before the big wigs get paid in a year or two.  Actually pretty smart locking in early.  It'll look like a discount soon.

• Like 1

Just now, Zalixar said:

How many interceptions does Adams have?  How highly regarded is he?  It's best you don't talk if you don't understand his role.

This didn't even reset the market.  They want to get him before the big wigs get paid in a year or two.  Actually pretty smart locking in early.  It'll look like a discount soon.

I completely understand his role. I’ll talk on what I know whenever I would like. Still isn’t worth that money.

10 minutes ago, Zalixar said:

Of course you can, just sounds pretty uninformed.

I’ve followed his career very closely. Once again he was on my dynasty team in which I had to write game plans to schematically incorporate him into them. So I had to watch and see his skill set and observe how he was used in the Cardinals scheme to have any justification on how I was going to deploy him in my defense within what he has actually shown from a skill and performance standpoint and what he has been asked to do within the system that was being ran.