Final Roster Cuts/Moves Thread

e16bball

12 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

What is, exactly?

They tried to. He wouldn't after showing up.

Bruce Allen and co. screwed that up.

There's still talk the contract could get reworked. 

Washington should've forced Williams to show up. I highly doubt he was gonna miss out on 2 seasons back to back without pay. 

That's Football IQ and just IQ of a person knowing People like money.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

That's fine in my book too!

For example though too, the Ravens has Pernell McPhee as one of their rushing LBs. He doesn't have to move far, goes to a contender, and we could get something valuable. That's a situation I could see where it might work out. 

Seahawks maybe too.

That dudes spent most of his career in around the beltways from VA to BMore.

He spent most of his career in BMore. Signed a big free agent deal to go to Chicago, tore his knee up I think he’s second year of that deal and hasn’t been the same since. Chicago released him, and we signed him after Junior Galette turned down our 2 year $10 million contract offer in 2017.

Then, we moved on from him and he went back to BMore. He’s still a solid run defender but has offered little pass rush since he tore his knee up in Chitown.

22 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Washington should've forced Williams to show up. I highly doubt he was gonna miss out on 2 seasons back to back without pay. 

That's Football IQ and just IQ of a person knowing People like money.

Isn't that exactly what happened? 

After Williams wasn’t traded, he actually did report to the Redskins. And there were questions about whether or not he would be ready to play. But early on in his return, Williams requested a new helmet because of the medical issue he had related to his head. His old helmet apparently wasn’t comfortable enough after having the growth removed from his head, so he ordered a new helmet and would be ready to play when that came in.

He never got the chance. The Redskins placed Williams on the NFI list before his helmet could arrive, effectively ending his season. But according to Williams, that wasn’t his choice and he was ready to play for the Redskins, per NFL.com’s Adam Maya.

2 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

This is Football IQ. Washington should've made Williams play on his deal or make a trade that benefited them.  

1. Williams was fine retiring.
  2. Because of that, there was no trade (once the 2019 midseason trade deadline expired) that was available to Washington that "benefited" them more than what they got. They completely screwed the pooch on dealing him because of Brice and Dan's egos.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Personally, I think the Browns are stupid for not trading Njoku bc I don’t think he’s going fo re-sign there after they paid Hooper but the Browns have not been willing to trade him to my knowledge, I don’t think they were willing to trade him for Trent.

1. They can wait for his contract expire and hope they get a compensatory pick for him.
  2. They can trade him at the deadline if there's a decent deal to be had.
  3. Injury insurance at the security blanket position for your young QB isn't a bad thing to carry if you can afford it.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Isn't that exactly what happened? 

No they allowed him to show back up to the facility and then traded him in the draft.

What I'm talking about is keeping him here into Training Camp of whatever the players just finished to see who made the 53 man Roster. 

If there are still Problems, Williams then has a decision to make if he really is gonna sit out 2 seasons in a row. He still under contract with Washington. Or we find a Team willing to give fair value for him in next years draft or a TE and pick in next years draft.

There's no way to convince me Washington both with Bruce here and gone Botched the Williams trade. You either sit out 2 years straight, protect Haskins, or find a team giving us a fair trade. It's that simple. The whole how this effects the Lockeroom and setting a tone goes out the window. He's under contract. 

43 minutes ago, Woz said:
  1. They can wait for his contract expire and hope they get a compensatory pick for him.
  2. They can trade him at the deadline if there's a decent deal to be had.
  3. Injury insurance at the security blanket position for your young QB isn't a bad thing to carry if you can afford it.

Where has Washington done that for there QB? Insurance and Security? What position is secure and insured accept Mclaruin? 

47 minutes ago, Woz said:
  1. Williams was fine retiring.
  2. Because of that, there was no trade (once the 2019 midseason trade deadline expired) that was available to Washington that "benefited" them more than what they got. They completely screwed the pooch on dealing him because of Brice and Dan's egos.

He'd have to prove that to me! Yet they let him go play for other team so I'm not buying that. 

What I'm talking about is keeping him here into Training Camp of whatever the players just finished to see who made the 53 man Roster. 

So, either he shows up and then immediately sits down or he holds out. So you fine him. So he doesn't show.

You keep him on the failure to report list. He still doesn't show.

Comes down to the final cut time. His status turns over to permanent list so he cannot be activated by any team this year.

That's better than trading him in the draft?

If there are still Problems, Williams then has a decision to make if he really is gonna sit out 2 seasons in a row. He still under contract with Washington. Or we find a Team willing to give fair value for him in next years draft or a TE and pick in next years draft.

On March 9, 2019, the Pittsburgh Steelers traded Antonio Brown to the Oakland Raiders for the Raiders' 3rd and 5th round picks in then upcoming 2019 draft.

Four days later, on March 13, the New York Giants traded Odell Beckham Jr. (and Olivier Vernon) for Jabrill Peppers, Kevin Zeitler, and the Browns 1st and 3rd round picks in the 2019 draft.

Was OBJ that much better of a receiver than Brown? Heck, if we're talking solely on talent, Brown was probably the better player. So, why the major disparity in draft compensation?

Yes, you could say "oh, well it's the Browns huhuhuhuh," however, I would argue the difference was that Brown and the Steelers actively feuded for months, whereas the Giants and OBJ kept quiet. The Steelers wrecked Brown's trade value by all of their back and forth with him.

It's the same reason that Washington didn't get "fair value" for Trent. They made the relationship completely unsalvageable so teams knew that they could lowball Washington. Snyder and Brice originally tried rebuff the offers, which further deflated Trent's value since the rest of the league could see they were delusional.

Rivera eventually decided it was best to just let him go, get what you could for him, and close the chapter to allow him to build his team the way he wanted to without to deal with the constant "is Trent reporting? have you spoken to him? is he okay? is he ever going to come in" noise that had been infecting Ashburn for the prior 18 months. Keeping him just to prove you could make him play would just continue on the PR hell path.

Let's he say he does show and suits up. Then a day later he pulls a hammy. Is it a real injury? Is it Trent faking it? If you're trying to change the culture in the organization, purging it of old ghosts is a good first start. It's why he also traded Dunbar when he wanted to get a new contract.

19 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

He'd have to prove that to me! Yet they let him go play for other team so I'm not buying that. 

To what end? Because you can? I thought you were all in favor of the players and their rights. Why suddenly bully Trent because you think he's worth more than you can get on a market you poisoned?

What does this say to the other players in the locker room?

Edited by Woz
  • Like 2

Where has Washington done that for there QB? Insurance and Security? What position is secure and insured accept Mclaruin? 

The Browns drafted Njoku four years ago ( @Jeezy Fanatic - it's been that long!?). They signed Hooper this offseason, but then took Harrison Bryant in the 4th round because he was a value pick and Njoku was on the last year of his base rookie contract (the Browns did activate his 5th year option).

So, they tried to sign Hooper, but he went elsewhere. The chose to draft a LT to protect Haskins and give him some security instead of a TE.

You may hate their roster construction choices. But they made those because there was a limited number of things they could do. Instead of binding themselves to a bunch of high priced free agents, they said let's see what we have this year and see how it works.

If you don't like that philosophy, that's your choice. But at the same time, your constant swirl about how this unfair to Haskins or we all want to replace him with Lawrence or whatever is somewhat odd.

The roster is what it is right now. There are a lot of holes on it.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Woz said:

So, either he shows up and then immediately sits down or he holds out. So you fine him. So he doesn't show.

Comes down to the final cut time. His status turns over to permanent list so he cannot be activated by any team this year.

On March 9, 2019, the Pittsburgh Steelers traded Antonio Brown to the Oakland Raiders for the Raiders' 3rd and 5th round picks in then upcoming 2019 draft.

Four days later, on March 13, the New York Giants traded Odell Beckham Jr. (and Olivier Vernon) for Jabrill Peppers, Kevin Zeitler, and the Browns 1st and 3rd round picks in the 2019 draft.

Was OBJ that much better of a receiver than Brown? Heck, if we're talking solely on talent, Brown was probably the better player. So, why the major disparity in draft compensation?

Yes, you could say "oh, well it's the Browns huhuhuhuh," however, I would argue the difference was that Brown and the Steelers actively feuded for months, whereas the Giants and OBJ kept quiet. The Steelers wrecked Brown's trade value by all of their back and forth with him.

It's the same reason that Washington didn't get "fair value" for Trent. They made the relationship completely unsalvageable so teams knew that they could lowball Washington. Snyder and Brice originally tried rebuff the offers, which further deflated Trent's value since the rest of the league could see they were delusional.

Rivera eventually decided it was best to just let him go, get what you could for him, and close the chapter to allow him to build his team the way he wanted to without to deal with the constant "is Trent reporting? have you spoken to him? is he okay? is he ever going to come in" noise that had been infecting Ashburn for the prior 18 months. Keeping him just to prove you could make him play would just continue on the PR hell path.

Let's he say he does show and suits up. Then a day later he pulls a hammy. Is it a real injury? Is it Trent faking it? If you're trying to change the culture in the organization, purging it of old ghosts is a good first start. It's why he also traded Dunbar when he wanted to get a new contract.

To what end? Because you can? I thought you were all in favor of the players and their rights. Why suddenly bully Trent because you think he's worth more than you can get on a market you poisoned?

There is also an age difference between OBJ and Antonio Brown.  Some people have a hard time comprehending how NFL trades work.  And to be far, most of the other sports operate in similar fashions and thought patterns.  The NFL throws that out the door, putting a premium value on younger players and draft picks

29 minutes ago, Woz said:

The Browns drafted Njoku four years ago ( @Jeezy Fanatic - it's been that long!?). They signed Hooper this offseason, but then took Harrison Bryant in the 4th round because he was a value pick and Njoku was on the last year of his base rookie contract (the Browns did activate his 5th year option).

So, they tried to sign Hooper, but he went elsewhere. The chose to draft a LT to protect Haskins and give him some security instead of a TE.

You may hate their roster construction choices. But they made those because there was a limited number of things they could do. Instead of binding themselves to a bunch of high priced free agents, they said let's see what we have this year and see how it works.

If you don't like that philosophy, that's your choice. But at the same time, your constant swirl about how this unfair to Haskins or we all want to replace him with Lawrence or whatever is somewhat odd.

The roster is what it is right now. There are a lot of holes on it.

They didn’t have any reported visits with tight-ends either.  That shows me that, for whatever reason, they didn’t think much of the draft class.  

43 minutes ago, Woz said:

They got a 5th round pick back for a All Pro LT. One if not the second most important part on the offense. Protecting the QB's blind side. 

Trent I understand stand you don't want to play here but this is a Business and Professional way to handle this. Get a fair trade and you can play were you Want the 2020 season. I'm the Coach and Dan should Respectfully Support him and we have you under contract and a Need at LT to protect Haskins. I can't just accept what was offered for you. 

A 5th round pick was BS! No disrespect to you. 

If Trent was gonna "Retire" why did he show up in San Fran in top notch shape for Shanahan? Smh.

Edited by Skins212689

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Personally, I think the Browns are stupid for not trading Njoku bc I don’t think he’s going fo re-sign there after they paid Hooper but the Browns have not been willing to trade him to my knowledge, I don’t think they were willing to trade him for Trent.

I think it was a mistake as well. If he leaves via FA, they get a 3rd rounder. But it doesn't come until 2022. They could've at LEAST gotten a 3rd rounder this year and that player would be going into their 3rd year in their system at the time their compensatory pick is just going through their rookie OTAs. But it is what it is.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Thank you for actually paying attention to what went on @Woz. I agree with your assessment.

• Like 1