Raiders release CB Prince Amukamara

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Arnette took his reps and tbh this is the best move for the Raiders. That means that Arnette is well ahead of schedule and they feel comfortable with moving forwarding with him starting. 

I hope that's the case and not that Prince has just lost a step.  I'll go with your positive take.

Wow.... I thought he’d have been kept for depth at least.... as he’s assumed to be better and is cheaper than Lawson.

I think this is 75% Arnette already claiming the starting job and 25% Isaiah Johnson taking claim to the 3rd outside CB spot.  Cuz even if Arnette was to start Prince, given his cheap price, would have value as the top outside CB backup.  But if Arnette AND Johnson are playing well then Arnette isn’t needed.  Hopefully both of them play well once the season starts.

12 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Arnette took his reps and tbh this is the best move for the Raiders. That means that Arnette is well ahead of schedule and they feel comfortable with moving forwarding with him starting. 

Actually I believe it has to do possibly with our 3rd and 4th CBs looking better than him

• Like 1

Arnette for sure gets one start and thats week 1. After that Lawson comes back and its all up in the air. Arnette need to give the coaches a reason to keep in as a starter after that. 

I like the youth movement in the secondary. There will be some growing pains, but there are some guys in that secondary that have high ceilings and time to see what they got. 

Lawson has actually looked decent when he has played IMO, apart from having hands like feet and I feel it would be beneficial to keep one experienced vet in the group to go with Joyner. This is probably a sign that Arnette is progressing well and that of course is great!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, true2form said:

I hope that's the case and not that Prince has just lost a step.  I'll go with your positive take.

Hunter Renfrow made him look silly in a clip that the Raiders just released. 

I'm assuming the plan is to roll with Mullen, Arnette, Joyner, Johnson, Robertson, and Lawson/Nixon. An extremely young and inexperienced group. 

3 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Lawson has actually looked decent when he has played IMO, apart from having hands like feet and I feel it would be beneficial to keep one experienced vet in the group to go with Joyner. This is probably a sign that Arnette is progressing well and that of course is great!

Lawson is a solid veteran depth option. The Athletic said the last CB spot was a battle between Johnson/Nixon/Lawson with Nixon in the lead most of camp and Johnson coming on strong the last week or so, this was with the assumption that Prince was a lock to make the team. 

I think we made the decision based on:

A.) We see something in both Nixon/Johnson and didn't want to risk losing one by stashing them on the practice squad.

B.) Prince lost a step and we have more faith in Lawson as a veteran depth option because he's younger and has experience in the system. 

• Like 1