Raiders release CB Prince Amukamara

RaidersAreOne

19 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Arnette for sure gets one start and thats week 1. After that Lawson comes back and its all up in the air. Arnette need to give the coaches a reason to keep in as a starter after that. 

I like the youth movement in the secondary. There will be some growing pains, but there are some guys in that secondary that have high ceilings and time to see what they got. 

3/4 of our starters in our base secondary have never played in the system. (Arnette, Abram, Randall) And 2/4 of those starters are rookies with Mullen only really having a half of season under his belt. 

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Hunter Renfrow made him look silly in a clip that the Raiders just released. 

I'm assuming the plan is to roll with Mullen, Arnette, Joyner, Johnson, Robertson, and Lawson/Nixon. An extremely young and inexperienced group. 

Perhaps Joyner and/or gets reps at times.

But week 1 we got a serious test vs a good WR core and a QB who doesn't turnover the ball

21 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Perhaps Joyner and/or gets reps at times.

But week 1 we got a serious test vs a good WR core and a QB who doesn't turnover the ball

Joyner is exclusively a slot CB. On the outside we're going to have Mullen, Arnette, Johnson, and one of Nixon/Lawson. 

Per Vic:

Rookie Damon Arnette has been running with the 1’s. Second-year player Trayvon Mullen starts and second-year players Keisean Nixon and Isaiah Johnson are backups.

Add in rookie Amik Robertson backing up nickel corner Lamarcus Joyner and that's 5 of 6 CBs in first or second year. (Vet Nevin Lawson is suspended Week 1.) #Raiders

Very excited for our young CBs, Mullen, Arnette, Nixon, Johnson and Robertson can be our CB core for a while. Mayock definitely has a type in his CB. We’re gonna be physical on the outside and not afraid to mix it up. Love the physicality of our DBs. I think we’ll just need a long term solution at FS and out DBs could be locked up for a few years.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

With the exception of Lawson and maybe nixon, all these other corners can really run. After seeing Mahomes put up 28 on verticals in one quarter, I'm not surprised.

Trayvon Mullen: 4.46 

Damon Arnette: 4.43 (was clocked at 4.56 officially but our scouts had him at 4.43 fwiw)

Isaiah Johnson: 4.40 

Keisean Nixon: 4.42

Amik Robertson: 4.45

LaMarcus Joyner: 4.55

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Trayvon Mullen: 4.46 

Damon Arnette: 4.43 (was clocked at 4.56 officially but our scouts had him at 4.43 fwiw)

Isaiah Johnson: 4.40 

Keisean Nixon: 4.42

Amik Robertson: 4.45

LaMarcus Joyner: 4.55

I wasn't even thinking about Joyner. He looked washed last year. Hopefully he can rebound.

It’s not a huge surprise Johnson didn’t get a ton of snaps once he came back.  He broke his face and missed a lot of time.... which hurt him more than most because he’s a rookie who only played CB for 2 years after being a WR before.  He was raw to begin with.  Plus, the coaches might have felt it best just to get his feet wet slowly once he got healthy at the end of the year.

I think a lot of people wrote off Johnson... prolly due to the fact so many Mid-Round HWS guys have had lots of promise but then got hurt and flamed out over the years.

But Johnson Is quite a talent.... he’s the prototype CB: 6’2 205-210 .... 4.40 (4.32 combine HH time.... that .08 difference is 2x normal so I bet he’s really a 4.38) and 6.81 SS.... and 33”+ arms.

He had 2nd round hype for a reason... and was a steal in round 4.  He was an equal (or even better) prospect than 2nd rounders Joejuan Williams and Lonnie Johnson.  Idk how he fell to 129... that was crazy.

My point being don’t sleep on him.... he isn’t a lock to reach his potential, no one is, but he could end up being CB2 material.  If it turns out Mullen, Arnette, Johnson, and Robertson are all hits we could have quite a young secondary.  It’s not that extreme a thought.

Edited by jimkelly02

11 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

With the exception of Lawson and maybe nixon, all these other corners can really run. After seeing Mahomes put up 28 on verticals in one quarter, I'm not surprised.

Nevin Lawson ran a 4.30 at his pro day and has always been regarded as a pretty quick CB I seem to remember. Running is not his problem, ball skills are his Achilles heel I feel. He's underrated but that's not to say the young guys won't become better of course!

• Like 1