Cardinals release WR Hakeem Butler

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Fureys49ers said:

I know he was hurt last year, maybe IR all year?, and I’m sure there was some struggling leading to the release but this should be someone the niners take a look at. We have the depth chart currently to let him see some run and to sit and learn when guys come back healthy. 

Most in the niner forum will remember that I did not like this guy at all...but even I'd agree that the kid had some immense upside to at least put in a flier on. My gut says that there are several teams who will put in a waiver claim before we get a chance to though. The Jets should be very interested early on in the process. 

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Loved Butler, he won’t be without a home for long. Hope NE brings him in.

I can't see him making it through waivers that long. The Jets should 100% put in a claim. Miami maybe as well. Not sure if Minnesota or NE is higher on the waiver priority, but given that Minnesota wr depth chart, they should put in a claim. Detroit wouldn't be a bad idea either...I could think of worse players to model your game after than Marvin Jones, tbh. 

3 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Rookies who go on IR have a pretty terrible track record

Yep, especially when the reason for the IR is highly dubious to start with. When the 49ers put some rookie on IR after he twists an ankle or something, I just know that they really were going to have to cut him but they didn't want to give up on him yet and just want to see him the next year before realizing, yep, he sucks. 

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

I can't see him making it through waivers that long. The Jets should 100% put in a claim. Miami maybe as well. Not sure if Minnesota or NE is higher on the waiver priority, but given that Minnesota wr depth chart, they should put in a claim. Detroit wouldn't be a bad idea either...I could think of worse players to model your game after than Marvin Jones, tbh. 

Oh, certainly. It’s more of a hope than a likelihood. 

Might be crunched for time, but you’d imagine they’d have been able to get a late round flier for the guy.

7 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Oh, certainly. It’s more of a hope than a likelihood. 

Might be crunched for time, but you’d imagine they’d have been able to get a late round flier for the guy.

Given the weirdness of the draft next season, I'm actually a little surprised that a trade like that didn't happen. I mean, the draft could be super weird next season because of covid...some teams / players not playing and all, potential lack of scouting...I kind of feel like a super late round pick just has even less value than normal. For teams that had him well scouted last year and maybe had a similar grade on him, I Don't know why you wouldn't make that sort of offer just to get him. It's a 4th round pick base salary over the next three years. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Given the weirdness of the draft next season, I'm actually a little surprised that a trade like that didn't happen. I mean, the draft could be super weird next season because of covid...some teams / players not playing and all, potential lack of scouting...I kind of feel like a super late round pick just has even less value than normal. For teams that had him well scouted last year and maybe had a similar grade on him, I Don't know why you wouldn't make that sort of offer just to get him. It's a 4th round pick base salary over the next three years. 

Draft’s more of a crapshoot than usual, maybe some teams think there might be some more hidden gems in those later rounds. Shrug. 

Is this move made, or could it be one of those moves that are announced and then we later find out a trade was made instead?