Raiders are trading RB/returner Lynn Bowden Jr to the Dolphins

agarcia34

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Mayock on why we traded Bowden

So you didn't anticipate these things when you took him in the third round in a virtual draft where most states were shut down due to covid...

We're not good enough yet to be taking project players with premium picks. 

I don't believe one word of what Mayock said. Even if they were expecting more OTAs to take place at the time of the draft, they would give the rookies more time when the offseason ends up being so limited. I don't know why they gave up on Bowden but he had to be incredibly bad on the field or extremely dumb off the field (they kept Gafford and Booker over him ffs, both would have probably make their way to the PS). They better hope he doesn't develop somewhere else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

I don't believe one word of what Mayock said. Even if they were expecting more OTAs to take place at the time of the draft, they would give the rookies more time when the offseason ends up being so limited. I don't know why they gave up on Bowden but he had to be incredibly bad on the field or extremely dumb off the field (they kept Gafford and Booker over him ffs, both would have probably make their way to the PS). They better hope he doesn't develop somewhere else.

booker wasn't that awful in Denver who has had terrible line play. booker will look way better behind our line. 

47 minutes ago, roi34 said:

booker wasn't that awful in Denver who has had terrible line play. booker will look way better behind our line. 

Could be but i don't think he's anything special. So if the team would rather keep him than the guy they just drafted, they see no future for Bowden.

Could be but i don't think he's anything special. So if the team would rather keep him than the guy they just drafted, they see no future for Bowden.

won't argue that. very strange to me. I will agree, it was either work ethic or off field

20 hours ago, Darbsk said:

So we shouldn't believe the team but trust a guy who was drafted high, has character red flags from college and just got traded trying to save face? Sometimes if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck ............its a duck. 

Why would the team make a point of saying those things if they weren't true? That would alienate half the locker room and breed mistrust. I think the team is being very honest here and not so subtly sending a message that we want guys who work and have a committment.  

So mayock just said the opposite, football only reasons. No off field issues at all. So are we still going with" why shouldn't we believe the team" 

37 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

So mayock just said the opposite, football only reasons. No off field issues at all. So are we still going with" why shouldn't we believe the team" 

I will read between the lines, clearly there were off field issues aswell as he didnt learn the playbook and struggled to adapt (this the organisation has to take blame for as well).

Mayock's statement is just PR from the team not wanting to appear to assassinate the young mans character. Probably the 'bad influence' issues were leaked by an 'unnamed source'. Both parties are not being totally honest IMO.

Edited by Darbsk

No matter the reasons, the organisation is to blame. They just drafted him and badly missed on something.

Exactly. They miss the evaluation on or off the field. Maybe he didn't want to be a rb. Maybe he wasnt happy being drafted to play a whole new position he ain't never played and thata why he sucked at it. Maybe we should draft people and put them in the best position to succeed off and on the field. The team blew it, but in typical fan fashion it all turns into the kid. 

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I will read between the lines, clearly there were off field issues aswell as he didnt learn the playbook and struggled to adapt (this the organisation has to take blame for as well).

Mayock's statement is just PR from the team not wanting to appear to assassinate the young mans character. Probably the 'bad influence' issues were leaked by an 'unnamed source'. Both parties are not being totally honest IMO.

FWIW the Athletic said that team officials thought he was more concerned with picking up new cars then the playbook. And that he was already getting distracted in Vegas and they didn't want him to influence our other young players. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dante9876 said:

Exactly. They miss the evaluation on or off the field. Maybe he didn't want to be a rb. Maybe he wasnt happy being drafted to play a whole new position he ain't never played and thata why he sucked at it. Maybe we should draft people and put them in the best position to succeed off and on the field. The team blew it, but in typical fan fashion it all turns into the kid. 

I agree with most of this, however with respect to the last sentence most guys in here are levelling a lot of blame at the team also for drafting a RB that's never played RB full time and trying to convert him in the most abridged off season ever with no pre-season games, very limited practices all whilst settling into brand new facilities.

If we were expecting him to completely grasp the position in this particular off season we were totally unrealistic or inept. Nobody is saying the team is blameless as far as I can see.