Raiders trade 2020 3rd round pick Lynn Bowen Jr to Dolphins

RaidersAreOne

On 9/5/2020 at 2:29 PM, Abe56 said:

Of all the odd Raider moves i’ve seen over the years, this one might be the king.  Trading a pretty high draft pick before even playing a game is just I dont know

I don’t know how this is any more ridiculous than drafting Tyler Wilson in the 4th and then cutting him before the season starts. At least this time they recouped value. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 12:57 PM, Lilseb93 said:

Our beat writer says the Dolphins see his upside at WR and loved him before the draft. They also have another versatile guy in Malcolm Perry who has had a good camp. Our WR core is razor thin after Parker and Preston Williams so this definitely helps to have another guy who can potentially contribute at multiple positions, but definitely as a speedy guy at WR. 

How has Perry looked? I really like Perry and hope he sticks 

On 9/5/2020 at 3:38 PM, diamondbull424 said:

Thought he was overrated as a weapon coming out, was never a true fan. Found his speed overrated, Gibson seemed like the far better player to take a gamble on in the mid rounds because he had exceptional explosive ability on tape.

At least the Raiders quickly realized their mistake and cut their losses without worrying about sunk costs. We’ll see if Boyden Jr can make it happen elsewhere within a better scheme fit. I didn’t hate him, but definitely felt he was overrated by some.

Was happy for him that he went in the 3rd round.  Kids a slash type player.  If you dont plan on using him that way or creating packages for him, then you shouldn't have drafted him.  Hes not a fulltime rb or outside wr.  He may eventually be a slot wr.  

20 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

He seemed like a bad pick so i'm not surprised. Even looking at his college tape, he doesn't look that fast.

Fast enough to have 1500 Yds rushing in the sec his last year at Kentucky from QB position when he was the whole offense, and he's 6'1 200lbs. 

Edited by SweetFancyMoses

On 9/5/2020 at 10:50 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

This is from our lead beat guy at the Athletic. Disappointing that our scouts missed the fact he lacked breakaway speed, can't pass pro and might have character issues...

The speed thing is a legit complaint. That's a total brick by the scouting department. 

The character thing is hit and miss. Just from that little excerpt right there, it sounds like location and money had an adverse affect on him that the team wasn't anticipating, and I don't know how you can pre-screen for that when the kid wasn't in the location and didn't have the money. Sometimes character issues are a post draft thing. Look at Aldon Smith. No character flags when he came out of Mizzou. 

The pass protection should have been obvious and shouldn't have had anything to do with him getting cut. They had to expect that. I think that was just another log on the fire so to speak. He actually played a good chunk of time as the quarterback in college. He was always going to suck in pass pro coming out...if they expected him not to..."uh oh" is all i can say. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pwny said:

I don’t know how this is any more ridiculous than drafting Tyler Wilson in the 4th and then cutting him before the season starts. At least this time they recouped value. 

Atleast got to see Wilson in rookie camp, mini camp, training camp and preseason to make that decision.  This was decided after two weeks of practice.

It is good to atleast recoup some value for him, but never seen a team give up on a relatively high pick that fast.

2 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

I don’t care. It’s a lot different from rushing at QB, too.

You mean rushing when the d knows your not gonna throw it because you were the best wr on the team? If that's the case why wouldnt ge bottom half of the sec teams put their most athletic player at qb to rush, I mean since it's so much easier.

On 9/5/2020 at 11:50 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

This is from our lead beat guy at the Athletic. Disappointing that our scouts missed the fact he lacked breakaway speed, can't pass pro and might have character issues...

I mean, it's weird...and it seems like the Raiders scouting staff could probably do a better job of really vetting their prospective draft picks character and ability to pick up a playbook and concepts.  But the guy was always a bit of a tricky polarizing projection.  Position switch sort of guys can be tough to really get a read on.

I think the Dolphins probably have it more right, projecting him as a potential slot WR/gadget type player, if he's gonna be anything.  But they may end up looking just as silly as the Raiders dealing him before playing a snap, for being the suckers to spend a pick on a guy that another team wanted to get rid of before he even played a snap.