Steelers Extend DL Cam Heyward (4/$65MM)

chiefs82

Ridiculous. Can't pay a defensive lineman that hasn't won a super bowl. Hasn't even beaten mahomes in the playoffs.

But seriously though... Don't love the age aspect. That's a lot of cash when he's likely to regress. Assuming the structure is team friendly

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Ridiculous. Can't pay a defensive lineman that hasn't won a super bowl. Hasn't even beaten mahomes in the playoffs.

But seriously though... Don't love the age aspect. That's a lot of cash when he's likely to regress. Assuming the structure is team friendly

That's okay. A year from now, Colbert will probably just use him as bait in another trade to get another good player from another team and then sign Cam again off waivers for free.

In all seriousness, I get the age concerns. But personally I don't see anything wrong with paying a man who was a focal point of one of best defenses in the league last year and the only reason the team was even still competitive. And the new contract is only an extension so his cap-hit is still the same this year as it would've been without a new contract.

It's a good move from the FO in a cultural aspect.  Cam's been with the team since day one and the extension shows other players that loyalty and hard work are rewarded here and this just gives him more reassurance from the organization's faith in him as a player and his future at the same time.  

I think this is a good signing. Cam relies on a lot of things that make him good. He doesn't rely on freakish athleticism and speed to make him successful. I think his game will age well. Plus, even if hes only got 2 more years of his level now, I'm sure his game won't crater out immediately. He seems like a guy that can play at 85% of his level now for a year or two, then transition into a spot player/vet leader in his last year-ish.