Week 1 Raiders at Panthers GDT

agarcia34

2 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

I thought we got some good pressure we just allowed Teddy an easy way out. If we can close some of those gaps the pressure will start to get home. Teddy B surprised me with his mobility, he played a good game. 

I agree. I am a little disappointed by Collins performance. I thought that he'd be more disruptive on the interior. 

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

No we were supposed to believe that our 4th overall pick wasn't as non-existent as we clearly saw last year, that Nassib and Maleik Collins were primo signings...

I'm done with Cle. I'm done with second rate FA signings. I'm done with optimism that defies what can be seen when it comes to our D. 

Its one game of a season with no pre season and a TC unlike any other we've known. If they still look like that after game 4 I'll be worried.

It's difficult to be pragmatic in the heat of the moment and we've all been hoping for at least an average D for so long now (is it really that much to ask?!?!?!)  but we cant judge off the first game only just yet even though the inclination is to say same old, same old. Honestly we do need to give them at least a couple games before 'being done' with players, coaches and scheme as frustrating as it seems at the time.  

8 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Its one game of a season with no pre season and a TC unlike any other we've known. If they still look like that after game 4 I'll be worried.

It's difficult to be pragmatic in the heat of the moment and we've all been hoping for at least an average D for so long now (is it really that much to ask?!?!?!)  but we cant judge off the first game only just yet even though the inclination is to say same old, same old. Honestly we do need to give them at least a couple games before 'being done' with players, coaches and scheme as frustrating as it seems at the time.  

People are so mad but we won, that's all that matters. When we made the playoffs in 2016 we were dead last in sacks.

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

People are so mad but we won, that's all that matters. When we made the playoffs in 2016 we were dead last in sacks.

Quite often its when you get the sacks that matters more, and why a guy like Mack is so, so valuable. We do need to step up and I admit it is very frustrating as we've seen so many false dawns on D but we have made so many changes with very limited practice, we have to give them a few weeks at least, especially with so many young cogs in the machine.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

36 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Quite often its when you get the sacks that matters more, and why a guy like Mack is so, so valuable. We do need to step up and I admit it is very frustrating as we've seen so many false dawns on D but we have made so many changes with very limited practice, we have to give them a few weeks at least, especially with so many young cogs in the machine.

2016 was all about turnovers.  Plus 16 is crazy high and makes up for the sacks.  I feel like a broken record but the only time we have got consistent pressure is when we had Pagano as DC.  Losing Mack really hurt but pass rushers are really hard to find.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I agree. I am a little disappointed by Collins performance. I thought that he'd be more disruptive on the interior. 

Kinda.... exactly like I said.... for months:

isnt anything special, has a real problem drifting To the outside And leaving the middle of the field open for the QB to run for first downs up the middle, and Is very inactive as a run defender (will jump a gap 1-2x a game but If he doesn’t either he gets locked onto and is out of play Or he gets blown back)

But, but, but ... “Gruden said he’s the best, he’s amazing, he’s the center of our D”

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

2016 was all about turnovers.  Plus 16 is crazy high and makes up for the sacks.  I feel like a broken record but the only time we have got consistent pressure is when we had Pagano as DC.  Losing Mack really hurt but pass rushers are really hard to find.

But I thought Nassib was a great pass rusher,,, as many on the board said he’d be.

what we really lack.... as I’ve said many times.... is a speed rusher.  Our DL will get sacks on long drop backs in due time, but we have no one who with crazy speed to get sacks/qb hits on quick passes.  

theres only a select few that can do that.... which is why I think we should consider using Littleton as a blitzer more often or should have brought in a twitchy, rush OLB.

2 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Dumpster fire offense? They’ve got the best offensive player in the whole league. We had 0 NFL tape on the head coach or offensive coordinator. The defense will get better. 

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Dumpster fire offense? Carolina will be a decent offensive team this year, IMO. McCaffery, Anderson, and Moore are all legit.

CMC is the best player in football. But that's like having a Ferrari with no insurance, driver's license or Registration. 

Bridgewater is trash. The OL is trash. And then have 3 2/3 WRs. That is a dumpster fire.

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I’m not that concerned with Ferrell yet.... it’s only been 1 game and he did make a nice run stuff at the end.  I think he’s going to slowly get into the groove, I never expected sacks in the first game or two.  

Nassib and Collins are exactly who we thought they were when we signed them.... no one was jumping for joy when we signed them.... they were an after thought, everyone was saying “well that’s a nice depth piece, let’s see the contract details when they come out”..... and then a lot of people on here convinced themselves these guys were something they’ve never been.  I expect only decent play from them... they are who they’ve always been.

4 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

CMC is the best player in football. But that's like having a Ferrari with no insurance, driver's license or Registration. 

Bridgewater is trash. The OL is trash. And then have 3 2/3 WRs. That is a dumpster fire.

It’s the same thing as our D with Mack.... one great player doesn’t mean a team’s Off/Def is good.  Carolina is a below average offense with 1 great player whose held back by the rest and 1 nice starter in Moore and 2-3 average starters.... the rest suck.  They’re a bottom tier offense, far from the dynamic offense NYRaider claims.

8 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

It’s the same thing as our D with Mack.... one great player doesn’t mean a team’s Off/Def is good.  Carolina is a below average offense with 1 great player whose held back by the rest and 1 nice starter in Moore and 2-3 average starters.... the rest suck.  They’re a bottom tier offense, far from the dynamic offense NYRaider claims.

That is a good comp. Very similar situation to our defense with Mack.

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

But I thought Nassib was a great pass rusher,,, as many on the board said he’d be.

what we really lack.... as I’ve said many times.... is a speed rusher.  Our DL will get sacks on long drop backs in due time, but we have no one who with crazy speed to get sacks/qb hits on quick passes.  

theres only a select few that can do that.... which is why I think we should consider using Littleton as a blitzer more often or should have brought in a twitchy, rush OLB.

That is why I liked Pagano.  He schemed players into positions to make plays.  It was a complete 180 after we got rid of KNJ.  Then we dumped him for Guenther and a lot of people in here told me not to worry about it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

That is why I liked Pagano.  He schemed players into positions to make plays.  It was a complete 180 after we got rid of KNJ.  Then we dumped him for Guenther and a lot of people in here told me not to worry about it.

Never worry.... that’s what everyone always says.... question any issue and the sky is falling according to you.  Smh around here.

For too dang long we refused to sculpt the defense to the players strengths.... dispute repeated failures.... it was nothing but ignorant, stubborn and bad coaching.

the new, young coaches have success cuz they work with what they have..:.. and we constantly hire retread coordinators, whose heck or high water approach fails miserably every time.  Next time we get a Coordinator I desperately want some successful, young coach.

im so tired of failed coordinators being. Hired and being so egotistical that they system will work if only the players do their jobs..... the same logic is why they were fired before coming here,,, if it didn’t work last time why will it work now?  They really have this crazy, stubborn logic that perplexes me.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Definitely don’t think they’re dynamic but there’s a wide spectrum between dynamic and dumpster fire.