2021 - NFL Draft Prospects Thread

Texas_OutLaw7

On 3/9/2021 at 1:45 PM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Zach Martin 2

His numbers are really good and he’s about as close as they come to the perfect type of player Philbin wants.
As enticing as it is adding Waddle, Pitts, or Smith is to this offense, or one of the CBS, I would be perfectly fine with Slater and infusing the OL with another elite level talent. 

Edited by WizardHawk

4 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

His numbers are really good and he’s about as close as they come to the perfect for the type of player Philbin wants.
As enticing as it is adding Waddle, Pitts, or Smith is to this offense, or one of the CBS, I would be perfectly fine with Slater and infusing the OL with another elite level talent. 

I agree. Really feeling like it will be hard to screw up the pick. Trading down too far and taking Micah Parsons are my only real worries. But with any of the other names being thrown out there at #10, I’m down. 

Thinking about things and reading just how deep this draft is with CB's, I guess I won't be too disappointed if we draft some one like Slater.  Especially now that I know Dak will be back. Personally I think so long as either Collins or Smith is back at tackles and we have no major other injuries to our OL our O will be elite next year.  Still it has been shown in the past having a offense that controls the game is a huge lift to your defense. Also improving the OL will allow us to get the most out Zeke as well.  

I've thought about the trade back to get Barmore but will Hill return, he was showing a lot of promise before his injury. 

Still I think our best bet is Farely or Surtain at 10.  With the comp pic in the third and fourth rounds we can add a very good OL who while not a imediate starter will be an improvement over who we have at back ups, say some one like Little of Stanford. 

I also can see us doubling down on CB with our first six picks of the draft. Thus based on how should be there versus who I want...

1st Farley or Surtain CB

2nd Nixon DT ?  there are a lot of options here,  would love Horn or Moehrig but doubt they will be available.. Davis Kenty Lb has my interest for his speed size but...

3rd Stokes CB or Browning LB or Moses LB.   

3rd Tuipuloto DL or Washington S or Ford S

4th  Wilson FL CB or Banks OL or 

4th LIttle OL  or Slaton FL DL

5th ??? pick around 154 have zero clue who might be amiable that we want from here on too much a crap shoot....

it's a little messy but would be happy with above names so long as we're getting 2 CB, 1 Safety, 2 LB  1 DL and 1 OL. in our first 7 picks....

10 hours ago, quiller said:

Thinking about things and reading just how deep this draft is with CB's, I guess I won't be too disappointed if we draft some one like Slater.  Especially now that I know Dak will be back. Personally I think so long as either Collins or Smith is back at tackles and we have no major other injuries to our OL our O will be elite next year.  Still it has been shown in the past having a offense that controls the game is a huge lift to your defense. Also improving the OL will allow us to get the most out Zeke as well.  

They restructured the contracts for Tyron and La'El that makes cutting them within the next two seasons pretty prohibitive. I don't think you do that if you are really worried about their recovery from injuries and short-to-medium future.

I don't think it eliminates Slater from the conversation. Slater probably walks into the league as a Pro Bowler at guard. You can play him at LG for a few seasons. It gives you insurance to basically any injury on the offensive line. And a few years from now, he's your LT.

I'm open to the Slater idea still. But I'm not going to be stressed if he's taken before our pick, either. I feel much better about our OL after those cap moves.

58 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I expect 2 out of these 3 will be at 10:

Waddle

Pitts

Slater

It's hard for me to imagine any defensive player I'd definitely take over any of those 3. (I'd understand if one of the top CBs is taken, but I think they all fall a notch below those 3.)

Jerry Jones yesterday saying “you have to be flexible, otherwise you miss out on CeeDee Lamb” might be foreshadowing...

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

1-F2391-A3-1742-434-A-B5-E0-8-F96-F229-B

Another mock that I did the other day. I’d do backflips if teams were dumb enough to allow this to happen.

Too old for backflips ....   still how in the world did Surtain get to 44...   I also would for sure draft a OL some where by pick 138.   I can see us taking Pitts and everyone would be happy but man I guess I just value what we have at TE more then others I guess. 

18 minutes ago, quiller said:

Too old for backflips ....   still how in the world did Surtain get to 44...   I also would for sure draft a OL some where by pick 138.   I can see us taking Pitts and everyone would be happy but man I guess I just value what we have at TE more then others I guess. 

When you see a TE drawing comparisons to Calvin Johnson, you pay attention and draft him regardless of who else is on the roster. Our TEs are decent, but nowhere near that level of player.

When you see a TE drawing comparisons to Calvin Johnson, you pay attention and draft him regardless of who else is on the roster. Our TEs are decent, but nowhere near that level of player.

If one or two of the NFCE teams ends up with Waddle and/or Pitts, I’m going to be stressed about having to deal with those guys for the next decade. If they take Surtain? Not so much. At all.

It’s a little bit different for us, since we have such a potent passing attack already. But if you have the chance to land a guy that will be a true nightmare for defensive coordinators, you have to consider it, at least. And are you willing to pass on them for a defender that isn’t going to give OCs nightmares, just because you have a need? 

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

If one or two of the NFCE teams ends up with Waddle and/or Pitts, I’m going to be stressed about having to deal with those guys for the next decade. If they take Surtain? Not so much. At all.

It’s a little bit different for us, since we have such a potent passing attack already. But if you have the chance to land a guy that will be a true nightmare for defensive coordinators, you have to consider it, at least. And are you willing to pass on them for a defender that isn’t going to give OCs nightmares, just because you have a need? 

Exactly, old friend. You know my take on the draft beyond the o-line/d-line statement. Take the BPA regardless of position (within limits, obviously). 

And this draft is insanely deep at WR, so we may have to face Waddle or Chase twice a year. Hopefully, Miami will grab one of them.

Edited by plan9misfit

I’m having a tough time classifying as a TE anymore. 

With the 3rd pick the Miami Dolphins select WR, Kyle Pitts, Florida. 

4 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I expect 2 out of these 3 will be at 10:

Waddle

Pitts

Slater

It's hard for me to imagine any defensive player I'd definitely take over any of those 3. (I'd understand if one of the top CBs is taken, but I think they all fall a notch below those 3.)

I can not agree with you even more.

I also think they have something up there sleeves. Why did they not restructure Cooper? He can save us a lot of Money if not on the books next year. 

How about they trade Cooper to the Patriots for Gilmore. There is no CB in this draft that is on his level or would be a more immediate help.

We can than sign a Tomlinson and Hooker

Draft Waddle at 10, then defensive help the rest of the way.

3 minutes ago, eagles suck said:

I can not agree with you even more.

I also think they have something up there sleeves. Why did they not restructure Cooper? He can save us a lot of Money if not on the books next year. 

How about they trade Cooper to the Patriots for Gilmore. There is no CB in this draft that is on his level or would be a more immediate help.

We can than sign a Tomlinson and Hooker

Draft Waddle at 10, then defensive help the rest of the way.

They may still restructure Cooper.

But no, I am not trading my stud 26 year old receiver for the 30 year old corner who is going to want a brand new contract after we trade for him. Just, no.