College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

11 hours ago, bruceb said:

The following mock typifies the "have to draft a WR R1" madness.

I mean, really, if Linderbaum (ironically chosen by BAL), Hamilton, Leal and Dean are still available, do you go WR?

And, as in this mock, not even the best available, imho:

https://www.nfl.com/news/bucky-brooks-2022-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-kenny-pickett-matt-corral-only-qbs-selected

Besides the DEs the only other defensive player I’d take over a receiver would be Hamilton. 

And I’m still not 100% confident in that. Wilson and Burks are good prospects. I’m not as high on London for Baker. He’s not good at throwing 50/50 balls. He needs a guy who can run routed and create separation or he’ll throw picks. 

In Buckys mock gun to my head I think I’d go Hamilton.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bruceb said:

The following mock typifies the "have to draft a WR R1" madness.

I mean, really, if Linderbaum (ironically chosen by BAL), Hamilton, Leal and Dean are still available, do you go WR?

And, as in this mock, not even the best available, imho:

https://www.nfl.com/news/bucky-brooks-2022-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-kenny-pickett-matt-corral-only-qbs-selected

I think it would be wrong to pass on Leal, but I won’t be “upset.”

I will flip **** if we pass on Dean.

12 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I think it would be wrong to pass on Leal, but I won’t be “upset.”

I will flip **** if we pass on Dean.

11 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Agreed

I think you guys should maybe brace yourselves.

@FGK was 100% right when he said this FO doesn’t value off ball linebackers enough to spend a top 15 pick on them.  

This doesn’t mean I (or freaky, idk) agree with that, but it’s the reality from what we’ve seen and know of analytics.

I personally would, for the right guy under the right circumstances.  I think JOK showed last season just how much a top tier player at the second level can help a defense. The idea that LB is plug and play and there’s they don’t impact the game enough to take high is insane to me.

All that said, I’d still take a similar prospect at DE, CB or OT every single time (with need being the same).  I think this year DE and WR are the most likely, with need being the driver behind WR more than preference for taking that position R1.  I wouldn’t expect that most years, but we need a #1.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think this year DE and WR are the most likely, with need being the driver behind WR more than preference for taking that position R1.  I wouldn’t expect that most years, but we need a #1.

If they are true to their analytics, need will not be a factor.

I think they might not even go wr in round 1. 

I think it will be DE or DT which are much harder to find, some of the best wr in the league are 2nd and 3rd rounders.

Dk 

Cupp

Michael Thomas 

I cant think of a top 10 DE drafted outside of round 1

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bruceb said:

If they are true to their analytics, need will not be a factor.

That's... Not how analytics works?

Analytics = Gathering every possible type and scrap of information in order to make the decision that is most likely to bring about a successful outcome.

The needs of the team are one point of information. They aren't the ONLY point of information. But if you think the team isn't factoring in, for instance, the current strength of the CB position, into their decision making, then you're crazy.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FGK said:

That's... Not how analytics works?

Analytics = Gathering every possible type and scrap of information in order to make the decision that is most likely to bring about a successful outcome.

The needs of the team are one point of information. They aren't the ONLY point of information. But if you think the team isn't factoring in, for instance, the current strength of the CB position, into their decision making, then you're crazy.

I second this comment, need is factored into analytical thinking 

21 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I think you’re right. They’re gonna try really hard in free agency to land some guys.

See I don’t think we’ll be able to sign FAs

nobody is gonna want to come here unless we just overpay guys. No one is going to jump at playing with baker after the Odell situation. 

best bet is going to be to draft a guy and develop him within the offense. Or trade for a guy already on a contract. 

I’m not looking to overpay so it’s either draft or Ridley/Thomas in my opinion 

44 minutes ago, brownie man said:

See I don’t think we’ll be able to sign FAs

nobody is gonna want to come here unless we just overpay guys. No one is going to jump at playing with baker after the Odell situation. 

best bet is going to be to draft a guy and develop him within the offense. Or trade for a guy already on a contract. 

I’m not looking to overpay so it’s either draft or Ridley/Thomas in my opinion 

Michael Gallup is my target #1 for a reason. He will want to go somewhere and get #1 WR targets.

40 minutes ago, FGK said:

But if you think the team isn't factoring in, for instance, the current strength of the CB position, into their decision making, then you're crazy.

I have no doubt that it is a factor.

I just hope that it is not a decision-driving factor for these guys.

I would not let it be.

A need-based selection is expedient, not principled. Seems that when you force fit your pick based on need it often doesn't turn out well.

Witness some of our recent need-based picks -- Weeden, Manziel, Gilbert, Coleman, Mayfield and Wills. Most of them are not even in the league.

Were there better players available when those guys were drafted? Hell yes.

In hindsight, Allen and Wirfs, for example, would have been much better picks in 2018 and 2020.

Which, now that I think about it, calls into question our FOs' abilities to evaluate players.