College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

15 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Free agency is still in full swing, but I think the pick was going to be Walker until he shot up draft boards. Unless we trade up, I don't see that working out. I'd say the same thing applies to Jermaine Johnson as well though he's a little less stout in the run than we like our DE opposite Myles to be. If I had to make a (short) big board of players likely for the Browns to pick and likely to be available at 13 it looks like this: 

1. George Karlaftis, DE

2. Garrett Wilson, WR

3. Jordan Davis, DT

Why are folks so polarized about this guy? I see him talked about top-10 and also being a bust. The other two are my 1a and 1b for our pick.

2 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Why are folks so polarized about this guy? I see him talked about top-10 and also being a bust. The other two are my 1a and 1b for our pick.

It's because he's not a combine freak and was schemed out by great offenses (The OSU tape). He's not an exceptional pass rusher or run stopper but rather a jack of all trades kind of DE. He's powerful AF though and has the tenacity needed for a strong side end. He's a huge complement to Myles. 

1 minute ago, Reginaldm9 said:

It's because he's not a combine freak and was schemed out by great offenses (The OSU tape). He's not an exceptional pass rusher or run stopper but rather a jack of all trades kind of DE. He's powerful AF though and has the tenacity needed for a strong side end. He's a huge complement to Myles. 

Hmm...that description honestly doesn't make me want him at all 😅, at least not at 13. He actually WAS a combine freak, though. He didn't run the 40 but might have low 4.5 speed, as he moves well. He's almost 270 and had a 38" vertical, which is insane. If he doesn't excel at anything, why would you want him at all in the first round? He doesn't look very strong TBH and only had 21 reps, not that that means everything.

3 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Hmm...that description honestly doesn't make me want him at all 😅, at least not at 13. He actually WAS a combine freak, though. He didn't run the 40 but might have low 4.5 speed, as he moves well. He's almost 270 and had a 38" vertical, which is insane. If he doesn't excel at anything, why would you want him at all in the first round? He doesn't look very strong TBH and only had 21 reps, not that that means everything.

I want him because with an NFL weight training plan I think he'll be a nightmare on stunts and rushing from inside like Clowney did. 

23 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

I want him because with an NFL weight training plan I think he'll be a nightmare on stunts and rushing from inside like Clowney did. 

Assuming Travon Walker and David Ojabo are also available, is George still the guy you want?

I have a feeling that we are going to be using our #1 pick on Malik Willis. Thinking back to what McShay said about him, "go to a team with a good defense and a great run game". That's us. I think they were serious about the Watson interest, but I think Willis is the backup plan. It's all silent to this point right now, and I have a strong feeling that any Baker trade will happen during or after the draft. Trading him before without putting another starting caliber guy on the roster will be a clear indicator IMO. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brownie man said:

Winston Willis combo 

Are we really thinking this is an upgrade? Drafting Malik Willis instead of drafting a receiver or another player while keeping Mayfield? Jameis? 🦀 Of all the options, I am 100% not on board with taking a quarterback with our first pick in this crop. Jimmy G, Carr, whatever … but Jameis/Willis and no 1st round position guy is gross.

• Like 1