College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

Robinson’s a box safety guy. Probably a 3rd-4th type guy I’d imagine. I’m not sure the fit is really there unless he slips until later in the draft or something. Maybe they like him at nickel? Or they’re ready for alternatives to delfin.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

Robinson is not one of my Top 5 safety prospects in this class, which is already very weak. So yeah, I assume we'll draft him after trading up to draft a corner in R2, then making sure we nab a DT R6 and LB R7 so that we can say "look at us, we addressed that Front 7!"

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Robinson is not one of my Top 5 safety prospects in this class, which is already very weak. So yeah, I assume we'll draft him after trading up to draft a corner in R2, then making sure we nab a DT R6 and LB R7 so that we can say "look at us, we addressed that Front 7!"

“If we draft a corner in R2 we’ve invested in them, but a LB in R2 is entirely different.”

”If we draft a safety in R4 that’s a big deal, but if we draft a DT in R4 it’s an afterthought.”

28 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That’s a really odd RAS.  Like every metric is poor or elite, no in between.

Essentially it says:

1. He's a very undersized player, but strong considering how undersized he is.

2. He has next to zero explosive ability as an athlete, whether that's jumping or lateral ability (gross for a DB)

3. He has a good initial burst as a runner (yay!), average top end speed (meh), and he has either elite or awful change of direction depending on whether or not you like shuttle or 3 cone.

26 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

“If we draft a corner in R2 we’ve invested in them, but a LB in R2 is entirely different.”

See, now that's the spirit!

Given Berry has drafted a CB in R1, CB in R3, S in R2, JJ3 to a ludicrous contract, and a single LB in R2, I'd say the scale is pretty slanted.

26 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

”If we draft a safety in R4 that’s a big deal, but if we draft a DT in R4 it’s an afterthought.”

We actually have 2 3rd Round picks

:)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Essentially it says:

1. He's a very undersized player, but strong considering how undersized he is.

so it’s odd…  Does the size matter if the dude is jacked af and able to bully bigger dudes? Like, how often do you look at a DB and think, “damn if he was an inch taller or 10 pounds heavier he makes that play”?

2. He has next to zero explosive ability as an athlete, whether that's jumping or lateral ability (gross for a DB)

stuff like this makes me think back to a guy i grew up with.  Dude had a 43 inch vert but wasn’t great jumping off of one foot.  Legit would slow down and jump off 2 feet to dunk a basketball.  Other guys weren’t nearly as explosive from a static start, but we’re more explosive when moving.

3. He has a good initial burst as a runner (yay!), average top end speed (meh),

I’d rather have that combo paired with a guy who can process quickly than someone who’s more of a track athlete and less instinctual.  At least at S.

and he has either elite or awful change of direction depending on whether or not you like shuttle or 3 cone.

So that’s what’s odd.  Can he change direction or not?  Seeing such a variance is wild.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

See, now that's the spirit!

Given Berry has drafted a CB in R1, CB in R3, S in R2, JJ3 to a ludicrous contract, and a single LB in R2, I'd say the scale is pretty slanted.

listen pal, stop moving the goalposts.  We’re talking about drafting corners.

17 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

We actually have 2 3rd Round picks

:)

Jack Campbell and Mazi Smith.  Make it happen AB.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

so it’s odd…  Does the size matter if the dude is jacked af and able to bully bigger dudes? Like, how often do you look at a DB and think, “damn if he was an inch taller or 10 pounds heavier he makes that play”?

I'm personally more interested in "functional strength" vs. the bench press. Don't get me wrong, I love it to a degree, but given his short arms, that's also a functional advantage per the technique required. I do think size matters for things like durability and such, especially if he's in the box and/or covering TE's and getting bullied.

stuff like this makes me think back to a guy i grew up with.  Dude had a 43 inch vert but wasn’t great jumping off of one foot.  Legit would slow down and jump off 2 feet to dunk a basketball.  Other guys weren’t nearly as explosive from a static start, but we’re more explosive when moving.

No question

I’d rather have that combo paired with a guy who can process quickly than someone who’s more of a track athlete and less instinctual.  At least at S.

I agree with this

So that’s what’s odd.  Can he change direction or not?  Seeing such a variance is wild.

This variance is just flat out weird and I don't know if I've legit ever seen something like this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I'm personally more interested in "functional strength" vs. the bench press.

Oh I agree.  I don’t think bench in and of itself means much of ****, just that it shows who’s spending time in the weight room.

If you’re 190 or whatever and doing 23 reps your strong as **** and work at it.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Don't get me wrong, I love it to a degree, but given his short arms, that's also a functional advantage per the technique required.

This is actually a myth.  The short arms= easier to press thing had hung around forever but generally speaking the biggest factor is size.  The strongest dudes aren’t small.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I do think size matters for things like durability and such, especially if he's in the box and/or covering TE's and getting bullied.

No on the first, yes to a degree on the second.  Durability is a weird one.  Size doesn’t hurt, but some guys just can’t stay healthy despite their size and some dudes are durable despite theirs.

As far as being bullied, I can live with a guy getting bullied every now and then if they’re consistently in position and making plays.  Having some dude who’s a physical stud who doesn’t know where to be is far more of a concern at S imo. 90% of that job is just being where you’re supposed to be.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

This variance is just flat out weird and I don't know if I've legit ever seen something like this.

Yeah it’s just odd.  No clue what if any significance there is, but it’s weird.

• Like 1