Why You Should Always Pay Attention to FCS Football

Thaiphoon

This is why it pays to pay attention to ALL of D-1 (FBS AND FCS) when you are scouting.

The fact that this guy went undrafted is a crime. I realize it was COVID and the lack of workouts. But the Fall season had already played. And I know we picked up Gibson, but this guy can ball. Watch him be something special (even in Jax).

https://www.sportscasting.com/who-is-james-robinson-the-undrafted-running-back-starting-in-jacksonville/

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2020/9/13/21435126/james-robinson-sets-nfl-record-for-undrafted-running-backs-in-debut

Mark Long of the Associated Press brought this up earlier in the week — Robinson would need 45 yards for the best Week 1 debut of any undrafted running back in NFL history.

He has 61 yards at halftime.

Finished with 62. But I think that was more of the Colts adjusting. He also had a catch for 28 yards.

Give it time and this guy is gonna be one that we're all like "how did this guy go undrafted??"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

@ripsean21 I think you and I talked about this guy last Fall didn't we?

We did we talked about this guy a lot. This year honestly I can’t speak to the 90’s or earlier but this class of small school players was the deepest class I can even remember. Not even just the Chin/ Troutman this whole class was a really deep class. I’m really excited to see these last two classes. So many pass catchers and backs and the defensive talent that have come out. A lot of teams had opportunities late or even with undrafted guys. This guy has a chance and I really like him with Gruden. For all the bashing of Gruden as a OC the guy is really good. Leader of men throughout a locker room hard pass. 

But we have talked a lot about Jimmy mo picks 😂😂😂 that was a heck of a play against philly I’m so pumped we get to evaluate him here because I think we both agree he’s going to outplay his draft position by alot

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Woz said:

This is also why I say you should almost never invest significant resources (cap space or draft picks) in running backs.

I don't disagree. Good with never spending higher than a 3rd on a guy. That said, I think guys like Zeke and McCaffrey have been worth it. Barkley would be fine on a little better team. 

23 hours ago, Woz said:

This is also why I say you should almost never invest significant resources (cap space or draft picks) in running backs.

It depends on where you are as far as building a team, but for the most part I agree.  

And let's be real here, it is hard to scout everybody in an area, even with all of the technology we have available to the scouts and front offices now.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't disagree. Good with never spending higher than a 3rd on a guy. That said, I think guys like Zeke and McCaffrey have been worth it. Barkley would be fine on a little better team. 

They are worth it if you are a team on the cusp of competing.  Zeke and C-Mac are great talents, but they are being wasted on average at best teams and are now getting paid a lot of money.  The Chiefs drafting CEH is a great move.  

8 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

They are worth it if you are a team on the cusp of competing.  Zeke and C-Mac are great talents, but they are being wasted on average at best teams and are now getting paid a lot of money.  The Chiefs drafting CEH is a great move.  

As far as the Panthers, yes. I think the Cowboys are the best team in the East still. We'll see with them as the season progresses. 

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

As far as the Panthers, yes. I think the Cowboys are the best team in the East still. We'll see with them as the season progresses. 

But are they really going to go far in the playoffs?  They aren't constructed well for the playoffs, and with them likely giving Dakota a big extension, as well as big money extensions for Cooper, some of the OL and EE himself, the benefit of having EE is now diminished.  I have no problem spending a first rounder on a RB, but after five years of heavy use, I am doubtful that I would extend them. 

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

But are they really going to go far in the playoffs? 

Odds say no, but stranger things have happened. Eli did it twice as the go to example 😆.

They aren't constructed well for the playoffs, and with them likely giving Dakota a big extension, as well as big money extensions for Cooper, some of the OL and EE himself, the benefit of having EE is now diminished.  I have no problem spending a first rounder on a RB, but after five years of heavy use, I am doubtful that I would extend them. 

The NFC is still weaker than the AFC to me. The Saints (a common pick) lost Thomas for who knows how long and Brees ... is kinda looking old still. Seahawks are good. Packers I would say are too early to tell from one game. The public was writing off A-Rodg. The Niners didn't look hot week 1 due to Jimmy G actually not being good among other things. That division is gonna beat the crap out of each other.