What movie are you watching?

Forge

1 hour ago, SMashMouthMike said:

There isn’t. But top 10 is littered with classics that added something to the story of the west and have held up in one way or another for decades. Movies like Shane, High Noon, some of the spaghetti westerns, I’d argue the shootist, Unforgiven, the proposition, a few of the Randolph Scott westerns, some say the Searchers, John Wayne’s Calvary westerns, 3:10 to Yuma, True Grit, maybe McCabe and Mrs miller, and others like Josey Wales and the wild bunch, the Kevin Costner one that I always forget the name of, etc.  Then there’s those modern westerns like ncfom and hell or high water types that should not be ignored. I’d just say it’s a solid top 20-25 western but not top 10. Definitely not ‘easily’ top 10. Now if Old Henry nailed that kid’s role I could see top 10. He just drops it a letter grade or so for me. Couldn’t stand him. 

The kid from Shane had to have been way more annoying

5 hours ago, Malfatron said:

The kid from Shane had to have been way more annoying

Not for me. This kid is a lot older (near 16 -18ish) and still acts like a 4 year old. lol. But Old Henry is still very very good. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike

20 hours ago, SMashMouthMike said:

There isn’t. But top 10 is littered with classics that added something to the story of the west and have held up in one way or another for decades. Movies like Shane, High Noon, some of the spaghetti westerns, I’d argue the shootist, Unforgiven, the proposition, a few of the Randolph Scott westerns, some say the Searchers, John Wayne’s Calvary westerns, 3:10 to Yuma, True Grit, maybe McCabe and Mrs miller, and others like Josey Wales and the wild bunch, the Kevin Costner one that I always forget the name of, Liberty Valance etc.  Then there’s those modern westerns like ncfom and hell or high water types that should not be ignored. I’d just say it’s a solid top 20-25 western but not top 10. Definitely not ‘easily’ top 10. Now if Old Henry nailed that kid’s role I could see top 10. He just drops it a letter grade or so for me. Couldn’t stand him. 

The Good the Bad and the Ugly is better than True Grit, the old one or the remake honestly.  3:10 to Yuma sure but you talking the old or the new one?  Shane probably top 10 I guess, Unforgiven no question about that one.  Dances With Wolves is way the heck up there even though it is not a typical Western of course.

Hell or High Water is up there no doubt, Sweet Country is up there but might not crack the top 10.  The Rider is an outstanding film but again not technically a Western but in that vibe.  No Country for Old Men is also kind of a Western but then again kind of not so it is hard to say what is one and what is not.  Once Upon A Time in the West is right there with them all of course.  Bone Tomahawk is super cool but yeah probably not top 10, Tombstone is up there, The Magnificent Seven, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Rio Bravo, High Noon and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.  Heck The Revenant one could maybe consider a Western type movie, The Hateful Eight which I did not mind at all, Django Unchained as well but again hard to know what is a Western and what is not technically.

I would say the best one or my favorite would be The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.  That movie visually is absolutely outstanding and the story is just so cool and Brad Pitt is great in it!  I love that movie and honestly it is an all time favorite of mine across all genres.

Yeah. Unforgiven is my favorite. Screenwriter chose taxi driver and combined it with the Shootist. Ncfom is an antiwestern told in reverse, in that it tells how the modern west has been lost. Could talk about certain westerns all day long. Fun genre. I just wish someone would remake some of the older ones that had corny stuff in them, especially the searchers. 

la-et-mn-ryan-reynolds-deadpool-20160209

Watching some previous movies with the wife to gear up for Deadpool and Wolverine.  My oldests are pumped for it so she is catching up so we can all go see it in the theater (except for my youngest).  Started off with Deadpool, which she enjoyed more than I expected.

On 7/16/2024 at 7:58 PM, Ray Reed said:

Longlegs pretty solid 

Enjoyed it

Billing it as one of the scariest movies will leave some disappointed, but as a 90s-ish serial killer movie it had the feel of Silence of the Lambs or a Seven. I think both of those are better movies obviously, as they are classics. But it was a memorable attempt to emulate those and kinda do their own thing with modern visual horror imagery.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Enjoyed it

Billing it as one of the scariest movies will leave some disappointed, but as a 90s-ish serial killer movie it had the feel of Silence of the Lambs or a Seven. I think both of those are better movies obviously, as they are classics. But it was a memorable attempt to emulate those and kinda do their own thing with modern visual horror imagery.

See the atmosphere is what hooked me and I was thinking about it days later I even saw it again to get some clarity on my questions and it turns out I was off on the ending. It's right up there with silence of the lambs to me But Seven it's not even close I agree with that.

Spoiler

I thought she ran out of bullets only had 3 I thought. But it seems the doll was influencing her ability to shoot the gun.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

03LOGAN-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg

Watched Logan with the wife before we move onto Deadpool 2

this movie is so good.. I love it.

It is probably my 3rd favorite of any of the super hero types of movies only The Dark Knight and Batman Begins ahead of it.

40 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

See the atmosphere is what hooked me and I was thinking about it days later I even saw it again to get some clarity on my questions and it turns out I was off on the ending. It's right up there with silence of the lambs to me But Seven it's not even close I agree with that.

Reveal hidden contents

I thought she ran out of bullets only had 3 I thought. But it seems the doll was influencing her ability to shoot the gun.

Ahh that answers a question I had too

Yeah the atmosphere is tense and unsettling…really worked for me too. Since it’s more horror than those two it got to play with that a little more with the what is real and what isn’t of it all.

Spoiler

Which yeah, parts of it for sure being real like the dolls messing with people’s mind changed this up from serial killer thriller to something a little different. As per the actual demonic/satanist stuff I took that as more interpretive as to if it was really part of it at all.

Would be interested in reading other people’s thoughts on that though.

When we saw the evil force / satan it was usually in a unreliable POV like cutting to LongLegs’ basement or flashback.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

Ahh that answers a question I had too

Yeah the atmosphere is tense and unsettling…really worked for me too. Since it’s more horror than those two it got to play with that a little more with the what is real and what isn’t of it all.

Hide contents

Which yeah, parts of it for sure being real like the dolls messing with people’s mind changed this up from serial killer thriller to something a little different. As per the actual demonic/satanist stuff I took that as more interpretive as to if it was really part of it at all.

Would be interested in reading other people’s thoughts on that though.

When we saw the evil force / satan it was usually in a unreliable POV like cutting to LongLegs’ basement or flashback.

There's so many ways you can think about things with this movie I must of watched 6 reviews to get different interpretations.

Another question  I had

Spoiler

I know the doll the mom shot was tied to the daughter's ability to remember longlegs. But was it also tied to her psychic abilities? She seems a bit she'll shocked in the last scene not trying to prevent anything 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

There's so many ways you can think about things with this movie I must of watched 6 reviews to get different interpretations.

Another question  I had

Hide contents

I know the doll the mom shot was tied to the daughter's ability to remember longlegs. But was it also tied to her psychic abilities? She seems a bit she'll shocked in the last scene not trying to prevent anything 

Same

and could be, wasn't sure which way that went either. But liked the vagueness