Broncos Film Review - 2020 Season

lomaxgrUK

Remaining 3rd quarter notes (7 mins left)

- Justin Jones disrupting our run 1st down. We try to pull Schlottman on an outside trap, but Jones just shoots the gap and forces Lindsay to make an early cut. 2 yard gain
- 3rd and 8 and the pass pro is perfect vs the 4 man rush. Chargers try a T / T stunt and this time Cushenberry sees it coming and he levels Jones to the floor. Hamilton comes open over the middle with the Chargers in zone, and it goes for 12. Poor play by the MLB (Murray) who doesn't read the QBs eyes. Lock stared Hamilton down the whole way, so he should've found a way to get in the passing lane, given the pass was right across the middle
- We actually run a genuine Run-Pass Option (RPO), here. Don't think I have seen us do this at all this year. This time, Murray does a great job of getting back into the passing lane to force the throw behind Jeudy, who still had a chance to come up with the play

- There is so much  going on in the 55 yard Lindsay TD. I will try my best to catch everything ...
We single block upfront, with Schlottmann pulling from RG to the left B gap. Schlottmann, just in the nick of time, finds his 2nd level block on the MLB (Murray) to spring the run. Fant does a great job sealing the OLB, Hamilton seals off the LCB, Bolles gets to the 2nd level quickly, Brown (WR, #19) gets just enough of the Safety to prevent him making a play, and then you have Phil - two perfect speed cuts (one jump, one speed) and boy can he get skinny in the hole. Phil makes the FS miss and it's TD time. Exactly how you draw it up.

- First time all game our Defense goes with Sly Williams and Harris at DT in our Nickel D. Much more size there. Chargers try a zone right run but Harris resets the LOS against a double team, meaning the double team peals too late and Johnson makes a play at the LOS
- Herbert squeezes and off balance throw into Allen, who sits in between a Jewell/Johnson zone. Chubb  and Reed were just getting to Herbert
- Alex Johnson was cooked on that attempted throw by Keenan Allen. He drove at Jackson coming on the wheel route, rather than running upfield with him
- Another Malik Reed pressure, this time on 3rd down and forces the incomplete pass. Now 3rd and 10
- Fangio sends 6, with Johnson and Jackson as the blitzers in the same gap. Chubb does a nice job of running a wide pass rush, creating a gap for Jackson to go straight through. He forces Herbert to retreat and his only option is to dump the ball down way short of the sticks

- We try pulling Risner from LG to the outside of our formation to the right, but Joey Bosa prevents the play from doing anything, as he is single blocked by Vannett and controls the block the entire way. 2 yard gain by Gordon
- The Lock INT is just a poor read for a play that simply isn't there. The Chargers are in what is basically a Cover 2. Look how wide the Safeties are aligned; if they keep any sort of depth, that sideline throw isn't there. Fant and Jeudy are both running symmetrical out and up routes with a QB pump fake to sell the out, but as soon as the Safety gets that wide, those routes are done. Drew should've come off them straight away. For me, the better route combination here would be to have Fant on a go route/skinny post to hold the Safety in field. 
If Drew had waited a second longer for Jeudy to run off the Safety, he mayyyy have had Fant, but you can't rely on a play taking 5 seconds to develop. Pass pro is perfect.

- Shelby Harris a lot more active now. Makes two plays in a row in the run game, now 3rd and 4
- That Callahan INT is just an incredible play by him. It's a tad underthrown but no more. The body control of these NFL players sometimes is just mind boggling

- Like the call on 1st down. It's a two route play action call from 12 personnel. We know it's likely going to be a 8 man box vs that look on 1st down, meaning either Cover 1 or Cover 3 (the latter). The wrinkle for us is that both Jeudy and Hamler are on 20 yard comeback routes which is rare. Jeudy gets out of his break well, but in truth the RCB plays it poorly. Look at the technique difference between him and Hayward at LCB. Hayward plays with outside, trail technique knowing he has a Safety in the middle of the field. The RCB stays on top of Jeudy with a sizeable cushion, giving him the comeback

- I refuse to play the clip of the Desean Hamilton block in the back. Dumbest play of this season
- Right now, Drew just isn't processing fast enough. He's sticking on to his 1st read too long and then just going straight to his check down if that isn't there. I am aware that this is soon to change
- False start by Albert O to end the Quarter

• Like 1

4th quarter notes

- I think many of us watching live thought Jeudy was roasting Drew after this throw, but he's going after the official. How do they not flag defensive holding on this play? Inside pressure forces Drew to scramble, as Joseph bull rushes Risner back and Jones slowly walks Cushenberry back

- The 3rd and 16 play is, in my opinion, the biggest play of the game. I know the Phil run was huge but it didn't change our Offensive performance. We still sucked a fair bit after it. But from this point, things get going. The Chargers are in Cover 4 zone underneath. We have trips to the field (right), with Albert O to the left. It's a good call against zone coverage; the RCB won't travel in zone, so chances are you're getting a WR running against a Safety.
First key part of this play - the protection holds up.  It isn't perfect (Bosa nearly gets held), but it holds up.
Second key - Hamilton runs off the Safety from the outside slot. He shows really impressive speed to do this; speed I didn't know he had. 
Third key - Hamler, from the inside slot, intentionally holds his route in field enough to engage the MLB who is dropping in the zone. So, when Hamler begins to break to his left, the MLB moves ever so slightly with him to open the hole where the throw ends up going.
Fourth key - Jeudy curls his route at the perfect moment, i.e when the DB just starts to panic at float back to the sticks.
Fifth key - the throw is an absolute laser. Drew does nothing with his eyes; he's looking at Jeudy the entire way. That is a huge risk against zone coverage, where everyone is looking at the QB. This is why Hamilton was so key to run off the Safety, as you often see Safeties making plays in zone coverage for this reason.
Love the play for us; that said, the Chargers will be very disappointed in their zone coverage, in particular the left hand side of that zone coverage.

- We follow the big play with our favourite big play running concept. Jet motion from the strong side to hold the LBs, Risner pulling from LG to the outside of formation, TE blocks down and so does the slot WR. 

- On 1st and 15 after an illegal formation penalty, we call just a single curl route to Hamilton against zone coverage that goes for 9 after some nice and direct YAC. More of these please ... Not everything has to go beyond the sticks
- The TD throw to Albert O is, well, insane. Again, Drew does nothing with his eyes. He's looking and going there the entire time. But, what he does do is throw with anticipation. Look at where Albert is when Drew pulls the trigger; he's at the 3 yard line and he hasn't made his final cut yet. #43 has to hold outside in case Albert goes to the corner. That gives Lock the window at the back of the endzone. I let the film run through both angles so you can see the two people that the throw beats for the score. Ridiculous throw, and a nice catch too.

- Chargers go 2 TE on 1st down. Very, very rare. Puts us in our base 3-4 which has also been rare (Harris, Sly Williams, D Willaims on the DL). Zone run goes for 3
- Chubb dives inside on 2nd and 8, falls to the ground and then contain is lost. Herbert slides out way to the left, sets his feet and guns it to Williams on the sideline. That is the play where Jackson KO'd Bouye ...
- I think Alex Johnson has had enough of the runs up the gut by this point. He times his run blitz perfectly, and the run goes for a 5 yard loss.

- Chubb then loses contain by darting inside (again), and the run goes for 8 to bring up 3rd and 7
- We call another fire blitz with single man coverage across the board (Jewell in a zone to stop slant routes). This time, we show our hand way too early and Herbert knows the blitz is coming. However, it's a miscommunication between him and Williams as he throws the go route and Williams breaks off his route. FG is good - 27-17 with 8 mins left

- Bosa is out of the game now
- Here comes Risner on the wide pull again on a Shotgun run play. There are differences between this and the previous one I showed. There's no WR motion. Fant goes to the 2nd level for his block, rather than cutting off the DE. Instead, Dotson cuts off the DT and Risner blocks the DE who is very slow to see the play developing. The block to spring it is the Schlottmann block, as he peels off the double team to justtttt get a piece of the MLB and Lindsay is off. Great blocking by Fant downfield to get an extra 10 (then 15 for the personal foul).

- This is what people mean when they talk complementary football. Look below at the Chargers presnap. They have an 8 man box vs 11 personnel (3 WR, 1 TE). That is so rare. This is a direct result of us starting to run the ball well and the Chargers are clearly sick of it. It's a great matchup for us.
The Chargers are in Cover 3 again (the LCB, FS, RCB all have a deep 3rd each) and we call a good route to counter. Hamilton is on a corner route, which puts him between the FS and the LCB. It's why Hayward lets him go, as he's expecting help from his FS. The problem is, the FS has aligned himself to the right because we have 2 WRs over there. He's way too slow to realise he doesn't have a deep route to cover over there, and that gives Lock a window when Hayward cuts Hamilton loose.
The throw is another laser. Drew staring him down the whole way, though.

- 3rd and 2 on the following Chargers possession, and the Chargers convert with a comeback route to Allen who's 1v1 vs Ojemudia. Allen makes two separate moves and the kid sticks with him; it's just a well timed, accurate throw to prevent him making a play
- Herbert then keeps it on the QB option for 10. First time all game
- We're daring the Chargers to throw on 1st down now. We run blitz from the outside and the run play blows up for a 2 yard loss
- Some awful tackling on the HB screen by Ojemudia, goes for a 1st
- Deshawn Williams gets walled off below. It's poor from him, but excellent from the LG. Williams has the presnap leverage for that play, but he's slow off the ball and the LG is able to get playside. Poor Kareem Jackson ain't got a hope against a LT coming at him

- Man, that Hunter Henry chop block was a tough call. Clearly not intentional. Put the Chargers in 1st and 25 when they were really rolling. Forced to kick the FG with 2.30 mins to go

- This is a big boy run by Gordon. I like the WR jet motion, which freezes the LBs inside for a split second. It's Garrett Bolles who springs it by showing his athleticism to get inside of Tillery. Great job by Risner to hold up Tillery, then Risner sneaks through to the 2nd level. Gordon then carries 3 men for a 7 yard gain.
If you want to see a tired man, look at #95 (Joseph). The guy is just stood up with no leverage, chillin' mid play here. 

- Joseph then comes back and bullrushes Schlottmann to the ground, so who's laughing now! It's the play where Lock misses an open Fant whilst scrambling to the right. Bad throw.
- 3rd and 8 is that needless PI call by the DB on Albert O. It was 4 yards short of the sticks. So dumb. Drew staring him down the whole way
- Schlottmann beat by the T / E stunt. Good job by Drew to fade back, buy time and find Hamler on the crosser for 7 to avoid the sack
- Back yard football from Drew now. Escapes the pocket and throws across his body to Hamilton for 10
- Chargers playing exclusively zone on the final drive
- What an  effort by Gordon to get the 1st on that out route. He's been money on this final drive
- On the Albert O PI call that  got us down to the goal line, we isolated him again on the front side of the formation. It's trips to the left. The DB plays it so well; all he needs to do is turn his head to the right (that is the only side the ball can go for Albert to catch it) and the Chargers win the game.
Instead, he just carries on running straight into Albert and it's an easy call.

- Backyard football wins the game! I will let you all find this clip on youtube to enjoy

• Like 2

some 1st quarter notes

- You can tell the Falcons have done their home work. We always play zone on 1st down vs run package Offense (12 personnel - 2 WR, 2 TE). Julio is in the slot and Harris stays at LCB, meaning it's Jewell lined up over Julio with Jackson shaded his way.
Julio runs a corner force a deep drop from Ojemudia (with Jackson over the top), leaving the flat totally free for an easy 12 yard throw to Hurst in the flat (vacated by Ojemudia). All starts with correctly identifying our tendencies.
- Kareem Jackson is one of the best run defending DBs in the league. He reads the run the whole way, and trusts his inside defense from Jones (who splits a double team for penetration) and shoots the gap to make the play

- Falcons go empty, 4 WR, 1 TE. Julio in the slot again. Bassey plays 7 yards off, easy 5 yard out rout that goes for 7. Nice bull rush by Jones to nearly get there
- 3rd and 5, that's a hell of a 1 handed catch by #17 across the middle. Not terrible coverage by Ojemudia. We blitzed Johnson, but Gurley picks him up perfectly. Nowhere near enough pocket disruption for a 3rd down blitz
- Sly Williams in on 1st down in our Nickel D. Stumbles and ends up on the floor quickly. Run only goes for 3 yards
- Yehhhhhh, this probably isn't how you want to play the run. It's a stretch zone run, and I wouldn't say a player of ours (who can impact the play) actually plays it well. Chickillo technically contains, but he gets dominated by the LT. Obviously the key here is Sly Williams getting blown 8 yards down field by the double team, and even gets his back turned around to the play. Johnson perhaps plays with the wrong leverage, but look at the gap to the inside - he has to account for that too, so he can't just run to the outside leverage.

- Falcons go with PA from the same personnel and attempt a deep shot. Really well played by Simmons, who splits both deep routes and Ryan checks it down. Harris perhaps got away with a bump of Julio way down field, but he's entitled to the space too so good no call in my opinion. Josey Jewell reads the PA all the way, stays 'clean' to get out and make the play  for a 4 yard loss

- 3rd and 8 we show blitz too early and Ryan sees it. It's a new one, in that we have Johnson, Simmons and Reed all over the top of the RT. As the textbook says, Ryan tries to throw into the blitz on the slant route to Julio but Simmons gets up and deflects the ball

- Not a great start for Risner below. He gets spun around by the outside move from Davison (DT), then Cushenberry just blocks nobody when he attempts to get to the 2nd level, and ends up on the floor as well

- That is some serious heat on the throw by Lock to Fant on the quick out. Big play for 35 yards, but Fant further hurts his ankle
- Yet another 'welcome to the NFL' moment for Cushenberry, as Grady Jarrett (#97) is so quick through the hole when Schlottmann pulls. That is elite DT play, right there. That is what you're taught - if your man pulls, shoot the gap straight away and with the angle of the pull. Jarrett is that quick, Albert O hasn't even made it past him by the time he's in the backfield. That is almost impossible to stop. It doesn't help that Schlottmann gets his *** kicked by Allen Bailey when he attempts to pull. 5 yard loss.
For those of you who read my notes, you will recognise this play as our 'go to play' from last week, but we ran it to our right and with Fant pulling

- Below is an incomplete pass that should have us all jacked for the future, and it's an incomplete pass - I love all 22 ... Now, Keanu Neal manages to stop 2 throws with his read from SS. First, he comes down and stops read #1 which is the slant to Hamler. Look at the separation from Hamler after the hesi'. That's a great route, a great drive by Neal, and a great no throw by Drew because that's going for 6 the other way if he throws it.
Then, look at Jeudy at the bottom. The DB is giving him a 10 yard cushion. Jeudy feigns a stop and go, but then pulls up his route and has 6 yards of separation. Unfortunately, Neal is right in that passing lane as well once he stops the throw to Hamler.
then, look at the best route at the top of the screen by Patrick. Again, this isn't on Drew for not finding this - Patrick is the #4 option I imagine on this play. It's just to see the route. It looks like an outside release go route, but when Patrick gets the DB turned around he cuts it back in field and the DB gets sent to the shops.
Albert O also commits assault on his route, but isn't called for it :D There is talent on this Offense. Drew HAS to stay in this pocket, though. It's really well blocked inside and he leaves way too early. 

- 3rd and 15 ain't happening in the NFL very often. We just dump it down and for some reason, don't attempt the FG (after calling a timeout). 

• Like 3

further 1st quarter notes

- 3rd and 4 on Falcons 2nd possession. Again, Falcons have done their research. 3rd and 4 against us means man coverage, and a Alex Johnson blitz. I bet we call that 80% of the time on 3rd and short. We actually only have 3 DL in the game, with both Johnson and Jewell blitzing.
The Falcons a typical man coverage beater to the left - Gage in the slot is in a 'stack' alignment. Gage is going to run a 5 yard out, coming underneath Julio's go route. In truth, Julio is never an option. They use Julio as a screen to stop Bassey coming over and making the play.
To stop this, Ojemudia should switch on to Gage as he has outside leverage. But that level of chemistry takes time, and both him and Bassey are rookies. Good play call, good execution. Not much of an effort by Julio to hide the screen ...

- 1st and 10, easy 7 yard out route to Julio. Harris giving him a solid 10 yard cushion, with a quick peddle backwards too
- Nice play by Jackson to come up on the WR screen. Falcons fake the jet sweep, and then PA to the RB to the right, and throw a screen to the left. Jackson reads the OL coming out and swoops under them to stop a big play
- On the subsequent 3rd and 1, it's an incredibly generous spot. I think Jackson and Jewell stuff the run at the LOS. Great contact on the full back by both, who carries for a 1st
- This is a really athletic play by DeShawn Williams from the backside of this play. It's a 4-3 'under' front by us. This is when the 3 technique (Jones, #93 for us) is aligned to the open side of the formation, i.e away from the TE. 
The Falcons run at the weakside of their formation. Jones, holds his ground on the Center/RG double team but isn't facing the play so he can't make a tackle. Williams initially does a poor job in letting the LT cross him, but he's able to make it all the way across to tackle the RB. I think the RB needs to be more explosive through the hole there, but well done Williams for hustling over. Jewell stays on his feet when the LG tries to cut him

- Awful play by Malik Reed the next play. You are the contain player - why are you diving inside with no LB presence behind to fill your gap? That's clearly not by design. It's such a shame, because look at the shove Williams gets on the Center. If Reed forces the run inside, Hill (the RB) has to bounce that all the way inside the Center, where all of our run support is

- Reed then loses contain on a WR reverse. Jackson reads it, stops it for a 4 yard gain (now 2nd and 11 after false start)
- It's then that really weird play where the entire OL didn't move ...... McTelvin will never get an easier pressure. Pretty sure it's his 1st snap. He's behind Jones, D Williams, S Williams and Walker in the DL rotation
- Giving up a big throw on 3rd and 11 is just sickening. It is hard to gauge really where the primary fault lies, because I am not sure on the Safety responsibilities. You can see from the get go we're bracketing Julio. Ojemudia underneath, Jackson over the top. The key here is Simmons. It looks like the crosser becomes his responsibility, hence why Bassey passes it on and he is there to pick it up. What this then does is leave Harris 1v1 on the outside, but it looks like he thinks he has help by the way he plants his feet near the 1st down marker.
If I was a betting man, I think Harris is at fault. Harris is in off man coverage and he isn't play within outside leverage, so that lead me to believe that Harris isn't expecting help over the top.
Perfect pocket climb by Ryan to buy enough time from the outside pressure from Reed. There's no inside push at all, and the Falcons interior OL walls off both Jones and Walker to create a really solid pocket to climb into

- I don't know how so many Bronco fans appear to be down on Jerry Jeudy. His change of direction speed is special, but it's the little details that players his age don't normally get. Watch the ever so slight hesitation on his release that moves him ever so slightly inside and thus gives him inside leverage. As soon as he has that on this, it's over. He then stacks the CB by running up field, then in an instant starts to break it across the field on the crosser and separates by 5 yards. You would use this in a tutorial on how to run a crosser off bootleg play action

- Now, below is a great throw and nice separation by Hamler. It looks like Hamler is expecting press, but when the DB fades back without any contact, Hamler delays his hesitation move by a yard or two to give himself more room. DB can't move his feet quick enough and Hamler wins inside. Perfect throw location and a nice catch. Plenty to be excited about there

• Like 2

Omg lomax, that Risner and Cush clip you showed is just so pitiful to watch. Risner looks like a little kid getting dominated and Cush is that kid that somehow got on the basketball rec-team but keeps getting doubledribble calls because he doesn't know how to process more than one thing at a time 😄

4 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

I'm hoping we make a change up front. It actually looked like Schlottmann held up decently at RG this past game. If/when Glasgow is back, i'm hoping we have him take over at Center. Cush just isn't ready this year. 

Which to be fair - isn't a knock on Cush's future outlook.  A Rd4 rookie being asked to start is a tall, tall order, unless it's RB, 0 tech or ILB.    My feelings are well-known that Risner was a Rd1 talent who fell to 40's because of the G devaluation with IOL.  Cush was someone I still have hope for, simply because he had areas to work on that on a good OL team, he'd be learning as a 2nd string guy.    But yeah, Year 1 thrown in the fire, it hasn't been pretty.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

some 2nd quarter notes

- We attempt a zone run to the left. Gordon not decisive with his cut, and Davison (DT) controls Cushenberry to stop the run for 2
- Love the end around to Hamler for 13. More of that, please
- 1st and 10 from ATL 25. Jeudy has to come up with a way to bring this down. It's man coverage on the outside, and Jeudy's route is perfect again. His initial inside release eventually gives space for the throw to the outside and it's some throw by Drew. He's got a man right in his face, but he delivers a perfect ball for Jeudy to come down with.
It's a nice rush concept by the Falcons. Their RE drops and Deion Jones (MLB) comes up the gut. That would be a hard protection to call presnap, so Risner is the one who has to react and try to chip the MLB, with Bolles replacing him on Jarrett. Lock is lucky he doesn't get whacked here

- This is where the progression has to come from Drew. We come out in 11 personnel, but it's empty with Lindsay aligned to the right. The Falcons DON'T replace Terrell (LCB) with a LB, so if they have a CB with our RB that means there is a favourable matchup elsewhere, almost always in the slot. Lock does a good job of seeing it's Hamilton who's uncovered, and that is Drew's first read. Unfortunately, it's a shallow curl route and there's nothing doing. Again, Lock does well to come off that and find his 2nd best matchup - Fant covered by Neal (SS).
But, in 1v1 coverage, Drew doesn't pull the trigger. 
Maybe the last throw lessened his confidence in that throw, but he has to give Fant a chance there. Neal isn't looking for the ball, so that is a great time to take another shot (to the back shoulder, ideally). You know the ball has to come out quick because you're in 5 man protect, i.e no RB for help. Bolles  gives up quick pressure, but it's an inside pressure so Drew can shuffle left. Instead, he scrambles right.

- 3rd and 10 is a great throw and great corner route by Patrick. It's clear DPI not called by the officials, as Terrell is way too early with contact on Patrick. Risner and Cush pass on the stunt well, with Risner pancaking Grady Jarrett.

- 1st and 10 is an incomplete pass by Ryan off PA. Julio runs the same route he ran for the TD on Ojemudia later on; it's a fake crosser that becomes an out route. from the slot. Bassey reads it so well, and beats Julio to the spot so Ryan can't make the throw
- D Harris just isn't driving on this quick 7 yard out routes at all. It's too easy
- 3rd and 3, we go zone. Good job by Zaccheaus to find a soft spot for a 5 yard completion. We drop Chubb and blitz Jewell, but unlike us, the Falcons pick up the blitz. Good job by the RG to see it. Ryan had it out too quick anyway
- Falcons picking on our zone coverage in the early downs. Julio sits in the soft spot over the middle for 12 easy yards. Johnson drove on the RB in error, vacating his zone
- Love that form tackle by Bassey for a TFL on the Nickel blitz. Like a rugby tackle. Just drives Gurley back, 3 yard loss
- I feel for Harris a tad, here. It's scramble drill so he has to know that his man can turn it up field. But that is a tough cover for that long. It's great from Ryan to extend the play, but our DL can't let him carry on the play that long. We try a E/T stunt, meaning D Williams (310lbs) is our edge contain. That fails, clearly

- 1st and 10 from 15. We bracket Julio with Simmons and Harris. With the Titans in 12 personnel (2 TEs), that means Jackson is in man coverage. With Simmons bracketing Julio, Jackson in man coverage, the middle of the field is totally vacated. 
Ryan throws to Gage in 1v1 coverage with Ojemudia, but it's tight coverage and the throw is incomplete. The throw should've gone to Hurst right over the middle, who was covered by Bassey. He had good coverage, but the size difference would've meant Bassey wouldn't have had a play on the ball without going through Hurst
- 3rd and 6 we bring the heat. Strange presnap from us. We have both Safeties in man coverage as the Falcons go empty (4 WR, 1 TE).I am stunned Ryan doesn't look for Julio against Jackson in the slot, but they score so .......
Because we don't have any deep middle players, everyone is playing with inside technique. But, Simmons overplays inside, especially given that he's got Jewell sitting underneath for the slant route. Powell gets way too much separation too easily, and Ryan has an easy out route for the score.
We blitz Johnson (shock horror on 3rd down) but the RG feels it and peels off the double team to stop him affecting Ryan. Alex Mack hand rips Jones to the floor. No pressure.

- 1st and 10 on our next possession. Listen - I dislike Melvin Gordon's contract as much as anyone. But this play is why Phil doesn't play that much on 1st down. He gets absolutely smoked by the blitzing LB and just like that, it's 2nd and 21. I don't even know what Phil is doing here. He doesn't get low, or try and cut the guy. He basically just puts his body in the way and hopes for the best. Phil doesn't slow the guy down at all, and Drew has no chance.
Tim Patrick was streaking down the field having smoked Terrell.

- 3rd and 15, nothing doing. Punt.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 1

Remaining 2nd quarter notes (IF YOU'RE GOING TO SKIM READ, MAKE SURE YOU WATCH THE LAST CLIP)

- I think I have seen an iteration of this play at least 10 times this year, with a player coming under the formation off PA to Malik Reed, and t his is the first time I have seen him play it properly. He might get away with a hold, but the intention is the key - he holds up the WR who's come under the formation, takes him out of the play, THEN goes to attack Ryan. He usually just goes upfield and ignores the underneath guy. Heads up play by Ryan to get a good play out of it

- Falcons starting to run it well on this drive. Walker gets sealed off, Sly Williams gets washing 5 yards from his gap by the double team and the RG does a great job to get Jewell at the 2nd level. Easy 8 yards
- Another excellent TFL by Bassey on the run blitz. 4 yard loss
- 3rd and 6 (Johnson and Jewell coming again) and we don't get anywhere near Ryan. I actually think this is a bad call on Harris. Jones falls down, and Harris does too, but it wasn't contact that made Jones go down. Harris actually plays this perfect, knowing he has help over the top. Just wish Harris had found a way to stay on his feet so it didn't look so clumsy

- Harris then whiffs on the quick WR screen. Julio just beast modes him. Easy 12 yards
- This is actually a really good rep by Agim, even though he gets pancaked. He shows some really violent hands at the snap to get a bit of penetration. It's this penetration that gives Josey Jewell the hole to blow up the run for a 2 yard loss. Agim just needs to torque his body around after making that move, so he doesn't expose the side of his shoulder (which is how he gets shoved to the ground)
It's a good rep across the board, as Sly Williams stands his ground, Chubb beats the LT and Johnson fits his run well

- Not sure if D Harris has been benched at this point, but Toliver is in. The results aren't any better. This is a very good route - it's a 15 yard out route, and the WR managed to eat enough of Toliver's cushion to turn him around; it's over by that point.
Toliver's hips are facing in field because he has help there, so he's trying to drive the WR in field. Literally the last thing he can give up is the out route; he has no help there, and he's not going to be able to turn his hips 180 degrees. Correct technique here would be to not bite inwards at the top of the route; if the WR runs in field, you have help there ...
Agim and Chubb win with their pass rush. They just needed a split second longer

- This is just A+ run defending by Jewell. He reads the pulling Guard and quickly wins the race to the B gap. He feels the downblock coming from Hurst, rides it into the gap then wack - stops Gurley. Todd probably should've bounced this, but I think he saw the good penetration from the Center and RG

- Nice QB hit for Mailk Reed on 3rd down. It's a designed inside move again, but this time he runs it with a better angle to keep Ryan contained and then hits him
- Good call by Fangio on 3rd down. We rush just the 4 DL this time. Simmons is playing the 'robber', so when Julio comes on the crosser he takes him off Toliver. Well played by Toliver to see this, and the pickup the crosser coming from the other side.
Sure, this is a bit of a coverage sack, but it's good work from Jones from the get go as he gets right into the LG (who holds him around the back of the helmet). Good strength to disengage and then to get the sack

- 2nd and 3 in our 2 minute drill - sometimes I question whether I know football or not because I just can't fathom decisions made by players/coaching staff. It's an obvious passing situation. You've got a replacement RG in the game. He's facing Grady Jarrett, maybe a top 3 DT in the NFL. WHY are you not sliding Cushenberry to help him against a 4 man rush??? Why is he helping Risner instead? 
Predictably, Jarrett destroys Schlottmann with a power club move. Lock doesn't stand a chance, as the pass rush is really well coordinated. When he  goes to step up, the other side of the line comes over the top to finish him off.

- Falcons call a nickel blitz on 3rd down, but Bolles picks it up and we get Hamler over the middle for a short gain and a 1st
- Brutal drop by Hamler over the middle on a slant route. Neal whacks him (could've been a personal foul), but Hamler has to make them catches. Small speed guys are going to get used across the middle, so you better get used to that route, kid
- 2nd and 10, 50 seconds left on our 45 and we run the ball ............................................ It's our signature run again - TE motions from right to left, Risner pulls from left to right. It's such a dumb call. Jones, the MLB, is in man coverage because it's a passing situation so he just reads Gordon the whole way and stops the run for no gain
- This might be Drew Lock's worst rep as a pro. I am not exaggerating. All of Drew's reads are to the same same of the field. LOOK AT JERRY JEUDY ON THE OUT ROUTE FROM THE SLOT. That's a 30 yard gimme. Drew thinks he's got pressure from Jarrett, but Melvin is there to help and they get Jarrett on the ground. IT IS THE CLEANEST POCKET YOU WILL EVER SEE.
Instead, Drew drifts left and throws it away. Just look at Jeudy's reaction. He is absolutely fuming and rightly so.
It's a classic case of pass rush getting in a QB's head.

I remember during the game I saw Drew's reaction to seeing the play on his tablet - look at his reaction below. Says it all really. He knows.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 3

So, the play where Grady gets inside is all on Cush. I've mentioned before when he's uncovered he's really bad. 

His job primarily is to protect either A gap. You've seen it thousands of times where a center drifts straight back, head on a swivel, able to help on either side. Schlottman closes off the B gap, knowing he's got help inside. Whoops, no he doesn't. Cush commits to the left side at the snap, his back to the entire right side and doesn't even see it coming.

He's just truly awful when uncovered without a direct assignment. He has no patience, won't let the play develop and stay at home, where he's supposed to be.

• Like 1

some 3rd quarter notes

- This is a staple Chiefs play that we've stolen here on 1st down. We should do so much more of this, especially on 1st down. You have a WR motioning from the strongside and we play action to that motion with the OL going with the motion as well. The RB comes underneath to the opposite side, as does the WR from the weakside (Jeudy) who comes on a crosser.
Because of the motion and play action, it prevents LBs getting their correct depth and the crosser is an easy throw. Tim Patrick is the key here; he has to run off the single high safety and the LCB to create room on the crosser. He does a great job of this. Easy throw and catch (poor of Jeudy to fumble, though)

- We run a similar formation the next play and this time run out of it. Definite hesitancy in the Falcons LB core, and we get good movement upfront. Cushenberry especially, who blows the DT out of the hole. It's an easy 4, should have been more but Rodgers (now in at RT) missed the 2nd level block
- 2nd down throw is that deep out to Jeudy where the CB mauls him for an easy PI call. It's a really good rep by Drew, who comes off the play action with good footwork, steps into a perfect throw that is about 30 downfield. Impressive velocity on it, and was right on target. Cushenberry gets beat by Jarrett, but he knows Schlottmann is there to pick any inside move
- Textbook 2nd level peel by Bolles, here. Jarrett beats Schlottmann again and nearly makes the play. Just watch how gets control of the block instantly, sees the play is going inside so he then sheds Schlottmann to go inside. You just have to appreciate elite players like Jarrett. He would turn our Defense from a good one into an excellent one.
Nice job by Fant on the trap block. This could've gone for more, but Neal takes a good angle on the tackle

- This is just a Grady Jarrett highlight reel now. He manages to go around Schlottmann, through Rodgers to force Lindsay to bounce his run to the otherside. The blocks aren't set up for a run to the left so it's an easy play for the DE on the left hand side
- 3rd and 4, Patrick does a great job of sitting down his route with Lock rolling out of the pocket. 1st down. A ton of PA bootlegs on this drive
- Below is an example of some of the plays you forget about Drew at times. It's a brilliant, brilliant throw. You can't throw it any better than this. It's right in the bread basket, and Patrick has to pull it in. The route is great too. Patrick separates and then stacks the CB so the CB can't get back in position. We just have to have those plays

- Rodgers already struggling in this game. He allows Cominsky (a 280lbs DT) get into his body and stuff the run play at the LOS
- Nice call by the Falcons on 3rd and 8 gives instant pressure. Play is dead from the start. The Falcons RE drops into coverage, and is replaced by a blitzing MLB on the opposite side of the formation. We don't pick it up at all, and Rodgers has no choice but to cut the LE free. Risner, Cushenberry and Bolles triple team a DT whilst we have an unblocked guy. FG.

- Look at the range of Justin Simmons on this pick. Pause the clip as Ryan is throwing and see where Simmons is. Effortless athleticism. Now, Ojemudia stumbles a bit, but the key here is how he plays his outside leverage correctly. He forces the route in field, which means Simmons can get over there any make the play. If he allows the WR to keep his width, Simmons can't get over. 
No initial pressure, but it's play action on 1st down vs max protect - not easy to get quick pressure. Well done to DeShawn Williams, who stays with the play, and forces Ryan to throw with a 300lbs man bearing down on him.

- Anticipation throws are when you know a QB is starting to get it. Below is a throw that shows Drew Lock just isn't there yet. I purposely pause the video when Drew should be throwing the ball to Jeudy. His initial footwork is great,  then the ball has to come out at the top of his hitch. Jeudy is in 1v1 coverage, nobody in the throwing lane and he is about to come wide open. The ball doesn't even have to be accurate because there is so much space. Just get the ball out, Drew.
The pressure comes when the LE beats Fant and Gordon, but that play is on Drew. Another excellent route by Jeudy. He's been excellent in this game thus far.

- (Jeudy then tries to get cute after the catch, turning what wouldve been 3rd and 4 into 3rd and 7)
- 3rd and 7 we get beat before the play has even started. We go to our favourite 3rd down alignment - trips to one side, TE inline to the other. The trips are at 3 different levels because we're expecting man coverage, and we're hoping the DBs get caught in traffic.
Unfortunately, it's zone coverage so the route concepts just don't work at all. Drew has no chance but to try and run for it, but the Falcons hustle to stop him. Punt.

- 1st and 10 Falcons from their 20. Nice run work against a double team on a zone run by Jones, which allows Johnson to mop it up for a 2 yard gain. Really good patience by Johnson to not just attack the traffic
- Below is excellent again from Johnson. The screen call is perfect, as Jewell (usually man coverage on the RB) is coming on the blitz. Falcons get blockers out in front, but Johnson stays on his feet from the cut block and stops what should have been a big, big play for just 8 yards. 1st down though

- Falcons go power run. Two double teams on the DTs (Agim, S Williams) and run Gurley right up the gut for 7 on 1st down. This is on Johnson. He has to read this play and shoot the gap between LG and LT

1.jpg

- The Kareem Jackson personal foul for the head hit is a KILLER. Turns a 3rd and 7 into a 1st down on our own 36
- Attaochu then does that ridiculous jump sack attempt, that goes from being 2nd and 20 to 1st down on a Ryan scramble. Ridiculous lack of sack composure. That's such an underrated aspect of Von's game - he doesn't get all giddy at the QB. He's relaxed and is able to complete the sack or force a fumble
- Agim getting a lot more snaps on this drive. He's doing ok. Facing a lot of double teams which must be tough for a rookie
- The Julio TD is just an awesome route. No CB in the league is covering that. It's a shame because Malik Reed has got quick pressure after being 1v1 with a TE. Julio is just so wide open that Matt Ryan can throw off balance with no issues

further 3rd quarter notes

- 1st and 10 for us, Nickel CB shows blitz too early. Hamler points it out to Drew, and Hamler is on a quick flare route ('hot' for the blitz). It's a bad throw by Lock (far too hide and wide), but Hamler should at least catch it. If the ball is on target, it's an easy 1st down if not more because the Safety who's covering Hamler is 15 yards away. So sloppy. We aren't a good enough team to turn down those easy plays
- 2nd and 10, again this sort of thing shows how far behind Drew is in trying to read a Defense. Drew's 1st read is Hamler on the go route, with Jeudy being #2 on the hook. Drew has to see the CB not turning with Hamler. He can't miss it. This means zone coverage, and he has a window over the CB and away from the Safety over the top. It has to be a quick read of the situation and the confidence to make the throw. He comes off both reads and runs for 5. Good pass pro across the board, including Philip Lindsay on the edge rusher

- Albert O gets hurt on the next play, which goes for a 1st. He does well to sit in the zone and understand his depth. Such a shame he got hurt
- Grady Jarrett highlight #100 ... Look how Jarrett sets Schlottmann up by moving to his right, then uses Schlottmann's momentum to just swat him out of the way. Drew doesn't have a chance with pressure that clean and that quick up the gut. Intentional grounding, so it's 3rd and 18. Punt.

- Punting and punt coverage has been much better this game. Good hang time, with very little returning and good net average punts

- Another run fill by Josey Jewell. Stops the run for 2 yards. Another good rep for Agim too. I like his strength at the POA. Deserves more snaps in early downs
- Another very good rep for Agim. Catches Mack (a top Center) over reaching, so he gets his arms over Mack's, gets back to his gap and forces the run to bump wider. It's a shame Jewell lost at the POA vs the pulling Guard so the run goes for 4

- Bassey gets away with one on 3rd down. It's a corner route to Gage from the slot and Bassey doesn't get his head around. Gage just flat out drops it in the end. If the throw was shorter, he'd have been called for DPI. We actually put Alex Johnson over Julio in the slot, with Jackson over the top. Johnson bumps Julio then blitzes and gets the hit on Ryan

- 1st and 10. Drew is just shook at this point. Hamler is his 1st read. Hamler is open. Take the easy 6 yards on 1st down. Instead, he just won't throw it

- Badddddddd cut by Phil here. It's a designed run to the left, as you expect out of shotgun when the RB is aligned to the right of the QB. Look how Cushenberry has sealed the MLB at the 2nd level. If Phil cuts left he's off to the races. But he cuts right and makes Cushenberry look bad, when that is on the RB no doubt

- Another good route concept on 3rd and6, as Hamler runs off the coverage and Jeudy slides into the flat and converts the 3rd and 6
- We then run the same 1st and 10 bootleg to Jeudy and it's another big result for 25 yards. Same commentary as before - PA gets the LBs to bite up, the outside WR runs off the Cover 3 LCB and Jeudy comes free. Nice touch by Drew to throw over the LB. More of this!

- 1st and 10 run goes for a yard when Gordon is forced to bump it outside when Schlottmann, who has pulled from RG, gives up his inside leverage upon contact with the DE

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

So I wonder if Lock's 4th quarter success is because of the other team playing prevent or better execution/playcalling? Or both?

Looks to me like it's mostly a function of our opponents having a 21 pt lead in the 4th quarter with our offense showing squat for the first 3 quarters.