What are you reading? V1

Forge

43 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Finished Riyria Chronicles.

My new favorite Duo. To those that havent read. Its kinda like if they paired Bronn of the Blackwater up with Jon Snow.

It's Locke and Jean except the author is actually committed to writing about them. ;) 

• Like 1

Anyone check out the Eagles of the Empire series by Simon Scarrow? Book 18 for the series is due out December. Seems it might be worth diving into.

13 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

It's Locke and Jean except the author is actually committed to writing about them. ;) 

Sullivan became my favorite writer yesterday after I read he doesnt start publishing a series until the entire series is complete... No doubt GRRM might have been finished ASOIAF by 2006 if he had that attitude and didnt allow everything in the world to block his way.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Anyone check out the Eagles of the Empire series by Simon Scarrow? Book 18 for the series is due out December. Seems it might be worth diving into.

Sullivan became my favorite writer yesterday after I read he doesnt start publishing a series until the entire series is complete... No doubt GRRM might have been finished ASOIAF by 2006 if he had that attitude and didnt allow everything in the world to block his way.

As much as I love huge series, 18 books just seems like too much time to devote. I'm only on book 4/10 for Malazan Book of the Fallen and starting to get fatigued. Granted, I'm also having to constantly stop reading and go to the Wiki to remind myself who these people are and what the background is.

7 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

As much as I love huge series, 18 books just seems like too much time to devote. I'm only on book 4/10 for Malazan Book of the Fallen and starting to get fatigued. Granted, I'm also having to constantly stop reading and go to the Wiki to remind myself who these people are and what the background is.

But from what I can tell at first glance. The 1st 2 Malazan are like 1500 pages, while it takes basically 5 books of Eagles of the Empire to reach that number. So its not nearly as daunting as the book total makes it sound.

Finished Ben Kanes Spartacus series. Hated how Crixus was written. The only sections I really enjoyed were that of Marcus Licinius Crassus. He was freakin awesome, wish the entire span of those years were from his view. Would have been a killer tale.

Someone recommended Tom Hollands books to me. Anyone read any? Persian Fire, Rubicon or any of them?

5 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Bought the first two compendiums of The Boys graphic novel. Also went old school and bought treasure island. Haven’t read that book in over 15+ years.

Treasure Island being written at about a 3rd grade level always confused the hell out of me when it's described as a classic.

I'm excited to get my shipment of The Boys graphic novels. I've heard a million differing reports about their quality in contrast to the show. 

28 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Treasure Island being written at about a 3rd grade level always confused the hell out of me when it's described as a classic.

I'm excited to get my shipment of The Boys graphic novels. I've heard a million differing reports about their quality in contrast to the show. 

The novels are completely different from the show. Actually enjoy the changes the show made, same with umbrella academy.

So I finished The Book of the New Sun this past week, and boy was it underwhelming. The series purports to have an unreliable narrator, but there's really no indication that he actually is until the third book (other than him mentioning once that he might be crazy).  It's really tropey, and some of the twists are really, really predictable.

Almost every female character either has sex with Sevarian, wants to have sex with Sevarian, or is old.  There are maybe two or three exceptions to this.

The course of the story, all four books, takes place over about three months, and too much stuff happens for that to make any sense.  It also ends in a deus ex machina, even openly referring to the fact that it's ending in one (as if acknowledging it makes it ok).

It's well written in that the author understands things like pacing and putting a sentence together, but the plot meanders all over the place until the deus ex machina, it's fairly predictable, and overall, just not that interesting.

Would not recommend.

On 5/22/2019 at 8:17 AM, MikeT14 said:

Got it on audible. I don't know if it's the guy's accent, or the author's writing style, but I am struggling to adapt so far. 

Just dove into the trilogy.  Near half through the first book and Im enjoying it so far. Much better than the Spartacus series by Ben Kane I wrapped up beforehand.

• Like 1

King Raven series ended pretty solid.

First 2 books the first half of each wasnt great. But both revved up massive. Third book flowed solid from front to back. Really enjoyed them. And they showcased how lethal the Longbow was. Was based off old tales of longbow use like an old battle in the 1400s where over 20k fully armored French soldiers/knights took on 6k poor starving British farmers with longbows. First minute of battle saw 72k arrows fly. Up to 12k French down and they rest fled quick. Only causalities the Brits had was the French killed a few unarmed civilians helping the British supply line as they ran away.

Liked how it wasnt just a Robin Hood character doing some magical shots or anything like that. It was more just the lethal brutality of the longbow to where they became like a character of the story as much as the DeLorean in Back to the Future.