Have the 49ers been hit by the injury bug the hardest in league history?

RaidersAreOne

49ers have had some bad luck with personnel.  I remember back in 2015 when Patrick Willis and Chris Borland retired in back-to-back weeks, along with Justin Smith and Anthony Davis.  And lost a bunch of talent to FA.

That said, this injury bug has been pretty bad this year for them.  Broncos have to be second though losing Von Miller, Courtland Sutton, AJ Bouye, Phil Lindsey, and Drew Lock now among others. 

The football team in Washington had 26 players end the season on IR in 2018.  That included the gruesome leg injury to Alex Smith, a broken leg for Colt McCoy, which forced us to sign Butt Fumble off the streets.  Brandon Scherff didn't play much of the season, as he tore his pec and went on IR.  The other starting guard, Shaun Lauvao, went on IR the same game, and like QB, we were signing guys off the street to start games because both of their backups also went on IR.  Starting WR Paul Richardson and TE Jordan Reed both ended the year on IR, and Derrius Guice tore his ACL in the first pre-season game.  

But I think the 49ers had the most players get affected in a game, by far.  That was crazy.  We will have to see how many players end up on IR at the end of the season.  At least the IR moves have less restrictions this year.  

No probably not. 1990 Week 12 Redskins at Eagles. The Redskins had 9 players leave the game with injury, including starting QB Jeff Rutledge and their backup Stan Humphries. Mark Rypien was the main starter, but had already been sidelined with injury earlier in the year. I can't imagine losing 9 players in a game. 

There have been other teams that had a boatload of injuries throughout the year that we're all probably just forgetting. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

No probably not. 1990 Week 12 Redskins at Eagles. The Redskins had 9 players leave the game with injury, including starting QB Jeff Rutledge and their backup Stan Humphries. Mark Rypien was the main starter, but had already been sidelined with injury earlier in the year. I can't imagine losing 9 players in a game. 

There have been other teams that had a boatload of injuries throughout the year that we're all probably just forgetting. 

Is that the game Brian Mitchell came in to play QB?

Just now, FrantikRam said:

This seems to be a recurring theme with the Niners - at some point, it's not bad luck - maybe it's the strength/conditioning or off-season training?

I said the same thing. The team has been fine acquiring players with injury risk... There shouldn't be surprised when those players then actually get hurt

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I said the same thing. The team has been fine acquiring players with injury risk... There shouldn't be surprised when those players then actually get hurt

Bosa is tragic though. I think you guys could have overcome the others, but IMO that'll be too much when we get into the rest of the division games

• Like 1