QB 2022 and beyond

RandyMossIsBoss

7 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Wentz was the worst QB in the nfl this year on his own merit. He did this to himself he isn't a scapegoat.

Okay let's forget about how Doug wont call consistent run plays when it's working (browns game is prime example) and Miles was averaging 5.7 ypc.. 

Offensive line has gone thru 13 combinations..Chemistry is big there

Who was our Receivers this year???

Reagor out with injuries for several games and no offseason to get chemistry with carson

Alshon out nearly the whole year and played like 2 games with Wentz

Fulgham/Hightower don't get opportunities to see the field

Desean played like 2 games 

Goedert missed 3-4 games

Ertz missed 3-4 games. 

Miles missed 2 games

Doug doesn't call plays that plays to Wentz's strengths such as rolling out of the pocket and making plays BUT HE SURE DID WITH JALEN. 

Howie drafts a QB with a prime pick 

All that going on and yall expect Wentz to put up MVP numbers. 

Edited by eagles18

1 minute ago, eagles18 said:

Okay let's forget about how Doug wont call consistent run plays when it's working (browns game is prime example) and Miles was averaging 5.7 ypc.. 

Reagor out with injuries for several games and no offseason to get chemistry with carson

Goedert missed 3-4 games

Ertz missed 3-4 games. 

Miles missed 2 games

Doug doesn't call plays that plays to Wentz's strengths such as rolling out of the pocket and making plays BUT HE SURE DID WITH JALEN. 

All that going on and yall expect Wentz to put up MVP numbers.. Clowns. 

Good QBs elevate what is around them. People use the example of Carson doing it just last year to end the season.

Carson was terrible this year and honestly has no excuse for his play. 

2 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Good QBs elevate what is around them. People use the example of Carson doing it just last year to end the season.

Name a QB who consistently elevates(d) practice squad players. 

15 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Do you think its fair that Carson had to deal with players like he did in 2020 and 2019 and be judged against players of similar talent such as Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson, and Josh Allen who have more talented supporting cast?

1 minute ago, ninjapirate said:

The eagles had a lot of drafted receivers he couldn't elevate this year.

They are the same receivers we laugh at. JJAW over DK and Reagor over Jefferson. Reagor has potential but with him being out for several games and had no offseason, its not fair to say Carson was given him to elevate. 

17 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

Do you think its fair that Carson had to deal with players like he did in 2020 and 2019 and be judged against players of similar talent such as Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson, and Josh Allen who have more talented supporting cast?

Deshaun Watson has bad coaching and talent around him issues and he has been really good this year.

Like if Carson had fallen off a little to like a mid-level qb production wise than that's one thing but he was the worst QB in the NFL with genuinely terrible habits that don't suggest he would be good with any situation around him.

2 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Deshaun Watson has bad coaching and talent around him issues and he has been really good this year.

Like if Carson had fallen off a little to like a mid-level qb production wise than that's one thing but he was the worst QB in the NFL with genuinely terrible habits that don't suggest he would be good with any situation around him.

I give Carson 50% blame mostly due to his shaken confidence and mechanics and 30% on supporting cast and 20% on coaching. 

Watson still had Fuller most of the year who i believe is a top 15 receiver when healthy. When he plays with or without Hopkins, he balls out. Coutee is a solid #2. Overall team is better. 

If Carson is serious about being a starter again, whether that be for the Eagles or another team, then I hope he gets with a QB coach not too long after the season and starts cleaning up his mechanics before minicamp and training camp.

Remember after his rookie year leading up to his big 2017 season he hired a QB coach?

Carson Wentz hires QB coach to fix mechanics

Published: Jan 25, 2017 at 09:52 AM

Headshot_Author_Chris_Wesseling_1400x1000

Chris Wesseling

Around the NFL Writer

Carson Wentz has hired a quarterbacks coach to improve his lapsed mechanics.

The Philadelphia Eagles' second-year signal-caller will work with 3DQB's Adam Dedeaux this offseason, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Wednesday.

This is a positive -- and fully expected -- sign for Wentz's future. After roaring out to a 3-0 start with a 5:0 TD-to-INT ratio and 103.8 passer rating in September, the draft's No. 2 overall pick was one of the league's least effective passers over the final three months of the season.

With his offensive line in flux and his running game vanishing for stretches, Wentz fell into bad habits, flashing a long-armed looping windup in which the ball often dropped to his waist level.

"Strictly mechanics," coach Doug Pederson said of Wentz's struggles in early December. "... Young quarterback, missed quite a bit of time in the preseason, but now we have to keep cleaning this thing up."

It's important that Wentz is diligent about his throwing motion, learning from Blake Bortles' precipitous 2016 decline.

Dedeaux, the grandson of legendary USC baseball coach Rod Dedeaux, worked with and for sports biomechanics guru Tom House for 10 years. Those two have trained many veteran quarterbacks, including Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Andy Dalton and Tim Tebow.

Dedeaux and House point to Bortles, though, as the quarterback who improved the most -- from a clueless 2014 rookie to the 2015 breakout quarterback who shattered several franchise records.

It's no coincidence that Bortles regressed in 2016 after neglecting his mechanics in the offseason.

Dedeaux and House often fly into NFL cities to provide tune-ups during the season. House believes quarterbacks typically lose 1 percent of their mechanical efficiency in every game, per The MMQB's Albert Breer. When they fall into bad habits -- as Bortles and Wentz did last season -- that number rises.

Fixing flawed mechanics is an incremental process heavy on deliberate repetition. That's why the legwork must be accomplished during the long offseason, with occasional upkeep and tinkering to remain fundamentally sound once the season starts.

Wentz has all of the physical tools and mental makeup to succeed in the NFL. Once he irons out his mechanics, he'll begin to emerge as a franchise-caliber quarterback.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

How much can we blame play calling anymore? Doesn't Wentz have complete control at the line of scrimmage? Doug looks like a good play caller with any QB other than Wentz. Maybe the reports of Wentz not wanting to run Doug's offense are true and this mess is what we are left with? All signs seem to be pointing more to Wentz by the day. 

11 minutes ago, EAGLES3658 said:

How much can we blame play calling anymore? Doesn't Wentz have complete control at the line of scrimmage? Doug looks like a good play caller with any QB other than Wentz. Maybe the reports of Wentz not wanting to run Doug's offense are true and this mess is what we are left with? All signs seem to be pointing more to Wentz by the day. 

I think Wentz can't change the formation, but is allowed to audible to any play within the formation Doug wants? I might be wrong.

23 hours ago, eagles18 said:

I give Carson 50% blame mostly due to his shaken confidence and mechanics and 30% on supporting cast and 20% on coaching. 

Watson still had Fuller most of the year who i believe is a top 15 receiver when healthy. When he plays with or without Hopkins, he balls out. Coutee is a solid #2. Overall team is better. 

1 Hopkins
2 Davante
3 Julio
4 Ridley
5 DK
6 AJ Brown
7 McLaurin
8 Tyreek
9 Diggs
10 Theilan
11 Justin Jefferson
12 Keenan 
13 Amari
14 Allen Robinson
15 Mike Evans
16 Chris Godwin
17 Aiyuk
18 Devante Parker
19 Ceedee Lamb
20 DJ Moore

I would take all of them easily over Fuller
I think Fuller is in the 21-25 range with Tyler Boyd, JuJu, Robby Anderson, and DJ Chark. He's basically a taller D Jax, but with a better QB than D jax ever had. I'd also take Jeudy and probably Higgins over Fuller if I needed a #1 WR. Courtland Sutton and Gollday easily over him too. Fuller is a good player, and he was putting up some nice stats thanks to the juice, but he's not a top 15 wr.

Edited by Jeezla

On 12/20/2020 at 3:20 PM, eagles18 said:

Goedert missed 3-4 games

Ertz missed 3-4 games. 

Miles missed 2 games

All that going on and yall expect Wentz to put up MVP numbers. 

I feel like it is just you and I on the Wentz wagon still #letthebroncobuck

• Like 1

On 12/20/2020 at 4:06 PM, eagles18 said:

I agree that coaching is part of the issue with Carson, but he’s mostly responsible and blaming the supporting cast is a cop out, they aren’t good, but we’ve seen countless QBs get stuff out of no namers including McNabb and he never got the amount of leash Wentz has with this fan base.

Everything about his game looks awful right now. He has a Tim Tebow looking windup, atrocious footwork, zero anticipation and zero pocket presence. 

It’s one thing to go through a slump but his combination of deteriorating play and complete disregard for the football cost this team immeasurably this season.