Most frustrating things in football

Hunter2_1

Which of these frustrates you the most?   

82 members have voted

1. 1. These are ALL frustrating, but pick one or two that REALLY get you...

• Allowing a QB to scramble for a first down (usually because your coverage is so good)
    • Flags after a making a big play, bringing the play back
    • A missed XP/FG
    • Fumbles
    • Your pass rushers kill the OL, and have the QB dead-to-rights, but he just won't go down (Manning 2007 SB)
    • Defensive pass interference calls
    • Defense stops the offense on third down, but a flag gives them the first
    • Giving up third and long
    • Allowing a kick or punt return TD
    • Conservative play calling

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2017 at 9:52 PM, tribar said:

Teams/players (mainly Rodgers/Packers and to a lesser extent Brady/Patriots) getting all the favorable calls. 

Fans who are oblivious to or deny or make excuses for the above. 

What sort of calls? I assume 'roughing the passer'?

Brady gets that call 0.14 times per game.

Tannehill: 0.26

Cutler: 0.26

Palmer: 0.30

Rodgers: 0.19

Newton: 0.23

Stafford: 0.17

Brees: 0.19

Official stats: http://www.nflpenalties.com/roughing-the-passer-by-qb.php

So, you got any counter-proof, or is just people that make good arguments that frustrate you? ;) 

In order from least to most

Conservative play calling 

Allowing a QB to scramble for a first down (usually because your coverage is so good)

Your pass rushers kill the OL, and have the QB dead-to-rights, but he just won't go down (Manning 2007 SB)

Giving up third and long

Defense stops the offense on third down, but a flag gives them the first

DPI

Flags after a making a big play, bringing the play back

Fumbles

A missed XP/FG

Allowing a kick or punt return TD

As you can tell, I lump these frustrations in different tiers. I tolerate the opposing teams simply making a good play more than penalties, turnovers and things that affect points.

@Hunter2_1: You should have included interceptions due to bad decision making and ticky-tack holding calls. I also can't stand it when a mediocre quarterback torches you and then goes back to normal the following week.

14 hours ago, malak1 said:

Injuries 

I would say injuries go beyond frustrating and just become depressing. If your QB goes down for the year your season is over. The Cheifs, Patriots, Steelers, and Eagles are all very likely to be competing for the SB this year but one torn ACL to their QB and the team may as well be the browns. It's the one aspect of football that makes it so hard to watch.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'm going to go off the list and say: injuries.  Teams work so hard at assembling a roster and then training them, often only having their season derailed by injuries to key players.  Injuries are the worst thing about the game.

I know. It's gotten to the point where the healthiest teams are the ones in the superbowl. Think of most of the previous winners/representitives

Pats and Falcons - both as healthy as they've ever been (whereas Pittsburgh were dinged up)

Broncos and Panthers - healthy (Pats massacred with injuries)

Pats and Seahawks - healthy, minus Gronk

etc

The most obnoxious thing about football is how Roger Goodell decided to destroy defense under the disguise of "player safety" because he thinks that fans watch football for all the points scored.  It's an idiot moron stupid mentality that's abundantly not true.  Soccer is the biggest sport in the world and the NFL averages 40 more points and like 6 more scores a game than any soccer game.

Interceptions are down.  Sacks are down.  Points are up.  QB statistics are up, forever eliminating any ability to REMOTELY compare quarterbacks between eras. 

It's absolute horse****.  A tiny hands to the face on 4th and 79 gives you a 1st and 10.  Egregious holding by the offense lets you retry the down and lose ten yards. 

I chose the inability to bring the QB down, even as a neutral viewer as in pretty much all of those instances there are absolutely blatant holds, blocks in the backs and whatnot that the referees flat out ignores. 

Case in point the Manning-Tyreee connection with three different blockers flat out having their opponents in a reverse bear hug.

giphy.gif

Archived