2020 NBA Offseason Thread

11sanchez11

3 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

I think we're definitely in a better spot now, but to no fault of Jrue and AD. To the fault of Dell Demps/injuries, probably like a 70/30 split. Got good hauls for both, got Zion on our own luck, Griffin/SVG running things, definitely excited about the future. Though it is a taste of what could've been, Boogie stays healthy and we have AD/Jrue/Boogie right as the fall of the Warriors is occurring. We'll never know what coduld've happened.

And yeah we'd definitely be rooting for Jrue in that scenario lol, even if AD had not won the ring already. 

If AD didn't ask out and just bided his time till he could leave in FA you guys would've been left with nothing or if you guys decided to look for suitors in the offseason or before this past years trade deadline you most likely end up with a worse package from a team that didn't have certainty that he would re-up. Boston wasn't giving you guys Tatum. He certainly helped you, even if he was looking out for his own interest.

7 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I'm fine with that last point. That's fair. No GMs moves can be judged on paper. We haven't proven **** with this new look roster. For all we know Gasol and Matthews could be cooked come playhoff time. Harrell won't be able to be on the court for much time again possibly. Etc.

Not all their signings have been Klutch though and not every GM could build trust between Paul and the organization. Not every GM has Pelinka's people skills.

Anyways, our draft track record is on par with just about any franchise in the NBA. I don't know how much credit Pelinka gets for that since its Jim Buss and the scouting department probably more so than him, but he's still the GM and has final say.

Pointing to his people skills is a fair point. Obviously building the right culture is key and Rob P has a hand in that. And I agree that the Lakers draft record later in the draft (their top lottery picks can be debated etc) is one of the better in the league. 

I just don't think any of the moves have been particularly shrewd front office maneuvering. Even Dwight being an impact player was kind of dumb luck considering they had him try out for a week or whatever and he was their third option after Cousins went down. I think this offseason has been very good. But let's see it. They are operating from a position of power and leverage. You get vet guys on the minimum in LA after winning a title

When I say klutch ... their success is because LeBron and AD planned to play together in LA. We saw what the Lakers FO was all about otherwise. But I will admit that they had a good offseason. I just don't know how much we need to credit Rob P for the success. 

Edited by champ11
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Pointing to his people skills is a fair point. Obviously building the right culture is key and Rob P has a hand in that. And I agree that the Lakers draft record later in the draft (their top lottery picks can be debated etc) is one of the better in the league. 

Yeah, I mean our late 1st/2nd round draft record is probably the best in the league and yes I know the Nuggets have the best 2nd round pick of all time lol.

Even the early picks we made I don't think we missed on any of them. Obviously in hindsight Tatum was a better pick than Ball. You can do that with any team though.

7 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I just don't think any of the moves have been particularly shrewd front office maneuvering. Even Dwight being an impact player was kind of dumb luck considering they had him try out for a week or whatever and he was their thaird option after Cousins went down. I think this offseason has been very good. But let's see it. They are operating from a position of power and leverage. You get vet guys on the minimum in LA after winning a title.

I think some of them have been shrewd moves. Obviously not the LeBron or AD ones, but I do think he should get credit for getting him to take a 5 year deal. I never thought that was gonna happen. He could've maximized his $$$ more if he wanted to by taking shorter 1+1 or 2+1 deals. I won't go into detail about all the moves, because like you said they aren't proven.

As far as the Dwight signing and others last offseason. They all worked out pretty well for moves that were laughed at. Lakers didn't have a lot to choose from after waiting for Kawhi days into FA, but that was their fault for hunting another star. They've been burned before doing that exact thing.

But, you are right if we weren't champions, then Markieff probably goes to the Clippers to play with his brother for more money. Gasol maybe stays in Toronto. Etc.

13 minutes ago, champ11 said:

When I say klutch ... their success is because LeBron and AD planned to play together in LA. We saw what the Lakers FO was all about otherwise. But I will admit that they had a good offseason. I just don't know how much we need to credit Rob P for the success. 

I think he definitely deserves some of the credit for targeting certain kinds of players and his plan of attack matching well with what Vogel wants to do.

Obviously he doesn't get a ton of credit for the Klutch stuff, but like I said Rob has great people skills and he values the players and speaks to them in ways that resonates with them. It's why he was probably Kobe's closest friend and why their relationship went well beyond contracts and technical stuff.

Kimmel: Do you take any role in encouraging guys like LeBron, Lakers free agents, to come to Los Angeles, other than maybe a tweet or something like that?

Bryant: “No, I stay away from it. I’m real close with Rob obviously, and we’ll talk often, just as a sounding board for him.”

Would you be allowed to do that? Or would Rob get fined if you were to do something like that?

“No, I could do that.”

So you could be his surrogate and reach out to (players)?

“I could, but I won’t.”

Why won’t you?

“I stay away from that stuff. And Rob is more than capable of handling the job and all the pressure that comes along with that.”

He also was highly criticized last offseason, even by Magic on his way out. He's done a lot in a short period of time, but I get your perspective for sure.

And, to be fair a lot of Lakers fans were critical/skeptical about his hire at first too.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

If AD didn't ask out and just bided his time till he could leave in FA you guys would've been left with nothing or if you guys decided to look for suitors in the offseason or before this past years trade deadline you most likely end up with a worse package from a team that didn't have certainty that he would re-up. Boston wasn't giving you guys Tatum. He certainly helped you, even if he was looking out for his own interest.

Yeah I worded that poorly, I'm saying we're in a better spot now than we were with AD/Jrue but that it wasn't AD/Jrue's fault we were bad or anything, mainly Dell Demps with a side of injuries. 

I'm glad he requested a trade rather than just walked, but over all of that it would've been preferred to just have him stay obviously. Zion/AD would be a perfect fit too, AD can stretch the floor and then back up Zion's deficiencies on defense while Zion could play the bully ball AD really doesn't, and they'd be devastating as hell together in transition (though AD already has that with LeBron too).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

Yeah I worded that poorly, I'm saying we're in a better spot now than we were with AD/Jrue but that it wasn't AD/Jrue's fault we were bad or anything, mainly Dell Demps with a side of injuries.

Oh well in that case I agree completely. I’m pretty high on your guys future. I like SVG, the trades and most of the moves (loved the Kira pick) you’ve made since with reservations on Adams trade/extension/fit. Just need to see what identity you guys take on and how everything gels on the court. I think you guys should’ve signed Ingram a year earlier, but I don’t know if he just decided to bet on himself. I’m fine with you guys waiting on Lonzo though.

8 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

I'm glad he requested a trade rather than just walked, but over all of that it would've been preferred to just have him stay obviously. Zion/AD would be a perfect fit too, AD can stretch the floor and then back up Zion's deficiencies on defense while Zion could play the bully ball AD really doesn't, and they'd be devastating as hell together in transition (though AD already has that with LeBron too).

Oh.... the help defense with Zion and AD would be absolutely absurd! Would love the fit with Zion at center rather than PF. That’s why I wasn’t a big fan of the Adams signing. Zion could do the banging down low with bigs with his size and let AD guard quicker bigs and like you said he spaces the floor so much for Zion. I think AD just didn’t want to wait and obviously there was no way he could know you guys would win the lottery and land Zion. If he did know he probably would’ve been more inclined to stay.

2 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Favors is kinda washed now. He's okay and maybe he'll do better with you guys than he did the Pelicans, because he'll mainly be at PF.

But, yeah I like what the Jazz have done for the most part recently. Glad to see Clarkson perform well for you guys who needed bench help and end up getting a good pay day.

Favors is still only 29 and didn't fit well with the Pelicans. 

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Don't think that's what that means. It makes sense to decline the option. He can still re-up on a long max with L.A.

I'd be pretty shocked if he does leave like I said before.

Kawhi is where he wants to be. Maybe he wishes he came to the Lakers instead, but that's water under the bridge at this point.

5 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Favors' 29 is different than some other guys, but true.

PER36 his last season in Utah he averaged 18 and 7. We don't need him to be an All-Star just a good backup C when Rudy is off the floor and play the 4 when we have to go big, he provides both of those things. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

It wasn’t just a fit issue. Guy looked like the Monstars came down and stole all his athleticism. He looked like a complete slug.

Well we will see how he looks this year, again we only really need him in a reserve role, so I'm happy to have him back.

Edited by NYRaider

18 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Don't think that's what that means. It makes sense to decline the option. He can still re-up on a long max with L.A.

I'd be pretty shocked if he does leave like I said before.

Kawhi is where he wants to be. Maybe he wishes he came to the Lakers instead, but that's water under the bridge at this point.

Agreed.  He's there for the foreseeable future.