2020 NBA Offseason Thread

11sanchez11

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:
47 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

The whole post. We are barely worse defensively if we even are and we are MUCH better offensively.

Isn't that more or less what @seminoles1 said???

Not really. He posted the same thing in the Lakers thread right before this one, but with different wording.

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

Team is different, but looks really solid. Will be worse defensively for sure, but a good bit more firepower.

Should be the favorites as of now.

"Really solid" and "favorite as of now" aren't accurate ways to describe this Lakers team.

"Worse defensively for sure" and "a good bit more (offensive) firepower" is wrong.

Like I said in the post you quoted they aren't worse defensively for sure. That makes it sound like they took a definite step down. It's arguable if they are even worse.

And, they didn't get "a good bit better offensively".... they got A LOT better.

This Lakers team is scary. I'm not sure I would classify last years Lakers team as that. Clippers were definitely considered the favorites going into the playoffs.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:
22 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Isn't that more or less what @seminoles1 said???

I was thinking the same thing.

Again... he didn't.

This Lakers team is loaded.

Even at 36 years old this season and not the quite the same player as a few years ago I think this Lakers team could have beat or at least made a 7 game series against those Warriors teams which went 8-1 against LeBron's Cavs in the Finals which is crazy as those teams were some of the best teams of all time.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

3 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Again... he didn't.

This Lakers team is loaded.

Even at 36 years old this season and not the quite the same player as a few years ago I think this Lakers team could have beat or at least made a 7 game series against thoseWarriors teams which went 8-1 against LeBron's Cavs in the Finals which is saying a lot as those teams were some of the best teams of all time in NBA history.

You're just playing semantics. Adding Harrell hurts the defense. Losing Howard and Green hurts the defense. Swapping Dennis for Rondo hurts the defense. Adding Matthews and Gasol helps the defense. It's not inaccurate to say the defense probably got worse. Offensively they are clearly better. Seminoles basically said all of this in less words.

Edited by Bullet Club
  • Like 2

One concern I have though is we are so deep that there are a lot of players on this Lakers team that would get a lot more playing time if they were on pretty much any other team and guys are gonna need to have their egos checked at the door, because some nights based on match-ups they might not play very much or at all depending on the player.

draymond green was the 4th best player on the warriors lol, klay 3rd

dennis shcroder (who has been a good player 1 year his whole career) and idk maybe harrell? (who was astronomically terrible literally the last time he played) are the 3rd and 4th best players on the lakers

there is a huge difference lol

the lakers had to beat jimmy butler and tyler herro in the finals lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bullet Club said:

You're just playing semantics. Adding Harrell hurts the defense. Losing Howard and Green hurts the defense. Adding Matthews and Gasol helps the defense. It's not inaccurate to say the defense probably got worse. Offensively they are clearly better. Seminoles basically said all of this in less words.

Uhhhh no he didn't and I'd argue against some of what you just said too.

Harrell won't be as big of a liability defensively for the Lakers as he was for the Clippers. Green wasn't that good defensively.... dude is slow now. His off-ball defense was still solid, cause he's a smart player, but on ball could be ugly. Rondo again wasn't as good on ball as Schroder can be. He did fine things off-ball again cause he's smart. Howard isn't the same defensive player that he was and he didn't even play that much in the playoffs a lot of the time with the exception of the Nuggets series. Gasol provides a lot of what Howard does. Same with Matthews and Green.

You'll see what I'm talking about once this season plays out though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Uhhhh no he didn't and I'd argue against some of what you just said too.

Harrell won't be as big of a liability defensively for the Lakers as he was for the Clippers. Green wasn't that good defensively.... dude is slow now. His off-ball defense was still solid, cause he's a smart player, but on ball could be ugly. Rondo again wasn't as good on ball as Schroder can be. He did fine things off-ball again cause he's smart. Howard isn't the same defensive player that he was and he didn't even play that much in the playoffs a lot of the time with the exception of the Nuggets series. Gasol provides a lot of what Howard does. Same with Matthews and Green.

You'll see what I'm talking about once this season plays out though.

I was rooting for the Lakers all year last season and have no idea how you could hold most of these opinions. While I agree Harrell is going to be less of a liability next to Gasol/AD I don't think anything else you said is right. Green played great defense in the postseason, no idea how you could argue otherwise. Rondo is clearly a better on-ball defender than Schroder come postseason time. Just because D12 wasn't prime D12 doesn't mean he wasn't fantastic defensively last season. He was closer to his defensive peak than Gasol will be to his.

1 minute ago, Bullet Club said:

I was rooting for the Lakers all year last season and have no idea how you could hold most of these opinions. While I agree Harrell is going to be less of a liability next to Gasol/AD I don't think anything else you said is right. Green played great defense in the postseason, no idea how you could argue otherwise. Rondo is clearly a better on-ball defender than Schroder come postseason time. Just because D12 wasn't prime D12 doesn't mean he wasn't fantastic defensively last season. He was closer to his defensive peak than Gasol will be to his.

Whatever you say bro

6 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

homers gonna homer

This has been my thoughts reading the post.  I think @seminoles1 gave us the cliff notes version of what he is trying to say but he still somehow thinks Seminoles was taking a shot at his team.  LOL at the you "you said my team was good but you didnt say they were good enough" argument.  This isnt an all time great team talent wise.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

This has been my thoughts reading the post.  I think @seminoles1 gave us the cliff notes version of what he is trying to say but he still somehow thinks Seminoles was taking a shot at his team.  LOL at the you "you said my team was good but you didnt say they were good enough" argument.  This isnt an all time great team talent wise.  

No. I don't think he was taking a shot at the Lakers at all. I just think his way of describing the team is off.