2021 NFL Draft Thread

On 12/21/2020 at 10:49 AM, Thaiphoon said:

I think we're far afield from the original intent of the thread, so I'll drop it after this.

You don't have to get rid of the bowls at all. In FCS, the Celebration Bowl happens regardless if one of the HBCUs goes to the FCS playoffs or not. Same with the bowls. They can still happen and the conferences can still get paid.

Scheduling one extra game is doable. Scheduling 20-30 games is much harder.

And again, you don't think Cincy would like a shot this year?

Absolutely they would! As would Iowa State (Big XII champion), Oklahoma (3rd at-large team), UAB (Conference USA champion), Ball State (MAC champion), San Jose State (Mountain West champion), Oregon (Pac-12 champion), Texas A&M (2nd at-large team), Florida (4th at large team), Georgia (5th at large team), Indiana (6th at large team), and Coastal Carolina (Sun Belt champion).

The question isn't whether the individual teams want to get into the playoffs; it's whether the conferences want to do that.

Let's work this out:

1 Alabama (H) -----+
                    |-------+
16 UAB -------------+       |
                            |-------+
 8 Cincinnati (H) --+       |       |
                    |-------+       |
 9 Georgia ---------+               |
                                    |-------+
 5 Texas A&M (H) ---+               |       |
                    |-------+       |       |
12 Coastal Carolina +       |       |       |
                            |-------+       |
 4 Notre Dame (H) --+       |               |
                    |-------+               |
13 San Jose St -----+                       |
                                            |--------------
 6 Oklahoma (H) ----+                       |
                    |-------+               |
11 Indiana ---------+       |               |
                            |-------+       |
 3 Ohio State (H) --+       |       |       |
                    |-------+       |       |
14 Oregon ----------+               |       |
                                    |-------+
 7 Florida (H) -----+               |
                    |-------+       |
10 Iowa State ------+       |       |
                            |-------+
 2 Clemson (H) -----+       |
                    |-------+
15 Ball State ------+

There are some interesting games in there! Except now you have removed seven of the eight teams from Cotton Bowl (Florida-Oklahoma), Peach Bowl (Georgia-Cincinnati), Fiesta Bowl (Oregon-Iowa State), and Orange Bowl (Texas A&M). Those are arguably more interesting games there for one offs, but that isn't what we're considering here since the playoffs are more interesting.

So, now you have 11 Indiana, 14 Northwestern, 15 Iowa, 16 BYU, 17 USC, 18 Miami, and 20 Texas in those bowls alongside 13 North Carolina. #19 Louisiana is skipped over because "they aren't a draw." While not as sexy as the actual games, you could probably make some decent matchups.

You then take those teams out of their bowls, and continue until you find the bowls at the bottom have no eligible teams and fold up shop. No big loss there from a game perspective, but the revenue for those four bowls evaporates.

Now, repeat that again next year. Maybe they'll add some bowls (like I said previously, two more are supposedly coming online next year) or maybe not. More likely, you'll bleed a few more bowls. Now, the G5 conferences will do what the need to do to maintain the games for their runner's up, but will there be enough interest for two or three teams from the Conference USA? Likewise, if you are the 5th or 6th best team in a Power 5 conference, do you really want to play that extra bowl game? It now matters even less so than before. For awhile, the answer will probably be yes due to tradition, but the sponsors are going to start to pull out because the advertising isn't going to be as cost effective.

More teams that Boise St. showing up is what I'm referring to. One team here and there is not going to push the needle too much. G5 teams knocking off P5 teams in the playoffs will.

I would argue that one G5 team here or there winning an upset won't move the needle to much to help the G5. It will help that program, but it do little to help that conference as a whole.

Well, for one. Recruits want to go where they will be on a bigger stage but also where they can start quicker in order to showcase talent. It's why you see 3 and 4 star recruits forego FBS for FCS schools (starting sooner and playing for championship).

This will benefit a handful of those schools that regularly make the playoffs ... and the Power 5 conferences.

My point is that as G5 teams make more noise in the playoffs and show that they belong, they will grab better recruits. Which affects the talent level at the P5 (fewer top recruits at the P5 as the talent pool expands outward). Right now, the best a recruit for a G5 school can be given is "maybe we might play in the Charmin Toilet Bowl and people will watch it at 2am in late December". If I'm the recruit, I'd rather have that option PLUS the option to play for a Natty AND more likely to start right away.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

Virginia is ranked #49. That's good for 9th in the ACC.

The only G5 team ranked above Virginia is Cincinnati at #41.

A team like Virginia is much closer to a Charmin Toilet Bowl game (or no bowl at all) than the playoffs. By a country mile.

Boise State, a school with consistent success, ranks 65th. That's behind both Boston College (#62, 12th ACC) and Duke (#63, 13th ACC).

Maybe a playoff might encourage more player movement to the top G5 teams, but that's it. And those top teams will then try to move into the Power 5 conferences to have better recruiting and chance of making the playoffs.

BTW - I'm not talking short term just 6-7 years down the road, I'm looking 10-20 years later where the stranglehold at the top gets eliminated. And in my vision, that is why the very top teams don't want this to happen. It's all a cartel designed to maintain their hegemony over D1. And anything that threatens it, they need to squash.

Oh I agree that the time horizon is 10-20 years. I just think it will make the rich richer instead of raising the poor up. As a former colleague who was a graduate of NC A&T pointed out, they won their conference four years straight in basketball and all that gained them was a #16 seed and a first round exit every year. Didn't matter that they showed consistent play, they were small.

Look at the basketball. Gonzaga is a top ranked team, having fought repeatedly and gone far. The rest of WCC? Still not considered beyond Mount St. Mary's.

• Like 1

@Woz The things you come up with sometimes in posts are amazing. I hope they keep expanding the playoffs in FBS. I don’t know if they’ll ever get to what they do in FCS but, if they can slowly add 2 team every few years, that makes sense to me just to try it. They can always play less regular season games - a few games each year are meaningless cupcakes anyway - just get rid of them. Make it at 10 game regular season then, into the playoffs. 

Just saw an article on ESPN comparing Lance to Josh Allen. Can’t link it because it’s an insider article but this has been my comp for him from the beginning. I love his talent and I think he’s going to be so good at the next level but he needs time to sit and learn. I hope we end up picking him but then again I don’t because when he struggles in the beginning this fanbase is going to destroy him. 

20 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Just saw an article on ESPN comparing Lance to Josh Allen. Can’t link it because it’s an insider article but this has been my comp for him from the beginning. I love his talent and I think he’s going to be so good at the next level but he needs time to sit and learn. I hope we end up picking him but then again I don’t because when he struggles in the beginning this fanbase is going to destroy him. 

That’d be awesome. You were definitely right about Allen when E & I questioned if he’d ever become more accurate. I think Buffalo rebuilt his throwing motion or he did with a QB coach. I’m warming up to Lance. I just hate our track record on not developing young QBs over the last 3 decades.

Edited by turtle28

Trying to watch some Darrisaw, and pretty impressed with Khalil Herbert in the process, but I’m back with another question for my Hokie friends. Am I seeing correctly that they are using TE James Mitchell to return punts?? 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that. It’s...pretty impressive. He made a nice catch and run as well, really fluid athlete. 

EDIT: And now a one handed catch. Don’t know if he needed to do it that way, but it was still a nice snag. 

Edited by e16bball

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

Trying to watch some Darrisaw, and pretty impressed with Khalil Herbert in the process, but I’m back with another question for my Hokie friends. Am I seeing correctly that they are using TE James Mitchell to return punts?? 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that. It’s...pretty impressive. He made a nice catch and run as well, really fluid athlete. 

EDIT: And now a one handed catch. Don’t know if he needed to do it that way, but it was still a nice snag. 

James Mitchell is extremely good. The scheme and the QB play has hurt his output but someone will get a steal with him. Bermeister pretty much can’t throw the ball and this was just an very weird year for Hooker so I wasn’t shocked to see him transfer. QP transferring sucked too. Sigh, Fuente. 

Man I’ve mentioned Herbert in here like 4 times. I need y’all to start watching him lol. You should watch a little of Divine Deablo as well. He’s a beast. Reminds me of Chancellor. 

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We don’t run a 3-4 anymore as you know. We need LBs who can cover, this guy looks like a 3-4 OLB to me/situational pass rusher in the NFL.

Looks pretty good against the run. Don’t know if he can cover, maybe? Not like we have any now that can cover. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

13 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Looks pretty good against the run. Don’t know if he can cover, maybe? Not like we have any now that can cover. 

You said linebacker. He’s playing defensive end isn’t he?

The fact that we don’t have enough LBs who can cover well now is the exact reason I want to sign and draft good coverage LBs and move Collins to WLB bc he’ll be better covering close to the line of scrimmage then WRs 20 yards downfield.

In today’s NFL it’s imperative that you have coverage LBs. KPL & Holcomb have been good in coverage, at times excellent. Hudson shows promise as does SDH. Bostic struggles in coverage and he’s on the field every down, which has been a problem for two years.

Edited by turtle28

I like Chris Rumph as a pass-rusher. He’s got a great get-off and good strong hands. He’s really light in the pants though, and I have to agree with @turtle28, I think he’s either a 3-4 OLB or a situational pass rusher. He actually looks pretty good dropping into coverage, the few times they have him do that, I could see him being high on the list for a team like BAL or PIT (though they traditionally go a little bigger at OLB than many 3-4 teams I guess).

We need some DE depth, as we’ve discussed elsewhere with Kerrigan and Anderson both likely gone. You could find a place for Rumph in a rotation for sure — especially with the way we have been using some 3-4 looks — so the question is how highly do you value that? I don’t think I could go any higher than the 3rd for a backup DE, and if I was picking one there, I’d probably want a guy who can play run and pass for me.

If he was there at our 4th, though, I’d be all in. Day 3 picks, on good teams, you’re looking for guys who can play a role. This kid can come screaming off the edge and make life difficult for a lot of OTs and QBs, he would be a great piece to add for JDR at that point.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

Rountree the Mizzu RB is a pretty talented back. Doesn’t have elite burts but he’s a physical back he has good vision. To go along with that Bolton isn’t a explosive athlete. We won’t be improving TE coverage adding a guy like him. Zaven Collins from Tulsa has really become the LB I’m super high on throughout the year he’s 6’-5”. You add that length to Chase Tez and Payne the way these guys knock passes man this guy would be just like that. Zaven is a slower version of the VT LB that buffalo drafted I can’t remember his name and I’m being lazy but I think Collins if he is there round 2 you jump on him if Brevin Jordan isn’t avalible

• Like 1