The Technology Thread

UKTexans

On 23/07/2018 at 10:15 AM, JTagg7754 said:

Got a new Chromebook on Amazon during Prime Day on the super cheap. Why people don't own these things is beyond me. They obviously don't do everything but what they do, they do very well.

I don't really understand what they're for i don't think.

I mean, i guess if you just want a cheap basic laptop to do basic stuff on as cheaply as possible, they kinda make sense.  But mostly they're just a more cumbersome tablet with a keyboard.  Don't really have that convenience and comfort of a tablet...but don't really have the power to be a real serious computer either.

A lot of people seem plenty happy with them though.  Just a kinda awkward middleground that doesn't make a lot of sense for the way i use technology things i guess.

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I don't really understand what they're for i don't think.

I mean, i guess if you just want a cheap basic laptop to do basic stuff on as cheaply as possible, they kinda make sense.  But mostly they're just a more cumbersome tablet with a keyboard.  Don't really have that convenience and comfort of a tablet...but don't really have the power to be a real serious computer either.

A lot of people seem plenty happy with them though.  Just a kinda awkward middleground that doesn't make a lot of sense for the way i use technology things i guess.

I have a tablet in  my home and never use it. I haven't touched it in 2-3 years probably. Not only that, if you want to type up documents or spreadsheets, buy a keyboard on top of your expensive (for a good one) tablet. Chromebooks boot up in seconds, take seconds to set up, are pretty much incapable of getting viruses, screens are bigger than tablets, and are just more practical to me. W/ phone sizes getting to the points that they are, I don't see the need for tablets b/c our phones are essentially them lol.

Your last line is probably why they don't have any appeal to you. For what my wife and I do, it makes no sense not to have a laptop. I have a built PC that can do anything I need it to but having this to carry around the house w/ us and outside of it, is beyond helpful. If I'm going to do Photoshop or anything that needs big computing power, a tablet won't do that for me anyway and if it does, it'll be far more problematic than my PC so I don't even think about it. I should always put in my initial statement that they're not for everything but for those who could use them, I think they should get one.

Most people don't do anything more than what the Chromebook is for, that's why they're popular. They're an alternative to Windows without the need to pay a premium for Macbooks, and are cheaper than both. Plus they're light and have a fairly attractive design. If you don't care about Google's data collection, seems like easily the best value product on the market.

• Like 2

In my house I have a MacBook Pro, a Chromebook, and an iPad. All of them have different uses that they're great for.

The MBP does all of the heavy lifting. We use it for Photoshop, Illustrator, some games, and anything else the others can't handle.

The Chromebook gets used for web surfing, the kids doing their homework in Google Docs, some streaming. It's great to pull up a networks website, and stream shows for free, when they require a cable/satellite service to use the app on a streaming device. 

The iPad is used mainly by my wife for ebooks, FB, mobile games, surfing, and paying bills through apps. It's also great to have in the kitchen for recipes, since the scree can be cleaned. It has some more capability with iWork, but the touch screen makes it harder for me to use it. 

The Chromebook can do a lot of things that a normal laptop can, but everything is web based. It runs reasonably fast because the OS is basically a Chrome browser. For somebody that isn't doing a lot, they're great. You can stream, cast, and use anything in the Google world. Mine was under $200, so the value is there. 

• Like 1

On 25/07/2018 at 8:07 AM, JTagg7754 said:

I have a tablet in  my home and never use it. I haven't touched it in 2-3 years probably. Not only that, if you want to type up documents or spreadsheets, buy a keyboard on top of your expensive (for a good one) tablet. Chromebooks boot up in seconds, take seconds to set up, are pretty much incapable of getting viruses, screens are bigger than tablets, and are just more practical to me. W/ phone sizes getting to the points that they are, I don't see the need for tablets b/c our phones are essentially them lol.

Your last line is probably why they don't have any appeal to you. For what my wife and I do, it makes no sense not to have a laptop. I have a built PC that can do anything I need it to but having this to carry around the house w/ us and outside of it, is beyond helpful. If I'm going to do Photoshop or anything that needs big computing power, a tablet won't do that for me anyway and if it does, it'll be far more problematic than my PC so I don't even think about it. I should always put in my initial statement that they're not for everything but for those who could use them, I think they should get one.

I think it mostly just comes down to how i use stuff, yeah.

I've got a desktop for serious computings.  I've got a reasonably powerful laptop with a touch screen for when i want to use a computer somewhere else.  I've got a phone for everything else.  I don't even have one of those awful huge phones because they seem so cumbersome for everyday life and mostly unnecessary to me.

That does me for everything but those instances where i kinda still want a tablet because it's like a giant phone and more convenient.  But those instances are so far between that it really doesn't bother me...even if it'd be an extra step of convenience.  The majority of those instances, i'd probably be better off just...interacting with the people around me.  So i can kinda agree on tablets being not altogether useful...But a chromebook vs actual laptop...there's a big capability gap there, and they can fill basically the same role.  Just that chromebooks are way more limited.  That's where i get to chromebooks being an awkward half step toward tablets.

• Like 1

I think most tablets are still really bad, other than the iPad. The ones cheaper than Chromebooks are an absolute waste of money, the more expensive ones still suck because they lack adequate support from apps and from the manufacturer because most of that is focused on phones. You can get Chromebooks for less than the best tablet on the market, and the Chromebook has a keyboard and is a lot more like an actual computer for productivity purposes. iPad is basically an incomplete device for more money if you're a student or need a budget option for productive stuff. As much as Apple recently tried to push the new iPad to compete with lower end laptops, I think they're just completely different products and it makes no sense to even consider one unless you know that is what you want.

Personally I'm not a laptop guy at all. Desktop + tablet is the way to go for me.

• Like 1

I've had both an iPad and an Android tablet, and I've never found any use for them. If I want to do anything more than I can do on my phone, I want a keyboard. I've also found tablets really awkward to hold/use. They are too big to hold in both hands and type with your thumbs, they are too heavy to comfortably hold in one hand while using the other, and they don't stay in place well if you are trying to use it on your lap. Even just trying to watch something is a pain because they don't support themselves and you have to hold it upright the whole time. 

• Like 2

Is there a program that will run my PC as a streaming box (like a Roku, with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc) in the background? So if I have my monitor connected to my DisplayPort output, and my TV through an HDMI output, it will be able to stream to the HDMI output without showing up on my monitor? 

20 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Is there a program that will run my PC as a streaming box (like a Roku, with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc) in the background? So if I have my monitor connected to my DisplayPort output, and my TV through an HDMI output, it will be able to stream to the HDMI output without showing up on my monitor? 

If you extend the TV as a second monitor, you can drag whatever you want to watch on there and it won't be on your PC Monitor. It doesn't really work in the background like you want though. If you plan to play games while someone watches Netflix or whatever, it'll be more taxing on the system and your game performance will suffer. Also not 100% sure what that does as far as sound goes, but I don't think it'll be ideal unless the person using the computer doesn't need to use sound during the time the other is watching the TV.

Edited by Mossburg

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tyty said:

Anyone know a good relatively cheap Bluetooth sound system/speaker for home use? I bought a Bluetooth speaker a few months ago and it’s okay but not even that much louder than my phone lol

I have a first gen JBL Charge, and it's loud enough to fill my living room. Sounds really good too. 

3 hours ago, Tyty said:

Anyone know a good relatively cheap Bluetooth sound system/speaker for home use? I bought a Bluetooth speaker a few months ago and it’s okay but not even that much louder than my phone lol

I bought this just to hang in the shower, but it’s really a quality speaker even if you don’t need the waterproof capabilities. Plenty loud and the strap is kind of nice to be able to hang it or secure it somewhere. 

You can buy multiples and sync them as well.

Also its $30 cheaper than when I bought mine a few years ago 

https://www.amazon.com/Volcano-Wireless-Portable-Bluetooth-Waterproof/dp/B00YARCGHO?adgrpid=55030500374&hvadid=274716759257&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9033607&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=14946821713410650256&hvtargid=kwd-299434304623&keywords=ue%2Broll&qid=1534359257&sr=8-2&tag=hydsma-20&ref=mp_s_a_1_2&th=1&psc=1

Edited by Dome