The Technology Thread

UKTexans

Does anyone have any advice for improving practical internet speeds?

I have a "40 Mbps" connection, which always tests around 35 Mpbs which is fine, but I have never seen any download better than ~2 Mbps, and I simply cannot watch 1080p Youtube videos. Twitch is pretty good, but no great. Netflix and Hulu always work perfectly fine, but Youtube is a complete disaster, and websites in general load slowly. I'm guessing my ISP is throttling Youtube/website traffic. 

Would changing my DNS server help? Different firewall/router settings? 

6 hours ago, texans_uk said:

So 4 months later and no PC in sight. 

I'm just so hesitant on picking the wrong PC. Or picking one and them a month later something better comes out or the price drops.

This is always going to happen no matter what or when you buy.

On 2/7/2018 at 4:54 PM, Heimdallr said:

I have a "40 Mbps" connection, which always tests around 35 Mpbs which is fine, but I have never seen any download better than ~2 Mbps, and I simply cannot watch 1080p Youtube videos. Twitch is pretty good, but no great. Netflix and Hulu always work perfectly fine, but Youtube is a complete disaster, and websites in general load slowly. I'm guessing my ISP is throttling Youtube/website traffic. 

First step, trying wiring your devices into your home network if you haven’t already and see if that makes a difference. Streaming media, especially in a home environment, can be a disaster over wireless, for a number of reasons.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2018 at 3:54 PM, Heimdallr said:

Both would help. Go with DNS first, because you want as much security as possible. Try Google DNS and OpenDNS and see which one works better. Set it on the router. 

10 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

Both would help. Go with DNS first, because you want as much security as possible. Try Google DNS and OpenDNS and see which one works better. Set it on the router. 

I had originally been using Google DNS, but I switched to OpenDNS and seems to have helped a bit

On 2/15/2018 at 10:15 PM, vikesfan89 said:

Has anyone tried You Tube TV? It seems like that has all the channels that I'd want for a lot less than dish, but as far as I can tell it doesn't work with amazon fire stick which is what I have. I wonder if it would be worth it to get a Roku

Roku is awesome. The best part is its search shows results from all providers like Amazon, Netflix, Vudu, etc and the price at each place so you can pick whichever you want. It can also notify you for a movie or TV show that is not available when it becomes available on any of the providers. I've had a Roku stick before but recently also got a TCL TV mostly because it comes with Roku as it's operating system.

9 hours ago, tima said:

Roku is awesome. The best part is its search shows results from all providers like Amazon, Netflix, Vudu, etc and the price at each place so you can pick whichever you want. It can also notify you for a movie or TV show that is not available when it becomes available on any of the providers. I've had a Roku stick before but recently also got a TCL TV mostly because it comes with Roku as it's operating system.

I ended up getting a roku stick. Seems good so far and had a lot better wireless than the fire sick

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Asus laptop which does not have a DisplayPort input. I have dual dell monitors which use DisplayPort. I purchased a "HDMI to DisplayPort Converter Adapter" to connect the laptop.

My computer is recognizing both monitors as one display (when I go into display setting and extend the display, it recognizes the computer as "1" and both monitors as "2"). 

I need the monitors to be "1" and "2" as I want to work with my laptop off and the two screens showing different screens. 

Monitors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5VMLR9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
Computer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0146DD02G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BXMOREI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anybody know how to fix the issue or if this won't work?

On 3/8/2018 at 7:02 PM, mm6492 said:

I have an Asus laptop which does not have a DisplayPort input. I have dual dell monitors which use DisplayPort. I purchased a "HDMI to DisplayPort Converter Adapter" to connect the laptop.

My computer is recognizing both monitors as one display (when I go into display setting and extend the display, it recognizes the computer as "1" and both monitors as "2"). 

I need the monitors to be "1" and "2" as I want to work with my laptop off and the two screens showing different screens. 

Monitors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5VMLR9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
Computer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0146DD02G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BXMOREI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anybody know how to fix the issue or if this won't work?

You can daisy chain (DP MST) if your video card supports it, you have the correctly rated cables, and enable the feature in the monitor(I believe you change this setting on the last leg of the chain).  

See the manual for the monitor for instructions:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/B1Kxv2Vv4kS.pdf

Although, Heimdallr might be right about the  conversion to HDMI.  That does put a wrench into it. 

Edited by Ataal

On 2/7/2018 at 3:54 PM, Heimdallr said:

Can't imagine it's a bandwidth thing, but then...i've heard there are a lot of craptastic IPs out there who do all manner of shady throttling stuff.  So idk.

As an alternative though, what sort of hardware are you streaming on?  I know sometimes especially on older computers with less graphics processing power and integrated graphics rather than external, a lot of 1080 streaming over time can get kinda extremely suboptimal and super laggy looking.  But it's more a graphics/hardware failure than an internet speed one.

On 1/8/2018 at 1:26 PM, iPwn said:

I have a smart scale. May eventually upgrade it if one comes out with more features or something. But right now having my weight, body fat percentage and heart rate is good enough for me. It also automatically syncs to my HealthKit data, which is nice. 

I’m considering getting a Nest or Ecobee, but haven’t decided which one yet. I’m probably going to set up some sort of light automation system. And smart cookware (specifically a sous vide) is pretty high on my list.

I’m also in the process of getting the parts together for a home server that’s going to connect my movie and tv show library with all the TVs in my apartment and also give me access to it all when I’m on the go. Basically will be a personal Netflix system.

You may think it's great now, but you'll regret it when the government knows exactly how much you weigh and what your heart rate and body fat are.

One day, someone will hack into your frying pan and the whole network is compromised.

On 2/21/2018 at 9:33 AM, tima said:

One thing about Roku, is that the Netflix app has become absolutely infuriating.  I still cannot figure out a way to turn off the awful "autopreview" feature as you scroll around.  And it's been driving me halfway mad for a while now.