The Technology Thread

UKTexans

Hello folks.  I was wondering if anyone here could recommend me some wireless headphones.  I was considering getting the new Samsung Galaxy Buds, but those are back ordered to hell since they just came out.  I was also considering Airpods, but they look like they wouldn't fit snugly in my ear.  I've never owned a pair of wireless headphones.

Normally, I would prefer a wired headphone, but I just hate wires for stuff that I take on the go.  Whether it be putting it in a bag for work, going to the gym, laying in bed, etc - I just find wires to be so troublesome and they always tend to go bad on me. 

So I have a cheap HP laptop I haven’t touched in a year but I’m gonna get her going again. Don’t have the charger for it tho. Are HP chargers one size fits all? I don’t wanna buy a charger that doesn’t fit lol. Not sure what the laptop is or else I’d just look it up myself. The one most similar says touch screen but mine isn’t a touch screen 

On 3/14/2019 at 12:14 AM, showtime said:

Hello folks.  I was wondering if anyone here could recommend me some wireless headphones.  I was considering getting the new Samsung Galaxy Buds, but those are back ordered to hell since they just came out.  I was also considering Airpods, but they look like they wouldn't fit snugly in my ear.  I've never owned a pair of wireless headphones.

Normally, I would prefer a wired headphone, but I just hate wires for stuff that I take on the go.  Whether it be putting it in a bag for work, going to the gym, laying in bed, etc - I just find wires to be so troublesome and they always tend to go bad on me. 

Check slickdeals. Theyve posted the Samsung ones on sell several times since they came out. 

6 minutes ago, Tyty said:

So I have a cheap HP laptop I haven’t touched in a year but I’m gonna get her going again. Don’t have the charger for it tho. Are HP chargers one size fits all? I don’t wanna buy a charger that doesn’t fit lol. Not sure what the laptop is or else I’d just look it up myself. The one most similar says touch screen but mine isn’t a touch screen 

No. But Best Buy/Amazon sell the universal chargers. They are typically ~$30-$50

On 3/14/2019 at 12:14 AM, showtime said:

I love my Beats - I have the Powebeats 3, swear by them as my do everything headphones.

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

No. But Best Buy/Amazon sell the universal chargers. They are typically ~$30-$50

I decided to not be lazy and did some research and found a compatible one on amazon for $11 lol

Just replaced my Chromecast with a Fire TV Stick 4K last night and couldn't be happier.  I always regretted not having an interface and the new upgraded remote is awesome.  It controls both my TV and Soundbar and I hooked up an old Echo Dot to it so I have hands free voice control.  

I've got two other Dots shipping today so I can have multiroom music going shortly.  

4 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

You know, since all those services can broadcast in 4k, it seemed logical lol

I mean it upscales everything including 4K and is basically four 4K panels, (one in each quadrant of the 8K screen), so the pixel density is pretty good. But yeah, only special events like the 2020 Olympics and some select content is even 8K. At least the major companies are putting out TV's in 8K and are only around $6000 rather than well over $100,000 six years ago.

TV consumerism is rapidly changing so in 15 years we are basically going to have lifelike hologram projectors and then eventually people will be able to get programmed with stuff like wearing VR tech now except the experience is fully immersive like an illusion or dreamlike state.

Edited by DoleINGout

27 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I mean it upscales everything including 4K and is basically four 4K panels, (one in each quadrant of the 8K screen), so the pixel density is pretty good. But yeah, only special events like the 2020 Olympics and some select content is even 8K. At least the major companies are putting out TV's in 8K and are only around $6000 rather than well over $100,000 six years ago.

TV consumerism is rapidly changing so in 15 years we are basically going to have lifelike hologram projectors and then eventually people will be able to get programmed with stuff like wearing VR tech now except the experience is fully immersive like an illusion or dreamlike state.

We aren't even going to have decent 4k content until the US broadband infrastructure is upgraded. Most Americans barely have 20 Mpbs access.

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

We aren't even going to have decent 4k content until the US broadband infrastructure is upgraded. Most Americans barely have 20 Mpbs access.

When I say "we" I mean the people who can afford the equivalent to an 8K tv right now, (approximately $6000 cheapest).

On 3/20/2019 at 1:40 PM, DoleINGout said:

When I say "we" I mean the people who can afford the equivalent to an 8K tv right now, (approximately $6000 cheapest).

I can afford that.  But @Heimdallr has a point - the infrastructure isn't there.  I have 10 mbps service, with no real options to upgrade that.  So i have no plans to upgrade from my 1080p TV anytime soon.

2 hours ago, theJ said:

I can afford that.  But @Heimdallr has a point - the infrastructure isn't there.  I have 10 mbps service, with no real options to upgrade that.  So i have no plans to upgrade from my 1080p TV anytime soon.

15 years from now pretty much everything will be digitized and streamed. I think the infrastructure is going to be a lot more modified by then to accommodate for what will then be a standard 4K across the US/Japan/ect.

32 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

15 years from now pretty much everything will be digitized and streamed. I think the infrastructure is going to be a lot more modified by then to accommodate for what will then be a standard 4K across the US/Japan/ect.

I hope so.  I would imagine the future is some sort of wireless technology so we can abandon the slow cable lines.  But for now, that technology isn't imminent for most of the US.

As somebody that works in telecom, for probably the biggest backbone provider, we're a long way from 8K being a viable option for most of the country. The people that it will work for is the ones that live in new housing developments with FTTH. There's not enough money in the consumer level for the ISPs to do the upgrades necessary for the traffic requirements. 5G is years out from being put into place for most people, and they'll start with the rural areas first. The current tests are running on LTE. 

The cost of putting fiber in the ground is enormous, and a terrible ROI for the consumer level. For the bandwidth necessary, it will take the houses getting fiber, or 5G. Each 5G antenna will need power and fiber, and since 5G has pretty limited range, it's going to take a lot of antennas in the neighborhood. 

So, DSL is limited, cable is a shared bus, fiber is really expensive, 5G is years out. I can't see 8K becoming the standard for streaming for a long time. It will take downloads, or waiting a long time for buffering. That's in the US. Places like Japan, and Sweden, where everything is built vertically, will have an easier time. They get one drop for the building, and distribute it throughout. We like space here, so the single family homes will have to wait. The places we are built vertical, like NYC, have so much stuff in the ground around them, getting new cables in is extremely tough.