NCAA Basketball Thread: '21-22

NYRaider

3 minutes ago, fraziafraze07 said:

Note to Roy: Recruit some backcourt players that can shoot or stop doing whatever you're doing that makes your recruits suck at shooting when they get here. JFC.

The game has passed him by, my man. His emphasis on inside basketball just isn't conducive to winning in this new era. Running your offense through big men that can't create for others is outdated and our guards are left on islands. How many catch and shoot opportunities do we even have at this point? Seems like every 3 ball is a pullup. He needs to be put out to pasture. I mean, this dude made Cole Anthony look like a bad offensive player. That, right there, tells all.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

The game has passed him by, my man. His emphasis on inside basketball just isn't conducive to winning in this new era. Running your offense through big men that can't create for others is outdated and our guards are left on islands. How many catch and shoot opportunities do we even have at this point? Seems like every 3 ball is a pullup. He needs to be put out to pasture. I mean, this dude made Cole Anthony look like a bad offensive player. That, right there, tells all.

I think there's a kernal of truth here, but we were successful as recently as a few years ago, and the game wasn't that different then.  

Just now, fraziafraze07 said:

I think there's a kernal of truth here, but we were successful as recently as a few years ago, and the game wasn't that different then.  

The difference then was veteran (upperclassmen) guards. Go look at any highly successful Roy Williams team. The '05 team had Felton and McCants, the '09 team had Lawson, Green and Ellington, the '16 team had Paige and Britt, the '17 team had Berry, Britt and Pinson and that entire team was pretty much upperclassmen. 

16 hours ago, beekay414 said:

The one and done era hurt top programs because they have so much roster turnover that it's basically a new team every year. You don't see guys like Lawson, Felton, etc staying multiple years in school anymore because guys are in a rush to get to the league as quickly as possible. 

20 hours ago, beekay414 said:

The difference then was veteran (upperclassmen) guards. Go look at any highly successful Roy Williams team. The '05 team had Felton and McCants, the '09 team had Lawson, Green and Ellington, the '16 team had Paige and Britt, the '17 team had Berry, Britt and Pinson and that entire team was pretty much upperclassmen. 

While that's true on the overall team success level, I don't see how that should impact shooting specifically that much.  Highly touted freshmen should still be able to shoot better than what we've shown over the past couple years, even if Roy's offense isn't great at getting them a ton of wide open looks.  We're missing the easy ones still.

1 hour ago, fraziafraze07 said:

While that's true on the overall team success level, I don't see how that should impact shooting specifically that much.  Highly touted freshmen should still be able to shoot better than what we've shown over the past couple years, even if Roy's offense isn't great at getting them a ton of wide open looks.  We're missing the easy ones still.

There's no plan for when the inside game doesn't work. These kids didn't suddenly forget how to shoot.

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The one and done era hurt top programs because they have so much roster turnover that it's basically a new team every year. You don't see guys like Lawson, Felton, etc staying multiple years in school anymore because guys are in a rush to get to the league as quickly as possible. 

Selfishly as a college basketball fan, it sucks that this is the case now. For example with Duke this year, I wouldn’t be surprised if DJ Steward and even Jaemyn Brakefield are one and done. I don’t know if either guy is ready for the league but now in days it feels like you have to strike while the iron is hot. Both those guys would be star upperclassman in the old days but unfortunately that’s not the case these days.