NCAA Basketball Thread: '21-22

NYRaider

11 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Selfishly as a college basketball fan, it sucks that this is the case now. For example with Duke this year, I wouldn’t be surprised if DJ Steward and even Jaemyn Brakefield are one and done. I don’t know if either guy is ready for the league but now in days it feels like you have to strike while the iron is hot. Both those guys would be star upperclassman in the old days but unfortunately that’s not the case these days.

Coach K has always preached that it's not just about getting to the league, it's about sticking around and getting that 2nd/3rd contract. We'll see what happens, the only guy I think is for sure a one-n-done is Jalen Johnson. Admittedly though, I lost a lot of my interest in college hoops when we weren't able to win a title with that Zion team.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Coach K has always preached that it's not just about getting to the league, it's about sticking around and getting that 2nd/3rd contract. We'll see what happens, the only guy I think is for sure a one-n-done is Jalen Johnson. Admittedly though, I lost a lot of my interest in college hoops when we weren't able to win a title with that Zion team.  

Man, same here. Not even making the Final Four with Zion to go along with RJ, Tre and Cam did something to me as a fan. A part of my fandom died with that team.

Maybe next year with Griffin, Banchero, potentially Baldwin Jr. and hopefully returnees in Roach, Steward and Brakefield will fill the void that’s been missing since that 2018-2019 team.

5 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Man, same here. Not even making the Final Four with Zion to go along with RJ, Tre and Cam did something to me as a fan. A part of my fandom died with that team.

Maybe next year with Griffin, Banchero, potentially Baldwin Jr. and hopefully returnees in Roach, Steward and Brakefield will fill the void that’s been missing since that 2018-2019 team.

It's hard for me to be invested into Duke basketball when we essentially have a new team every year. I loved watching guys like Kyle Singler, Nolan Smith, Brian Zoubek, etc. develop over their careers and lead us to a title. It's just not the same anymore and I'm sure guys like @RandyMossIsBoss and @beekay414 would agree. It's tough to get invested into teams/players knowing they're looking to bolt out of the program as soon as they can. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It's hard for me to be invested into Duke basketball when we essentially have a new team every year. I loved watching guys like Kyle Singler, Nolan Smith, Brian Zoubek, etc. develop over their careers and lead us to a title. It's just not the same anymore and I'm sure guys like @RandyMossIsBoss and @beekay414 would agree. It's tough to get invested into teams/players knowing they're looking to bolt out of the program as soon as they can. 

Yeah, I don't really give two ****s about college basketball anymore. Well, basketball in general has fallen way behind the other sports for me lately. I think the rule should be either go pro out of high school or do 3 years like baseball does. Gives the elite guys the opportunity to go pro out of the gates while allowing schools to recruit to develop programs rather than cater to kids that think they are one and dones. Expand the scholarship limits too. If you're going to have 3 years players every cycle, you have to expand so teams can take 3-4 guys every cycle. This, of course, is off the cuff and not really thought through on my end but I don't necessarily think that even a 2 year minimum would solve anything. We could always go back to the declare whenever rules if committing for 3 years is too much to ask.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 10:13 AM, beekay414 said:

Yeah, I don't really give two ****s about college basketball anymore. Well, basketball in general has fallen way behind the other sports for me lately. I think the rule should be either go pro out of high school or do 3 years like baseball does. Gives the elite guys the opportunity to go pro out of the gates while allowing schools to recruit to develop programs rather than cater to kids that think they are one and dones. Expand the scholarship limits too. If you're going to have 3 years players every cycle, you have to expand so teams can take 3-4 guys every cycle. This, of course, is off the cuff and not really thought through on my end but I don't necessarily think that even a 2 year minimum would solve anything. We could always go back to the declare whenever rules if committing for 3 years is too much to ask.

I'd be in favor of just switching it back to the old rules where guys are able to declare straight out of HS or declare at any point during their college career. I think that'd weed out a lot of the top one-n-done guys as they'd just make the jump directly to the league and the guys that would end up in college would be the ones who aren't as NBA ready and would likely be multi-year players for the most part.