GDT 10/18/20 Week 6: 4-1 Baltimore Ravens @ 1-3-1 Philadelphia Eagles

diamondbull424

45 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Lol so Chase Claypool is looking like Calvin Johnson reincarnated after 6 weeks while Miles Boykin in year 2 literally doesn't even know what routes he's running on the field. 

It's been said a million times but we need to completely change how we scout and develop WR's. Feels like EDC is as hopeless as Ozzie was in this regard. 

To be fair to EDC, Hollywood and Duvernary have looked really good so far. Proche hasn't been involved enough on offense to accurately gauge him. Boykin has really been the only miss, given the limited sample size.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Feels like EDC is as hopeless as Ozzie was in this regard.

EDC literally hit a home run on his first at bat. Hollywood is a really good receiver. 

BTW the Steelers were high on Boykin too. This is what you do, you take chances on high end lotto picks and hope you hit. We rolled the dice on a diminutive & injured but undeniable playmaker/threat in Marquise- and it worked. We rolled the dice on a freak athlete with a strong catch rate in Boykin- and thus far it hasn't worked out.

That's what you do though. You gamble on those kind of profiles.

Already Duvrnay and Proche look like they'll be our locked in returners for the duration of their contract. And Devin, despite the COVID altered everything, is flashing plus play on his opportunities already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RavensTillIDie said:

No doubt Kubiak is a great OC and a masterful run game coordinator, but has he ever actually worked with a mobile QB?

I’m not so worried about that. Kling Kingsbury didn’t have on his resume an athlete like Kyler Murray yet he’s been able to add wrinkles within his offense to take advantage of Murray’s elite juice.

Roman/Harbaugh on the other hand got a mobile QB and studied Georgia Tech and a bunch of running offenses. It worked in year one but they clearly were not as open to studying the likes of Lincoln Riley and Joe Brady for year two. They just thought complacency was the way to go like they’ve done in every playoff gameplan they’ve ushered into the equation the last few years.

All that to say I wouldn’t worry about Kubiak being able to take an elite athlete and insert playcalls to take advantage of his ability. Tbqh the thing I’d worry most about would be the offensive line personnel. Kubiak is a career ZBS guy. While JKD would thrive in that type of scheme, we’ve got too many OL that aren’t great fits for that scheme with Orlando Brown Jr and Bradley Bozeman sticking out like sore thumbs. Philips seems athletic enough and Mekari would have the proper athleticism as well, Skura wouldn’t be a great fit, but he’s also in his contract season.

Whats more we know the way Harbaugh operates. He usually adds a guy to the staff for a year before trusting them to take over. So more likely if Roman leaves we’re looking at David Culley or MAYBE James Urban as our OC. Though one that front I still wouldn’t be against KI Kam coming onto the staff as an advisor. Perhaps it’ll lead to better playoff game plans with someone looking at things from an outside perspective.

1 hour ago, RavensTillIDie said:

How is Boykin seemingly the only one not hearing the play calls and/or being called out for this?

I don't think it is play calls. I think it has something to do with recognizing coverage. If the CB stays in phase, then the WR has to recognize it and make a comeback. If the CB stops and sits in a zone the WR is supposed to get vertical. Sometimes it has to do with safety help - if there is a safety coming over the top, the WR is supposed to adjust his route instead of running deep.

Those are dependant on scheme, route design etc.

• Like 1

I don't think EDC is the problem with WR's. I think this is the problem with WR's:

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/coaches-roster/david-culley

The guy who develops the WR's is the guy who develops and coordinates our passing game. Both of these areas are HORRIBLE for our team. Coincidence? Hollywood is great because he was already a great WR in college. Dudes who weren't great in college haven't developed here. Ever.

4 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m not so worried about that. Kling Kingsbury didn’t have on his resume an athlete like Kyler Murray yet he’s been able to add wrinkles within his offense to take advantage of Murray’s elite juice.

Roman/Harbaugh on the other hand got a mobile QB and studied Georgia Tech and a bunch of running offenses. It worked in year one but they clearly were not as open to studying the likes of Lincoln Riley and Joe Brady for year two. They just thought complacency was the way to go like they’ve done in every playoff gameplan they’ve ushered into the equation the last few years.

All that to say I wouldn’t worry about Kubiak being able to take an elite athlete and insert playcalls to take advantage of his ability. Tbqh the thing I’d worry most about would be the offensive line personnel. Kubiak is a career ZBS guy. While JKD would thrive in that type of scheme, we’ve got too many OL that aren’t great fits for that scheme with Orlando Brown Jr and Bradley Bozeman sticking out like sore thumbs. Philips seems athletic enough and Mekari would have the proper athleticism as well, Skura wouldn’t be a great fit, but he’s also in his contract season.

Whats more we know the way Harbaugh operates. He usually adds a guy to the staff for a year before trusting them to take over. So more likely if Roman leaves we’re looking at David Culley or MAYBE James Urban as our OC. Though one that front I still wouldn’t be against KI Kam coming onto the staff as an advisor. Perhaps it’ll lead to better playoff game plans with someone looking at things from an outside perspective.

I get the overall point you're trying to make, but I don't necessarily agree with the examples. Kingsbury worked with the likes of Manziel, Mayfield and Mahomes during his college tenure, so he already had experience with mobile QBs and had been infatuated with Murray for the longest time (in terms of trying to recruit him). And Roman had a history of working with mobile QBs from Kap to Tyrod before coming to Baltimore, so again a predisposition towards a certain type of quarterback and how to utilize them. So, two examples which validate the general premise I was getting at, that coordinators tend to have a certain mold which they look for in QBs to fit their system.

Now, that's not to say Kubiak couldn't properly utilize Lamar, but I would have my doubts initially just based on never having seen Kubiak work with a mobile quarterback. Again, not saying I wouldn't welcome Kubiak back as our OC, but I'm very much of the mindset, I need to see it to believe it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I get the overall point you're trying to make, but I don't necessarily agree with the examples. Kingsbury worked with the likes of Manziel, Mayfield and Mahomes during his college tenure, so he already had experience with mobile QBs and had been infatuated with Murray for the longest time (in terms of trying to recruit him). And Roman had a history of working with mobile QBs from Kap to Tyrod before coming to Baltimore, so again a predisposition towards a certain type of quarterback and how to utilize them. So, two examples which validate the general premise I was getting at, that coordinators tend to have a certain mold which they look for in QBs to fit their system.

Now, that's not to say Kubiak couldn't properly utilize Lamar, but I would have my doubts initially just based on never having seen Kubiak work with a mobile quarterback. Again, not saying I wouldn't welcome Kubiak back as our OC, but I'm very much of the mindset, I need to see it to believe it.

I suppose I wasn’t counting them as truly mobile to the point of a Murray. But I suppose you’re right on the collegiate level they’re definite dual threats.

But along that same token then I think Kubiak has proven he can coach mobile style QBs. I mean his first breakthrough had him as Steve Young’s QB coach in his 1994 MVP season. He then followed that up by moving onto be the offensive coordinator/QB coach for John Elway... one of the more mobile QBs of the decade as well.

Now for recent evidence, he’s definitely lacking I’d agree. I just think (and you seem to have picked up on that point) a little different than the narrative of “Lamar is lucky the Ravens built an offense specifically for him” nonsense. I don’t and never particularly agreed. I think Lamar would’ve excelled in near any offense in the league, just to varying degrees. I mean our current offense is basically the same boring offensive passing concepts we gave to Flacco, only with more run action. Now that we’re running Lamar less, it’s even less run action and just boring outdated passing concepts that don’t help QBs produce. Concepts that are even more outdated considering the fact that they were outdated when Flacco was executing them years ago.

But yeah, that’s kind of a mini rant about our offense and how it didn’t evolve any from last season. But point is you’re right about Kingsbury he had shown he could work with mobile QBs.

Edited by diamondbull424
Grammar
  • Like 2