GDT 10/18/20 Week 6: 4-1 Baltimore Ravens @ 1-3-1 Philadelphia Eagles

diamondbull424

2 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

The bright side is that we get some practice in a close game. Before every game good or bad was not competitive.

Yup. What would have been better for this team? Blowing out the Eagles heading into a bye week with the Steelers coming on the other side? Or winning a close humbling game that will force the coaches and players to re-evaluate and self reflect over the bye and work that much harder on the bye week, focus that much harder on getting healthy and improving on the lapses that they’ve had during this “first half” of the season.

This team seems far more likely to respond positively to the latter than some meltdown loss against a terrible opponent.

2 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

I feel like we do this every week. We make up excuses...

Pause right here.... Excuses for what exactly? Played like garbage against KC and no one made excuses for that. Other than that 5 wins and what will still be the widest point differential in the league.

The logic doesn't make sense to me. Especially since the takeaway will be that we are well behind Pittsburgh, who just played their first comfortable win of the year. They were a missed FG away from trailing this same Eagles team late last week, remember? Was that a sign of problems for them.

Just chase the W's not impressiveness points, although we objectively should be doing pretty well in that. Not 2019 level, but that's not a requirement for anything.

All that said, I think the real issue with this game was that I created the gameday thread. We haven’t experienced such close nail biters since back when I used to make GDT on the regular. Clearly something in the Universe provides nail biters in such situations.

So I think next game @DreamKid it’ll be vital for you to make the GDT if we’re to have any hope of coasting through the Steelers. 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

Pause right here.... Excuses for what exactly? Played like garbage against KC and no one made excuses for that. Other than that 5 wins and what will still be the widest point differential in the league.

The logic doesn't make sense to me. Especially since the takeaway will be that we are well behind Pittsburgh, who just played their first comfortable win of the year. They were a missed FG away from trailing this same Eagles team late last week, remember? Was that a sign of problems for them.

Just chase the W's not impressiveness points, although we objectively should be doing pretty well in that. Not 2019 level, but that's not a requirement for anything.

Our pass offense has left a lot to be desired, thays no secret. When we had Lamar throw it close to 50 times last week, people were saying "maybe we used it as practice". That excuse bothered me a lot. 

I'm just hoping as we near the mid season, we really start getting the engine going like it should be working. We just aren't clicking and it doesn't seem like the coaches know how to fix it. Is it Lamar, is it play calling? Is it lack of weapons? I don't know. 

2 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

#1 in overall DVOA coming into this week. Largely based on the play of the defense though considering the offense is currently below average to bad in its Drive Success Rate, down 7% in overall TD/FG scores this season over where we finished last season.

That said, there are few coaches better coming off of a bye week than John Harbaugh. In 2012 we didn’t gain SB traction on offense until after the bye week where we switched McKinnie into the starting lineup (though firing Cam Cameron also helped). We saw this team install the “Lamar offense” in within the bye week in 2018.

I don’t think I’d be shocked to see them add some more offensive wrinkles in for Duvernay and Hollywood. Especially with those quick hitters.

My post-game thoughts:

• First and foremost, that was the most blatant display of biased officiating I've ever seen in my life. Not only were the RTP and DPI calls egregious and garbage, but the pre-snap penalties for "lining up in the backfield" were a complete joke.

Offense:

• I'm still amazed at just how bad our passing concepts are. They are COMPLETELY vanilla. It's literally like watching Cam Cameron all over again. There was one 3rd down where we had a basic spread formation against man coverage, and everyone just ran curl routes. WTF is Lamar supposed to do with that?!?! The result of the play was Lamar scrambling and throwing it away, and that I think was the drive where we punted it back with just under 3 minutes left.
  • The IOL is just so bad at this point to watch.
  • Our play calling on 1st down is also painful to watch. It's basically just "run up the middle" every goddamn time, and it was a guarantee to put us into 2nd and long. Our 2nd down playcalling was the best of the day, but it was either a batted ball or holding.
  • Ronnie Stanley committing like 5 penalties and surrendering some pressures today was not fun to watch.
  • Mark Ingram is cooked. Dude has no explosiveness at all. Give JK the ball in space and he'll make plays. Been saying it all freaking year but somehow the coaching staff just can't do that...
  • Miles Boykin continues to be abysmal at WR. I sincerely wish we'd just bench him at this point for Proche. He offers nothing, and continues to run the wrong routes every game. On the other hand, Devin Duvernay really impressed me today.
  • Lamar continues to be streaky as a QB - he was making bad reads/throws but on the other hand, there's just nothing there for him to do anything with. Roman is not scheming him anything easy for people to make plays. However, the sack he took near the end of the half to move us out of FG range was horrible.

Defense:

• Tyus Bowser continues to do the most with his opportunities.
  • LJ Fort is a straight up liability in man coverage. Chris Board, however, was not.
  • Malik Harrison is not ready to be on the field at all. He was responsible on teh TD pass to Croom and he also bit HARD on a play fake early in the game to let Ertz get wide open on a play that Wentz missed. PQ's tackling today was...shaky. The play he just let Wentz keep running was cringeworthy.
  • Calais Campbell was a one-man monster today. He really came out of his shell.
  • Judon continues to ONLY produce when completely unblocked. I watched several plays today where he was actually rushing the passer against an OL and he just does literally nothing at all. Just patty-cakes and stands there. It's embarrassing how much we're paying him for that kind of pass rush productivity.
  • The secondary balled out until the 2nd half, then they coasted and just stopped playing entirely - especially Marcus Peters. His effort in the 2nd half was a complete joke.

EDIT: last thought -- JUSTIN TUCKER IS AMAZING.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 3

Ugh. After watching the Ravens the past few games, I have to adjust my expectations for the season. Even though we are 5-1, I'd say if we are able to win 1 playoff game, I'd consider it a successful season. 

I think Wink in particular is a really problematic coach. Yes the D can rack up counting stats all day long. But his cover-0 blitz on 4th and 9 was completely predictable and easily countered. Wink is essentially a poor man's Rex Ryan. He's a big blustery guy who prides himself on being aggressive, but can be foiled by moderately intelligent coaching and good QB play. Yes this defense can overwhelm bad teams, especially when the Ravens have the lead. But they are fundamentally unsound and ripe to be exploited, as KC showed. 

Let's not kid ourselves, that was a bad Philly team with a lot of 2nd stringers in there. Just a terrible performance. I don't think I've ever seen a more-or-less healthy Ravens O-line collapse that badly. Yikes.