The Wilfs Just Hired YOU as the New GM...

Uncle Buck

A number of us have been questioning the direction, philosophy, and/or implementation of what the current staff has been attempting to do.  Here is your chance.  If the Wilfs fired Rick Spielman and put you in charge with unlimited autonomy, what would you do to get us to the promised land?

Hire a staff that can identify talent, break down film, and drive the team, then get out of the way. My dearth of football knowledge would only hamper our day-to-day operations. Instead I'll spend most of my time handling the press. Reporters are bound to question why a 35-year-old fan with no credentials who can't drive to US Bank Stadium without getting lost, and owns a suspicious amount of Giants memorabilia, is now the Vikings' General Manager. 😮

After graciously relieving Mike Zimmer of his coaching responsibilities, I'll replace him with an offensive-minded head coach who can motivate the players and keep them focused. I want him to bring in guys who'll work their butts off and get back to the line, not divas or discipline cases. No big contracts to injury-prone players. No politics. Go back to the old uniforms and helmets.

If I'm lucky, the new coach (probably Greg Roman or Eric Bienemy) will do well enough that I can step aside entirely after a year or so and give him the GM role also.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Pay someone to take Kirk Cousins off my hands!

Unfortunately, we'd probably have to give multiple 1st round picks to get someone to take him off our hands.

Based on where we are today, I wouldn't worry about Kirk at this point, since he's going to be here through 2022.  But, I'd have my scouts prioritize finding the future starting QB in this 2021 draft with either the 1st rd pick or the 3rd rd (since there is no 2nd rd one).  In addition, prior to the trade deadline, I'd inquire around the league on the market value in a trade of Anthony Harris.  While I don't really want to make that move, that's the play that's there to be had.  He won't be on the team in 2021, so the best option for the future is to see what can be got for him now and then ride the remainder of the season with Iloka or Metellus.  

Once the offseason hits, then the discussions begin with both Reiff and Harrison Smith on potential short-term extensions to lower their cap numbers.  Reiff, if he doesn't agree to a short-term extension, will likely be cut.  But, with Harry, we'd like to just extend him until the end of his career, so he can end it as a Viking.  

I may add more later when I have more time.

Return to the 1969 era uniforms.  Open the giant doors of US Bank Stadium on bitterly cold days...especially when playing warm weather or dome teams.  Improve, through any means necessary, the offensive and defensive lines.  Find successor of Cousins early in draft...move up if necessary. Petition the nfl to allow those teams who didn't go to the playoffs in 2020 to have larger cap numbers. 

I'd stick with the coach. Zimmer isn't perfect but he's good enough. 

Then, look at the weaknesses on my team:

1) Both Guards stink and Riley Reiff will probably be let go. I still have Ezra Cleveland to develop but that still leaves me with 2 open spots on the OL. That needs fixed.

2) the Defensive Tackles were outright putrid this year. There might be some promise with Watts and Lynch, plus I get Pierce back in 2021 but I desperately need a 3T/UT. That's a core piece to my defense.

3) the QB is solid, but not great. How far can I really get with him? 

4) The corners were toast this year but they are all young. Do I get a veteran to help them out or hope things start to click in year 2?

5) Anthony Harris and Kyle Rudolph are leaders on this team, but they are getting older and I'm strapped for cash. Do we hold onto them or do I let them test the market and consider bringing them back on a cheaper deal?

These 5 questions are the first things I consider. Next I look at draft capital and if changes at the coaching level (not including Zimmer) must take place.

• Like 1

Do whatever is necessary to lose the rest of the season.  Get out of the Kirk contract with the least amount of Cap hit, find a back-up type QB that can mentor the new QB going forward.  Put vets on the trading blockthat will not be a part of the 2022 Vikings  (Rudolf, Smith, Thielen, Harris, Rieff, Cousins, for sure and will listen to offers on all others).

Try to acquire as much draft capitol as possible to try and move up in 2021 draft.

If this team loses double digit games I relieve Zimmer of his duties and hire an offensive coach (Looks Likely)

Continue to invest in the lines and defense. I'm already looking for a trade partner for Cook (Hated the idea of paying big $$$ to a injury prone RB).

I'd also see what the market for Thielen is. If you can get a couple decent picks say 2nd and 3rd I take it, He's in the back end of his prime and will be on the downturn before this team is a title contender again. 

Also heavily scout the "2nd" Tier of QBs coming out for one you can trade back into Rd1 to get to develop behind Kirk through next year when you get past his 41M dead cap hit in 2021.

Edited by Beavis

20 hours ago, rf54 said:

Do whatever is necessary to lose the rest of the season.  Get out of the Kirk contract with the least amount of Cap hit, find a back-up type QB that can mentor the new QB going forward.  Put vets on the trading blockthat will not be a part of the 2022 Vikings  (Rudolf, Smith, Thielen, Harris, Rieff, Cousins, for sure and will listen to offers on all others).

Try to acquire as much draft capitol as possible to try and move up in 2021 draft.

The least amount is $41M (and that's if you cut him before Day 3 of the new league year).  You can't cut him with that kind of dead money attached.   He's guaranteed to be around through the 2022 season.  

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The least amount is $41M (and that's if you cut him before Day 3 of the new league year).  You can't cut him with that kind of dead money attached.   He's guaranteed to be around through the 2022 season.  

Not necessarily true.  He could be a post-June 1st cut next offseason, and we wouldn't gain any relief, but also wouldn't take an extra hit.  His 2022 base salary isn't guaranteed for anything aside from injury until after the third day of the 2021 league year.

Or, he could be traded prior to next season to free up $11M in cap space

Edited by RpMc